Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I had lasix done 9 years ago when I was 48 and my vision is still 20/15. It is normal to need reading glasses as we age, and I do use them. The surgery does not change the normal progression of aging in the eye.

The main reason I had the surgery is that I was near sighted and wore glasses or contacts since I was in my early 20s. The wonderful thing is that I do not need glasses for normal daily activities, only close up work; reading, computer and knitting or sewing. It was absolutely worth it to me and I would do it again.

I figured I spent more of my time doing things that are not close up, so wearing reading glasses is not done during the majority of my day.
Same as me. I'm quite happy. Has been 13 years and am now using reading glasses.

Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
Lasik about 10 years ago and I'm happy to be done with contacts. I wear reading glasses as they warned me I would since Lasik wouldn't help with the lens aging. I don't think my vision is quite as good as when I had the surgery but it is still very functional.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #23
Just had Lasik on one eye for distance seeing 5 weeks ago. Love it. Really checked out the Dr. who did it and he has an international glowing reputation with over 12,000 of these on his resume. Worth every penny to me, since I wore glasses for distance since I was 12.
My vision was 20/60. Now it's 20/15 in the eye he did for distance and 20/60 in the eye he left alone for close-up vision. Since my eyes were really healthy and not much had to be done, it has really made a huge difference in my life. Unless something happens bad down the road, I'm a believer myself.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by KM View Post
It will be interesting to see if they mention your pupils. My constricted pupils were larger than the guidelines recommended for maximum dilated pupil in the dark. So the measurement in the dark was way over. I doubt I would ever have it done now, but I am sure the surgery has advanced since then - so I will be interested to hear if they even mention your pupils.
Well I haven't even decided if I'm going to pursue this - but I'll let you know if I do.
Retired July 2, 2010 at 62. My only regret is that I couldn't do it sooner.
thinker25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
I had LASIK at age 55, 10 years ago. It was marvelous. Before that, I was severely near-sighted with serious astigmatism; I couldn't do anything without my thick glasses. After LASIK (I chose monovision--my dominant left eye was used for seeing distance; my right eye for reading), I could run (I was a marathoner), swim and bike (I became a triathlete after LASIK), hike, teach my university classes, and do most things with no glasses. I still needed glass for the computer and piano.

Since then, my eyes have deteriorated. I now wear glasses almost full time for regular daily activities, but my vision is still good enough to run, bike, and swim without corrective glasses.

I've been thrilled with my LASIK, but I don't plan on having it done again at my age (65). I'll just keep wearing glasses most of the time.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #26
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
(welcome to older age... -I'm 62)
I've worn monovision contacts for 40 years.

When I was in having my eyes checked a few months ago, I asked about Lasik out of idle curiosity. I was surprised to hear the doctor say that her company doesn't do laser correction of anyone over 60. When I asked why, she said it's because, at that age, it's just a matter of time before you'll need cataract surgery (where they implant a interocular corrective lens), so they don't want to thin-out your cornea unnecessarily beforehand.

Just to verify, I googled 'cataracts' and this is what I found on the first site in the search results...

Cataracts are the leading cause of visual loss in adults age 55 and older and the leading cause of blindness worldwide. By age 65, about half of the human population has a cataract, and by age 75, almost everyone has a cataract. However, cataracts are highly treatable, and through advances in both cataract surgery and intraocular lenses (IOLs), more people are experiencing full restoration of their vision than ever before.

omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote