LDL Measurements and Statin Use Poll

Tell us about your LDL measurements and statin use

• Thought there was only one LDL measurement, using statin.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Thought there was only one LDL measurement, not using statin.

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • Heard about LDL particle size, never had an LDL-P test, using statin.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Heard about LDL particle size, never had an LDL-P test, not using statin.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Had an LDL-P test, using statin.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Had an LDL-P test, not using statin.

Votes: 13 11.3%

• Total voters
I just received my latest numbers over the phone today, and I don't know what to think. My LDL was 111 which is what it has been close to last year and still a lot lower than it was prior to me religiously eating oatmeal and walnuts. But my HDL has previously sunk each time: 45,43,41 to 38. Today it is was 53. I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried. Curious how it reversed course so dramatically with no lifestyle change. In fact, I didn't even think I was getting tested until today, but since I hadn't ate yet today, they sent me down for the bloodwork. If I had known I was going to be tested, I wouldn't have gouged myself on pizza the previous 2 days. I am sure that didn't help the HDL numbers any.

But my HDL has previously sunk each time: 45,43,41 to 38. Today it is was 53. I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried. Curious how it reversed course so dramatically with no lifestyle change. In fact, I didn't even think I was getting tested until today, but since I hadn't ate yet today, they sent me down for the bloodwork. If I had known I was going to be tested, I wouldn't have gouged myself on pizza the previous 2 days.

I think you should eat more pizza! Maybe you've discovered the cure we've all been waiting for.

I don't get the need for making public polls. Why not an old fashion anonymous one?
I thought I checked the right boxes...I'm new at the whole poll thing.

Also, I looked for an edit button, and there appears to be no way to fix it. Sorry!

Last edited:
But my HDL has previously sunk each time: 45,43,41 to 38. Today it is was 53.
Don't worry; be happy!
Any HDL above 40 is OK, but the higher the better.

I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried.
Not true. My HDL was always around the low 50s for decades. Since going to a LCHF diet a few years ago, it has been high 70s to mid 80s.

I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried. Curious how it reversed course so dramatically with no lifestyle change.
No idea why it would go up with no lifestyle changes but it is well known that you can boost HDL and lower triglycerides by cutting carbohydrates. My HDL is up 25 since I reduced carbs and has remained up for a year.

But I question the value of the calculated LDL that comes in the standard lipid panel. That's based on some well-respected studies I've read (I'll dig those up later, if needed), where lots of folks with "normal" LDL had cardiac events, and lots of people with "high" LDL were fine.

Here's a graph from one of those studies:
qLlov3l.jpg

So there was a group of 284 folks that lasted a pretty long time without "an event" that were in the high LDL-C group! And then there were 282 folks that were more likely to have "an event" that were in the low LDL-C group!

The study (LDL Particle Number and Risk of Future Cardiovascular Disease in the Framingham Offspring Study), as far as I can tell by attempting to read it, seems to indicate that treating based on LDL-C is probably not such a great idea. Maybe I'm wrong about my interpretation of the study...I didn't read every word, but it seemed like that's what they were saying. I think the other study was trying to say that statins work by lowering inflamation and lowering LDL-C is a side-effect, hehe.

--Dale--

I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried.
Not true. My HDL was always around the low 50s for decades. Since going to a LCHF diet a few years ago, it has been high 70s to mid 80s.
Mulligan, maybe those all those walnuts you've been eating have displaced a few carbohydrate calories!

donheff said:
No idea why it would go up with no lifestyle changes but it is well known that you can boost HDL and lower triglycerides by cutting carbohydrates. My HDL is up 25 since I reduced carbs and has remained up for a year.

Maybe that is why I don't want to know. I love my carbs, though I could still use part of Braumeisters. High fat and high carb diet! I eat a very healthy breakfast, but that is it. I wont have any willpower until I either get fat,my BP ever rises, or my doctor says my numbers are bad and something has got to change. I could live off of cereal, bread, and pasta. That will be very hard to change.

What specific carb foods did you reduce?

I thought I checked the right boxes...I'm new at the whole poll thing.

Also, I looked for an edit button, and there appears to be no way to fix it. Sorry!

No problem! I edited it for you, to make the poll private, since you appear to be OK with that change.

Feel free to report posts that you have authored and want edited to the mod team so that we can help. You can use the triangular white icon with an exclamation point on it. That gets our attention the most quickly.

Last edited:
sengsational said:
Mulligan, maybe those all those walnuts you've been eating have displaced a few carbohydrate calories!

Sent, it did a few...Captain CrunchBerry got kicked to the curb with the oatmeal and walnuts. Walnuts aren't cheap, I spend $10 a week just on those for breakfast. Captain Crunch is a very a tough character though. He has reintroduced himself quite often as an evening snack.

The study (LDL Particle Number and Risk of Future Cardiovascular Disease in the Framingham Offspring Study), as far as I can tell by attempting to read it, seems to indicate that treating based on LDL-C is probably not such a great idea. Maybe I'm wrong about my interpretation of the study...I didn't read every word, but it seemed like that's what they were saying. I think the other study was trying to say that statins work by lowering inflamation and lowering LDL-C is a side-effect, hehe.

--Dale--
This is a keystone study upon which the LDL-P thesis rests.

Ha

I think the other study was trying to say that statins work by lowering inflamation and lowering LDL-C is a side-effect,

This leaves me with a question:

Assuming statins work by lowering inflammation, are their alternative treatments/methods available that will also lower inflammation, without the negative side-effects of statins?

Last edited:
What specific carb foods did you reduce?
Pretty much everything in a box and/or jar that shows high carbs on the labels. That includes all cereal except for a brand called Hi-Lo that I order on line and love. I initially cut out almost all bread and pasta -very difficult for me. And I cut out almost all sugar - chocolate was a huge culprit. After loosing as much weight as seemed sensible (195 > 163) with almost no bread, cereal, rice, pasta, or potatoes, I slowly added some carbs back in. I now eat a little bit of potatoes, a little rice (e.g. 1/2 C cooked with a meal). For breakfast I usually eat a bowl of hi-Lo and/or a couple of hard boiled eggs, or I will have bacon and eggs, often with a bacon sandwich on Pepperidge Farm Carb Style bread. At home I often eat a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch with Carb Style bread if possible. I often buy 1/2 pound bacon/cheese burgers or Philly cheese steaks when out to lunch but will tear off about half the bun. Afternoon snacks tend to be nuts, cheeses, carrots, and celery. At dinner I will have a large meat or fish portion with a little rice or potatoe and a moderate to big salad. I eat all the salad, veggies (I hate them so don't eat much), meat, fish, fat, cheese, eggs, bacon and nuts that I want without counting calories at all. I eat some fruit (e.g. apple a day) but not tons.

This works well for me (in terms of weight) possibly because it fits my predilections so is easy. I assume it is not ideal from a nutrition standpoint because of low vegetables but nothing I can do makes them palatable in large amounts. I console myself by reading polemics arguing that you can get all the essential nutrients from meat and fish and I take multivitamins as insurance. :)

Incidentally, I am the cook so I make lots of sauces and crank out veggies for DW. Our dinners, in particular, are not bland.

Edit: As for numbers, I no longer track grams of carbs carefully but for the first 6 months I logged them meticulously and tried to stay around 50 digestible grams a day or less. Over the last few moths I am probably around 100g a day with some days about 150g. HDL went from 61>86 and triglycerides from 137>52 (that later was the last reading, I suspect a little higher will be the norm). LDL has gone up from 108>137 (so total cholesterol has gone up) but that and all the other changes occurred AFTER quitting statins. Years back before statins the cholesterol numbers were worse but I don't have a record of how bad they were.

Last edited:
Don, thanks for the details. Your HDL numbers are really great. Sounds like you are on the right track.

I was interested because your HDL went up. I looked back at my HDL and it's varied between 52 and 64 over the past 5 years. That's in the "better" to "best" categories according to the Mayo Clinic website. I run a lot and that takes care of any weight issues plus boosts HDL. DW's HDL numbers are always high, probably good heredity working in her favor.

In a previous thread you didn't think highly of red yeast extract. That got me to looking back at previous cholesterol results and why I went on the stuff. Talked to my doc and he said if I dropped it to do another test a few months after. So I dropped the red yeast and boosted my veggie + fruit intake. Latest cholesterol readings were very good so I must be doing something right. Thanks for your previous thoughts on that stuff!

I looked up the LCHF diet here LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com. I really like fruit, chocolate and several of the other items on their "kill" list. Since I don't have weight issues and the cholesterol readings are OK, I'll just moderate some of my diet in this area. But it's interesting to think about this, so thanks to everyone who mentioned this.

Last edited:
I assume it is not ideal from a nutrition standpoint because of low vegetables but nothing I can do makes them palatable in large amounts.

A the risk of being black-balled by the ulta-low-fat crowd ..... Have you tried a small amount of butter with your veggies? Maybe 1 tsp per serving? Or dress them in a bit of olive oil and a dash of lemon, salt and pepper. I like the anti-cancer

You diet seems similar to mine though I do eat a lot more veggies and probably somewhat less meat. Mainly, its lower carbs in general, much less sugar in particular, diversity in food types, moderation in food types, and Just Eat Real Food.

It seems to be working well for you. One can't argue with success.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything in a box and/or jar that shows high carbs on the labels. That includes all cereal except for a brand called Hi-Lo that I order on line and love.

I checked out the Hi-Lo and it certainly looks better than most modern cereals. Like most modern cereals it is a bit of a Frankenfood and does not fit into my just eat real food mentality. But.... if it satisfies the urges and keeps one from pigging out on Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, that's a good thing. Like my old grand pappy always said, "Never let the perfect become the enemy of the good."

Last edited:
A the risk of being black-balled by the ulta-low-fat crowd ..... Have you tried a small amount of butter with your veggies? Maybe 1 tsp per serving? Or dress them in a bit of olive oil and a dash of lemon, salt and pepper. I like the anti-cancer
I cook lots of them for DW, the kids, and the grand kids and use lots of butter, garlic, oil, lemon, thyme, etc. I can even get to where I take a bite and think, "not bad." But a couple of bites later and I am done. Raw carrots and cabbage are OK. But most anything cooked, forget it unless it is in the form of a pureed soup. Wait -- spinach mixed in with sausage for a stuffing is OK, as is spanakopita.

I eat all the salad, veggies (I hate them so don't eat much), meat, fish, fat, cheese, eggs, bacon and nuts that I want without counting calories at all. I eat some fruit (e.g. apple a day) but not tons.

This works well for me (in terms of weight) possibly because it fits my predilections so is easy. I assume it is not ideal from a nutrition standpoint because of low vegetables but nothing I can do makes them palatable in large amounts.
I think this sort of distaste for vegetables may be based on individual differences in taste chemistry.

I have never eaten a vegetable that I didn't like, as long as it was not overcooked or otherwise messed up in preparation. Most of the time until the last 20 years or so when men began to be more experimental about vegetables I tended to like veggies much more than the average American man.

I remember eating other guys' parsley or asparagus or endive at training table or in the dorm.

Ha

I think this sort of distaste for vegetables may be based on individual differences in taste chemistry.

No doubt in my mind that you're right. The only vegetables I've ever disliked were brussels sprouts, wax beans, and lima beans.

Within the last 5-10 years, I've actually developed a liking for brussels sprouts, but the others are still non-starters.

There is probably an environmental aspect to my peculiarity. When I was a kid, we had very little money and my mother was probably the world's worst cook. I ate so many boiled potatoes, wax beans and lima beans (the only way my mom knew to cook anything was to boil it to death), that even the thought of those items sends a chill up my spine.

No doubt in my mind that you're right. The only vegetables I've ever disliked were brussels sprouts, wax beans, and lima beans.

Within the last 5-10 years, I've actually developed a liking for brussels sprouts, but the others are still non-starters.

There is probably an environmental aspect to my peculiarity. When I was a kid, we had very little money and my mother was probably the world's worst cook. I ate so many boiled potatoes, wax beans and lima beans (the only way my mom knew to cook anything was to boil it to death), that even the thought of those items sends a chill up my spine.
Over boiling tends to bring out the sulfurous taste and smell of things like Brussels sprouts and cabbage. And most people hate that taste and smell.

Ha

The secret to Brussels sprouts: steam/blanch just long enough to soften, then sauté with bacon...

Biggest medical con ever perpetrated by the drug companies. No statins for me, thank you very much.

Fat Head - YouTube

Kind of a corny movie, but lots of good medical stuff int he middle 1/3rd.

There is so much misinformation out there regarding cholesterol, LDL, statins, etc. it's unbelievable. In my experience, a lot of doctors are just as misinformed as the general public, so you really need to do your own research to understand it all. Personally, I would not take a statin drug under any circumstances. Moderatly high blood cholesterol is not only NOT bad for your heart, it's good for you (over half the people that die of heart attacks have normal cholesterol, which should tell you something).

Here are a couple articles that help set the record straight on a lot of these things:

The most important thing you probably don’t know about cholesterol

Why you should eat more (not less) cholesterol

Back
Top Bottom