Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Tell us about your LDL measurements and statin use
Thought there was only one LDL measurement, using statin. 24 20.87%
Thought there was only one LDL measurement, not using statin. 25 21.74%
Heard about LDL particle size, never had an LDL-P test, using statin. 14 12.17%
Heard about LDL particle size, never had an LDL-P test, not using statin. 30 26.09%
Had an LDL-P test, using statin. 9 7.83%
Had an LDL-P test, not using statin. 13 11.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #161
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a doctor friend and we had a hot discussions about statins. I agree with his words.
Statins are damage control for people who refuse to make the necessary changes in their lifestyles. He talked of patients recovering from heart attacks that won't quit smoking, won't exercise, won't change their diets...they just want a pill for a easy fix. They don't listen to the know statin side effects. Dementia, diabetes, muscle loss, and a host of other problems.
franco45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post

Over the years all kinds of diets and supplements have been advocated for the prevention and treatment of heart disease. Lecithin, vitamin E, various B vitamins, cinnamon, hawthorn, fat-free, low-carb, etc. have all been advocated, however, none of them have really been shown to work. Statins, OTOH, have been shown to be quite powerful.

I don't think that we will see statins be discarded any time soon. I think it's more likely that the mechanism by which they work has a lot more to do with plaque stabilization on arterial walls rather than LDL lowering. I suspect that lower, fixed doses will be used. Since most of the drugs are now available as inexpensive generics, I can't think that anybody is going to get rich by cynically pushing them.
I read everything I can on statins (and retain little of the details) But my strongest takeaway is that the documented "power" of statins is merely to reduce cholesterol and not to improve health. The absolute (vs relative) reduction in CVD risk sounds quite modest to me and when overall mortality is considered the benefits disappear. I still wonder whether cardiologists and medical associations are continuing to base their recommendations soley on the belief that cholesterol numbers are hugely important. Thus because statins are the only thing they have found that quickly and dramatically reduces cholesterol numbers they recommend them regardless of the modest impact on health. For me, the potential (but not proved) dangers of statins are far more compelling that the potential (but not proved) benefits of cholesterol number reductions. I think going low carb and dropping 20% of body weight, coupled with naturally induced big increases in HDL and big decreases in triglicerides are serving me well. Adding statins to the mix might help marginally but I am more worried that they might cause all sorts of other problems. I see doctors arguing both sides of the equation with no clear winner so I will choose for myself and not blindly go with a panel.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #163
Dryer sheet aficionado

All the "studies" are suspect as all are influenced by drug company money. When the new report came out a few months ago along with a "risk calculator" that shows almost everyone needs to be on statins, it also came out that12 of the 16 people on the panel have strong ties to the drug industry. The number two lady of the panel had received over $360,000. During the study for "speaking engagements" from the drug industry. That says it all.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
All the "studies" are suspect as all are influenced by drug company money. When the new report came out a few months ago along with a "risk calculator" that shows almost everyone needs to be on statins, it also came out that12 of the 16 people on the panel have strong ties to the drug industry.
I found that no matter how 'good' I made my answers to the calculator questions, I was in the high risk group simply because of my age. Giving drugs to otherwise healthy people simply because of their age does not strike me as good medical practice.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
How much do drug companies pay doctors???
Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #165
Dryer sheet aficionado

How much do drug companies pay doctors???

"CBS reports that drug companies pay doctors 57 billion dollars per year to push, teach, and promote their drugs. Additionally the report sheds light on the fact that drug company funded research leads to biased and misleading research…"

This says it all.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Stop complaining about unneeded drugs, drug tests, and drug advertising! Instead, ask your doctor for a dose of Pretendatrin!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #167
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks Chuckanut for the good laugh.!,
Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

At the doctors office I have heard the drug salesman asking my doctor if he was a football or baseball fan etc. He had tickets to everything. I have also heard that doctors that prescribe certain drugs in large quantities get incentives. Can't prove the last statement, but the first one is true.
lynxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #169
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
At the doctors office I have heard the drug salesman asking my doctor if he was a football or baseball fan etc. He had tickets to everything. I have also heard that doctors that prescribe certain drugs in large quantities get incentives. Can't prove the last statement, but the first one is true.
All I ever got was a big pile of plastic pens.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

I know someone in the medical community who told me it's common for pharma salespeople to come in and bring food or take them to lunch.
Sounds like conflict of interest to me and to my body.
Sarpy is offline   Reply With Quote