Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardo View Post
Nothing to do with ladies hovering but bathroom etiquette;

I worked at a Navy training site that had a lot of young kids, probably 95% of them male, and it amazed me how many didn't lift the seat and pee'd all over it!!

Is this something that's not taught anymore?

Aggravating...
I see the same thing all the time in public restrooms. Little boy leaves stall and I enter to find wet seat. Li'l brats need a swirly.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Life could get much less stressful for some of us just by admitting that no wonder how excellent our training may have been, it is unlikely to be matched by many today. OTOH, there may be some things that the younger or less well drilled people do, that are helpful at least to them. And we we might improve our own experience today by going with the flow, however it seems to go. Of course one entertainment value of social media is to validate our own superiority, so I suppose in a way this is going with the flow!

Ha
Old 07-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
.........And we we might improve our own experience today by going with the flow.........
Ha
I'd be happier if the flow wasn't on the toilet seat.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #164
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are SO many things dirtier than a toilet seat... handbags, phones, keyboards, freshly dried loads of clothes...

[url]https://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/germs-toilet-seat/

Old 07-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Yes, there are indeed many things that carry germs.

The ones that are particularly bad are things that carry germs that you do not already have.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #166
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, there are indeed many things that carry germs.

The ones that are particularly bad are things that carry germs that you do not already have.
One of the benefits of growing up in squalor is that I have already been exposed to most of the bad germs in existence and hence have a robust immune system. I like to think I'm more of a threat to other people than they are to me.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
One of the benefits of growing up in squalor is that I have already been exposed to most of the bad germs in existence and hence have a robust immune system. I like to think I'm more of a threat to other people than they are to me.
You may have a point there.

DH did not have an indoor bathroom growing up. There was an outdoor pump for water.

He's got a good immune system too - as do his parents.

I was the only child, and had a stay at home mother. Which left her plenty of time to clean, and clean, and clean. My immune system is less than impressive.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #168
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post

DH did not have an indoor bathroom growing up. There was an outdoor pump for water.

I was the only child, and had a stay at home mother. Which left her plenty of time to clean, and clean, and clean. My immune system is less than impressive.
When I first came to this country, we did not have indoor plumbing and used an outhouse. I took a bath once a week in a big round galvanized steel trough;my mother poured water over me from a pitcher. I loved the outhouse, because the cool spiders lived there (my mother did not, for the same reason). Even when we moved into town and had running water, we still only bathed once a week. Me and my little brother in the same tub. I had almost every childhood disease there was - including tapeworm, ringworm, pink eye, lice and nits, staph infection, measles, mumps, rubella, strep throat, flu and tonsillitis (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few). I got bit by dogs, cats, snakes and people, stepped on rusty nails and cut myself with hatchets, knives and machetes. I ate food of questionable freshness and cleanliness.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:01 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post

I believe when indoor toilets became more common many old timers were very concerned that it was an very unsanitary thing to have inside the house!
Old 07-21-2019, 01:58 AM   #170

Quote:
When I first came to this country, we did not have indoor plumbing and used an outhouse. I took a bath once a week in a big round galvanized steel trough;my mother poured water over me from a pitcher. I loved the outhouse, because the cool spiders lived there (my mother did not, for the same reason). Even when we moved into town and had running water, we still only bathed once a week. Me and my little brother in the same tub. I had almost every childhood disease there was - including tapeworm, ringworm, pink eye, lice and nits, staph infection, measles, mumps, rubella, strep throat, flu and tonsillitis (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few). I got bit by dogs, cats, snakes and people, stepped on rusty nails and cut myself with hatchets, knives and machetes. I ate food of questionable freshness and cleanliness.
That was awful. I am sorry you had to go through that. DH had the same bathing situation but did not mention those illnesses. It could not have been that bad. He just mentioned being bitten by a scorpion which had crawled into his bed.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
I had almost every childhood disease there was - including tapeworm, ringworm, pink eye, lice and nits, staph infection, measles, mumps, rubella, strep throat, flu and tonsillitis (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few). I got bit by dogs, cats, snakes and people, stepped on rusty nails and cut myself with hatchets, knives and machetes. I ate food of questionable freshness and cleanliness.
I also had a robust upbringing with the same experience. Plus we were poor so would eat expired or nearly expired items in the grocery store.

Even today I get accused of having a cast iron stomach. But I do put the toilet lid down. No point in tempting fate!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #172
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For some reason as a child I used to think that the coldest water in the house was in the toilet. I am not sure where that idea came from though in one place we lived I used to have to carry buckets of spring water in to use to flush the toilet so maybe I equated toilet water with ice cold spring water. I have a very robust immune system!!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #173
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don’t understand why sitzpinkler would be a derogatory term - I guess not considered manly. Men sitting to pee is quite common in Germany and Austria as far as I know, and I suspect it’s due to their bizarre shelf toilets. Not much water to hit - very small area near the front of the bowl and shallow. You can really make a mess trying to stand and pee in those - you’ll almost certainly hit the dry shelf.
Ahh, the Scheissplatz - allows you to examine your feces afterwards. Only problem is you are constantly cleaning skid marks (every German toilet has a brush and a sign telling you to scrub afterwards) and a courtesy flush is really mandatory.......as for the splash reverb from a urine stream, I am female, so didn't think about that, but upon contemplation, can see that happening with the 'platz."
Old 07-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
And we we might improve our own experience today by going with the flow, however it seems to go. Of course one entertainment value of social media is to validate our own superiority, so I suppose in a way this is going with the flow!

Ha
Going with the flow!

:: rimshot ::
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Ahh, the Scheissplatz - allows you to examine your feces afterwards. Only problem is you are constantly cleaning skid marks (every German toilet has a brush and a sign telling you to scrub afterwards)
That cant be sanitary...
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ahh, the Scheissplatz - allows you to examine your feces afterwards. Only problem is you are constantly cleaning skid marks (every German toilet has a brush and a sign telling you to scrub afterwards) and a courtesy flush is really mandatory.......as for the splash reverb from a urine stream, I am female, so didn't think about that, but upon contemplation, can see that happening with the 'platz."
I have read that Germans have a history of .... let us say a fecal focus. Don’t know how widespread or neurotic this gets.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:27 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I didn't see this in the Munich airport. I was kind of hoping to see this much talked about feature! I guess I need to travel deeper into the country.

Speaking of the Munich airport... I would rate the men's room in the newer terminal as the cleanest, best public restroom I've seen anywhere. Nice private stalls, well attended, etc. Very nice for a high usage space. Makes any USA airport restroom look third world.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

I have not encountered the above type of toilet in Germany, but I have been there only a few times.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

It wasn't until the early 2000's that the average restroom in Mexico even had a toilet seat. When Cozumel finally got toilet seats there was row after row of them in the grocery store. Seats with lids of every color. Was actually quite funny.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
That cant be sanitary...
Since it flushes I suppose it’s sanitary enough. Ours flushed well so scrubbing wasn’t required.

But I can tell you it sure was smelly before the flush! We learned to flush immediately! I really appreciated water in the bowl after that.

Only one of our Austrian accommodations had the poop shelf. It was a less expensive small town inn, rather than a larger city hotel.