Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Tell us about your LDL measurements and statin use
Thought there was only one LDL measurement, using statin. 24 20.87%
Thought there was only one LDL measurement, not using statin. 25 21.74%
Heard about LDL particle size, never had an LDL-P test, using statin. 14 12.17%
Heard about LDL particle size, never had an LDL-P test, not using statin. 30 26.09%
Had an LDL-P test, using statin. 9 7.83%
Had an LDL-P test, not using statin. 13 11.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
After 8 weeks on a vegan diet, I am going in next week to have my cholesterol tested again.
Please share the result if you can. I'm in my second week of a vegan diet to see if I can reduce my BP. I don't have cholesterol issues, but I am very curious to know if eliminating animal products reduces your cholesterol, since based on what I've read, it seems like it should. But it's hard to know what to believe sometimes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I don't get the need for making public polls. Why not an old fashion anonymous one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I agree, I did not notice this (bad me)and next time I will not participate in a public poll. I may well give the same information in a post, but then at least I am sure to realize what I am doing.
Wow, I didn't even know public was an option. Like Ha, I didn't notice. Is it prominently displayed when you take the poll? Is it even a good idea to offer public polls?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wow, I didn't even know public was an option. Like Ha, I didn't notice. Is it prominently displayed when you take the poll? Is it even a good idea to offer public polls?
Here is what it looks like, note the first sentence:

I'm trying to think of a good reason for identify respondent's choices but haven't come up with one yet.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Making responses public is one of the user selectable options an individual has when setting up a poll.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm trying to think of a good reason for identify respondent's choices but haven't come up with one yet.
Perhaps to see how folks fib vote in a public poll
Old 04-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I just received my latest numbers over the phone today, and I don't know what to think. My LDL was 111 which is what it has been close to last year and still a lot lower than it was prior to me religiously eating oatmeal and walnuts. But my HDL has previously sunk each time: 45,43,41 to 38. Today it is was 53. I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried. Curious how it reversed course so dramatically with no lifestyle change. In fact, I didn't even think I was getting tested until today, but since I hadn't ate yet today, they sent me down for the bloodwork. If I had known I was going to be tested, I wouldn't have gouged myself on pizza the previous 2 days. I am sure that didn't help the HDL numbers any.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
But my HDL has previously sunk each time: 45,43,41 to 38. Today it is was 53. I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried. Curious how it reversed course so dramatically with no lifestyle change. In fact, I didn't even think I was getting tested until today, but since I hadn't ate yet today, they sent me down for the bloodwork. If I had known I was going to be tested, I wouldn't have gouged myself on pizza the previous 2 days.
I think you should eat more pizza! Maybe you've discovered the cure we've all been waiting for.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #28

Quote:
I don't get the need for making public polls. Why not an old fashion anonymous one?
I thought I checked the right boxes...I'm new at the whole poll thing.

Also, I looked for an edit button, and there appears to be no way to fix it. Sorry!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But my HDL has previously sunk each time: 45,43,41 to 38. Today it is was 53.
Don't worry; be happy!
Any HDL above 40 is OK, but the higher the better.

Quote:
I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried.
Not true. My HDL was always around the low 50s for decades. Since going to a LCHF diet a few years ago, it has been high 70s to mid 80s.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried. Curious how it reversed course so dramatically with no lifestyle change.
No idea why it would go up with no lifestyle changes but it is well known that you can boost HDL and lower triglycerides by cutting carbohydrates. My HDL is up 25 since I reduced carbs and has remained up for a year.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
But I question the value of the calculated LDL that comes in the standard lipid panel. That's based on some well-respected studies I've read (I'll dig those up later, if needed), where lots of folks with "normal" LDL had cardiac events, and lots of people with "high" LDL were fine.
Here's a graph from one of those studies:

So there was a group of 284 folks that lasted a pretty long time without "an event" that were in the high LDL-C group! And then there were 282 folks that were more likely to have "an event" that were in the low LDL-C group!

The study (LDL Particle Number and Risk of Future Cardiovascular Disease in the Framingham Offspring Study), as far as I can tell by attempting to read it, seems to indicate that treating based on LDL-C is probably not such a great idea. Maybe I'm wrong about my interpretation of the study...I didn't read every word, but it seemed like that's what they were saying. I think the other study was trying to say that statins work by lowering inflamation and lowering LDL-C is a side-effect, hehe.

--Dale--
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Quote:
I was told you really can't boost HDL, so I have never even tried.
Not true. My HDL was always around the low 50s for decades. Since going to a LCHF diet a few years ago, it has been high 70s to mid 80s.
Mulligan, maybe those all those walnuts you've been eating have displaced a few carbohydrate calories!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
No idea why it would go up with no lifestyle changes but it is well known that you can boost HDL and lower triglycerides by cutting carbohydrates. My HDL is up 25 since I reduced carbs and has remained up for a year.
Maybe that is why I don't want to know. I love my carbs, though I could still use part of Braumeisters. High fat and high carb diet! I eat a very healthy breakfast, but that is it. I wont have any willpower until I either get fat,my BP ever rises, or my doctor says my numbers are bad and something has got to change. I could live off of cereal, bread, and pasta. That will be very hard to change.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
What specific carb foods did you reduce?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
I thought I checked the right boxes...I'm new at the whole poll thing.

Also, I looked for an edit button, and there appears to be no way to fix it. Sorry!
No problem! I edited it for you, to make the poll private, since you appear to be OK with that change.

Feel free to report posts that you have authored and want edited to the mod team so that we can help. You can use the triangular white icon with an exclamation point on it. That gets our attention the most quickly.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational
Mulligan, maybe those all those walnuts you've been eating have displaced a few carbohydrate calories!
Sent, it did a few...Captain CrunchBerry got kicked to the curb with the oatmeal and walnuts. Walnuts aren't cheap, I spend $10 a week just on those for breakfast. Captain Crunch is a very a tough character though. He has reintroduced himself quite often as an evening snack.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The study (LDL Particle Number and Risk of Future Cardiovascular Disease in the Framingham Offspring Study), as far as I can tell by attempting to read it, seems to indicate that treating based on LDL-C is probably not such a great idea. Maybe I'm wrong about my interpretation of the study...I didn't read every word, but it seemed like that's what they were saying. I think the other study was trying to say that statins work by lowering inflamation and lowering LDL-C is a side-effect, hehe.

--Dale--
This is a keystone study upon which the LDL-P thesis rests.

Ha
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think the other study was trying to say that statins work by lowering inflamation and lowering LDL-C is a side-effect,
This leaves me with a question:

Assuming statins work by lowering inflammation, are their alternative treatments/methods available that will also lower inflammation, without the negative side-effects of statins?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What specific carb foods did you reduce?
Pretty much everything in a box and/or jar that shows high carbs on the labels. That includes all cereal except for a brand called Hi-Lo that I order on line and love. I initially cut out almost all bread and pasta -very difficult for me. And I cut out almost all sugar - chocolate was a huge culprit. After loosing as much weight as seemed sensible (195 > 163) with almost no bread, cereal, rice, pasta, or potatoes, I slowly added some carbs back in. I now eat a little bit of potatoes, a little rice (e.g. 1/2 C cooked with a meal). For breakfast I usually eat a bowl of hi-Lo and/or a couple of hard boiled eggs, or I will have bacon and eggs, often with a bacon sandwich on Pepperidge Farm Carb Style bread. At home I often eat a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch with Carb Style bread if possible. I often buy 1/2 pound bacon/cheese burgers or Philly cheese steaks when out to lunch but will tear off about half the bun. Afternoon snacks tend to be nuts, cheeses, carrots, and celery. At dinner I will have a large meat or fish portion with a little rice or potatoe and a moderate to big salad. I eat all the salad, veggies (I hate them so don't eat much), meat, fish, fat, cheese, eggs, bacon and nuts that I want without counting calories at all. I eat some fruit (e.g. apple a day) but not tons.

This works well for me (in terms of weight) possibly because it fits my predilections so is easy. I assume it is not ideal from a nutrition standpoint because of low vegetables but nothing I can do makes them palatable in large amounts. I console myself by reading polemics arguing that you can get all the essential nutrients from meat and fish and I take multivitamins as insurance.

Incidentally, I am the cook so I make lots of sauces and crank out veggies for DW. Our dinners, in particular, are not bland.

Edit: As for numbers, I no longer track grams of carbs carefully but for the first 6 months I logged them meticulously and tried to stay around 50 digestible grams a day or less. Over the last few moths I am probably around 100g a day with some days about 150g. HDL went from 61>86 and triglycerides from 137>52 (that later was the last reading, I suspect a little higher will be the norm). LDL has gone up from 108>137 (so total cholesterol has gone up) but that and all the other changes occurred AFTER quitting statins. Years back before statins the cholesterol numbers were worse but I don't have a record of how bad they were.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Don, thanks for the details. Your HDL numbers are really great. Sounds like you are on the right track.

I was interested because your HDL went up. I looked back at my HDL and it's varied between 52 and 64 over the past 5 years. That's in the "better" to "best" categories according to the Mayo Clinic website. I run a lot and that takes care of any weight issues plus boosts HDL. DW's HDL numbers are always high, probably good heredity working in her favor.

In a previous thread you didn't think highly of red yeast extract. That got me to looking back at previous cholesterol results and why I went on the stuff. Talked to my doc and he said if I dropped it to do another test a few months after. So I dropped the red yeast and boosted my veggie + fruit intake. Latest cholesterol readings were very good so I must be doing something right. Thanks for your previous thoughts on that stuff!

I looked up the LCHF diet here LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com. I really like fruit, chocolate and several of the other items on their "kill" list. Since I don't have weight issues and the cholesterol readings are OK, I'll just moderate some of my diet in this area. But it's interesting to think about this, so thanks to everyone who mentioned this.