Join Early Retirement Today
LDL particle size test
Old 07-17-2016, 03:36 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
LDL particle size test

I have been prescribed statins and have been taking them for over 10 years because of a high LDL number. I have read recently that statins my be over prescribed and their utility in preventing heart disease is questionable. I would like to know if anyone has had an LDL particle size test and if they were able to convince their doctor to eliminate statins.
My last legacy (1980ís) lipid panel test had a high LDL number (198) while taking 20mg of a generic statin. All other numbers are good (i.e. HDL = 47, Triglycerides = 125). I made some dietary changes a month before the test severely restricting processed carbs and sugar by being on a paleo type diet.

nubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
About three years ago, I got that test on my own through a local (Labcorp) office. Not very expensive, under $100 as I recall.
About a yer later, my doc got the same test for me unasked.

Interesting results, and probably worth doing.
I quit statins five years ago due to side effects. Although my doc would rather have me on them, he's OK with it. High LDL but very high HDL and very low trigs.

braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:26 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
The opposite happened to me. My HDL was just under the limit, but particle size analysis showed I was at high risk. They were the wrong size, dang it! Luckily it was well controlled and I had no side effects from daily 20 mg atorvastatin.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado
Thanks Braumeister and Latexman. I will call tomorrow and ask if they will do the new test at my next visit in 3 months. I also have side effects although not as bad when I was taking the 40 mg (now 20 mg) of atorvastatin dosage.
nubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Never heard of this test, thanks for mentioning it, I'll do some research.

I did notice, and shared with my doctor, that one of the side effects of statin use (muscular aches) disappeared for me when he reduced the dosage down to 10 mg. Of course, this is individual-specific.

Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
Some years ago I had a Heart CT scan (generally not paid by insurance). Lots of research later, I changed diet, exercised more, yada yada. 3 years later had another scan and calcium score increased, though under the "average" increase expected of somebody showing a calcium score >100. Then went to cardiologist who put me on 10mg Atorvastatin after a full panel that included LDL particle size. Kept the diet and exercise changes. 3 years later, another scan and while the score had increased, it was only a small percentage.

One more thing about LDL tests - next time you have one ask for a direct measurement. Most standard cholesterol tests derive the LDL number from other measurements instead of measuring it directly.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had the Heart CT scan last year. Doctor, who is a cardiologist, told me because of my diet/exercise/etc. I had nothing to worry about (also because I had substantially reduced my bad/increased my good cholesterol through a diet change). Hadn't thought of having a repeat of the test, especially since it isn't covered by insurance, but may consider it again in about ten years. The three main sources of biological aging are cardiovascular, immune system impairment, and stress, so I've been paying particular attention to these areas.
"He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough."
40/60 AA; < 2.5% WR; Delaying SS until 70
ER Date: 5/15/15
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My doctor kept on me to go on statins. I upped my exercise, cleaned up my diet and lost weight, but she still didn't like my numbers. I finally asked her what my particle size was and she sheepishly admitted she had not tested me. She ordered the test and I have the healthier large particles.

She has not brought up statins since.

However, since switching to a mostly whole food, plant based diet my numbers are good.

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote