legal scam

OldMcDonald said:
Only someone with a limited world view, and and even further limited imagination would be willing to accept the shody system we have now and declare it the best we can do.

This is a good start, but not quite a complete list. Let's not forget those who due to their business circumstances profit from the current scheme.

Ha

mykidslovedogs said:
Too much regulation in the prescription drug industry keeps drug costs high.

Haaaaaaaahahahahahaahahahaahahaa!!! Now I KNOW for sure that you are a shill.

Do you also tell orphans that it is their fault for not having parents?

mykidslovedogs said:
Medical schools keep a tight rope on the quanities of Doctors they let out in the system each year in order to keep salaries up.

What are your sources for the information you are stating as fact?! It is not a foregone conclusion that there is a physician shortage. By some accounts, the number has been rising disproportionately.

(There is some evidence that a shortage may be coming, however, as the hassles of practice and shrinking incomes make it a less appealing profession for the relatively marketable kids who now choose medicine. )

We have about 300 physicians per 100K population (look here). You'll see that very few countries have more than that. Maldistribution, maybe. Shortage? What shortage?

Public medical school class size is determined by state legislatures and relates to budget considerations rather than a preconceived plan to keep numbers down. Private medical school size is a proprietary decision and I have never seen, heard or heard of any collustion to adjust this based on supply and demand in 35 years of practice over 3 separate universities. What is your evidence for the plot to keep supply down?

Such irresposible statements don't enhance the credibility or your "arguments."

I think I'll let this be for a while. The discussion has run its course with me.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
What are your sources for the information you are stating as fact?!

He is obviously talking out of his ass. Time for him to get an adjustment done to his tinfoil hat.

I suspect this has more to do with expensive drugs than too much regulation:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/states/california/16297905.htm

$180 million in compensation for a CEO of pfizer who oversaw a 50% drop in stock price during his tenure....

Yea...its probably too much regulation driving up the cost of drugs....

PFIZER'S MCKINNELL TO GET $180 MILLION PACKAGE: Pfizer Inc.'s former chief executive, Henry McKinnell, who was forced into an early retirement in part because of investor anger about his rich retirement benefits, will get every penny of it and more, a new regulatory filing shows.

McKinnell's package, which the company disclosed in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission Thursday, totals more than $180 million. It includes an estimated $82.3 million in pension benefits, $77.9 million in deferred compensation, and cash and stock totaling more than $20.7 million.

The total value could grow to almost $200 million if McKinnell gets an $18.3 million stock award, but that is contingent on the future performance of the stock of the world's largest drugmaker.

brewer12345 said:
Yeah, yeah, you aren't thinking about your livelihood at all, right?

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." -- Upton Sinclair

Rich_in_Tampa said:
What are your sources for the information you are stating as fact?! It is not a foregone conclusion that there is a physician shortage. By some accounts, the number has been rising disproportionately.

(There is some evidence that a shortage may be coming, however, as the hassles of practice and shrinking incomes make it a less appealing profession for the relatively marketable kids who now choose medicine. )

I agree with the latter point.

Here is one article regarding Dr. shortages:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-03-02-doctor-shortage_x.htm

brewer12345 said:
Yeah, yeah, you aren't thinking about your livelihood at all, right?

You misconstrue the intent of my statements. Lack of universal basic care isn't a problem because it "isn't fair;" its a problem because it iis a stupid and wasteful way to run our healthcare system. Mammoth spending on "executive diagnostic services," hugely expensive treatments that benefit few people, and absurdly high drug prices while at the same time we have an uninsured (read: receives spotty care at best) population approaching 50MM is nothing short of foolish. Its high time we admit that the free market has (gasp! Milton Friedman rolling in his grave) resulted in a poor outcome.
What Brewer said.

donheff said:
What Brewer said.

It won't be too long before we realize that the free market has more than a few problems with the real world.

Ha

MKLD -- If you're really interested in helping people wth their health insurance problems, stop trying to bait arguments about the theoretical aspects. Really, really, really -- unless you're going to run for President, nobody cares what your (or my) opinions are concerning how things should work. By now it should be quite clear to you that your theories are decidedly a minority view -- many informed Americans, including doctors and patients, hate the present system. However, it seems to me that people care about the factual basis of getting healthcare insurance, which you know a lot about. When you share this information, you're helping us all. BUt when you bait arguments, you're fouling the drinking water.

jeff2006 said:
By now it should be quite clear to you that your theories are decidedly a minority view

As with any conservative view on this site.

jeff2006 said:
MKLD -- If you're really interested in helping people wth their health insurance problems, stop trying to bait arguments about the theoretical aspects. Really, really, really -- unless you're going to run for President, nobody cares what your (or my) opinions are concerning how things should work. By now it should be quite clear to you that your theories are decidedly a minority view -- many informed Americans, including doctors and patients, hate the present system. However, it seems to me that people care about the factual basis of getting healthcare insurance, which you know a lot about. When you share this information, you're helping us all. BUt when you bait arguments, you're fouling the drinking water.

Who's baiting?...
I was discussing and defending my views, these are "bait"

Second post on a thread that I didn't start...."Some have implied that this is your fault because you failed to make the "choices" you should have regarding insurance over the years."

"IMHO, you are seriously out of touch with the plight of 10s of millions of Americans "

"Yeah, yeah, you aren't thinking about your livelihood at all, right?"

"Haaaaaaaahahahahahaahahahaahahaa!!! Now I KNOW for sure that you are a shill."

"What are your sources for the information you are stating as fact?!"

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." --

"Ah, yes, USAToday. Better source than any medical journal..." (as if a medical journal would certainly have no career bias...)

Jeff, you are right, these conversations just go in circles....sorry....people just know how to hit my hot buttons....I'll try to resist....

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Sorry for your hassles, LG4NB. As if your year hasn't already been tough enough.

BTW, my observation over the decades suggests that the "pre-existing timer" does not start ticking when you first see your doctor for a problem, but rather from when you tell the doctor the symptoms started

Some have implied that this is your fault because you failed to make the "choices" you should have regarding insurance over the years.

thanx doc. also for info on the timing issue. but you know, rich, even on my making choices, i have always chosen the most expensive, best plan offered by my company. and there has been no gap in my medical insurance in my entire life. so it’s a little disappointing to know i’m getting penalized for being such a good player in their system.

mykidslovedogs said:
First, let me just say that it doesn't say much for insurance brokers who allow their clients to be tricked into thinking that a private policy will cover any pre-existing condition.

lovedogs, it wasn’t an agent, it was the actual insurance company themselves. i tend to be brand loyal. i didn't even start eating jiff until decades after my mother stopped making my sandwiches with skippy. i tried to talk to the original sales guy again but apparently the bait department is no longer involved. now i have only to deal with the switch department.

Another possible fix is to teach our young about obtaining good coverage before pre-existing conditions arise…Lazy, I do not believe it is your fault for the unfortunate situation you are in. You are a victim of the times.

ah, but there, you see, is the rub. because i did have good coverage and with the very same company who will be covering me now. the only difference is before it was out of the group pocket and now it in the private one of the same pair of pants. what is this, creationism? how can something be pre-existing if it was always existing. this is no chicken or egg scenario; this is nothing but a shell game.

now why do i suddenly have a yen for a egg salad sandwich?

tomz said:
Don't HIPAA regulations require them to sell you a conversion policy without exclusions (albeit at a higher price) after your COBRA runs out? Did you get the private insurance policy as part of a HIPAA?

sorry but i do not know what hipaa is so do not know how to answer this. i decided to keep the policy they gave me even though i feel at their mercy.

what is also outrageous is how they handled this. as i mentioned in another post they also increased my premium because of bmi which is all out of wack because i actually have more muscle than fat. point here that when they increased my premium they simply wrote me a note saying that they will contact my bank to withdraw a greater sum each month, as if my bank account is their bank account. such arrogance; it is disgusting.

Martha said:
Lazy, in Florida you have rights under federal law (HIPAA) after your COBRA expires to either get a conversion plan from your current insurance company with no preexisting condition exclusions or if a conversion policy is not available, to buy a HIPAA compliant policy from another insurance company which also will have no preexisting condition exclusions. See the Georgetown university guide for your rights in Florida: http://healthinsuranceinfo.net/fl00.html

thank you martha. i could have cobra run one more month though this one is already paid for to start dec 31. see, this is why i should never have taken a break from the early-retirement group. but i will contact them next week and see what they say. also maybe i can contact the insurance commissioner here and have something done after the fact if i don't get too paranoid that i'll only be rocking the boat. will study the issue over the weekend. also still need to read the rest of the commentary here. always such great imput from you all.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
lovedogs, it wasn’t an agent, it was the actual insurance company themselves. i tend to be brand loyal. i didn't even start eating jiff until decades after my mother stopped making my sandwiches with skippy. i tried to talk to the original sales guy again but apparently the bait department is no longer involved. now i have only to deal with the switch department.

ah, but there, you see, is the rub. because i did have good coverage and with the very same company who will be covering me now. the only difference is before it was out of the group pocket and now it in the private one of the same pair of pants. what is this, creationism? how can something be pre-existing if it was always existing. this is no chicken or egg scenario; this is nothing but a shell game.

Sadly, some insurance service reps (the ones that work at the insurance companies) aren't always as well trained in the State and Federal laws as they should be. I would really suggest finding a good, independent broker, that you can work with who is licensed in your state. It sounds like, other than the glaucoma, you are in extremely good health. You should be able to find a good solution to help you get through early retirement, until Medicare becomes available to you. A good source for finding an independent broker in your state is here:

http://www.nahu.org/consumer/findagent.cfm

An independent broker can comparison shop and prescreen with different carriers to find the best coverage for the price. You might be able to reduce your costs significantly just by letting an independent broker do some shopping for you.

One other point, and this is just a matter of fact. You might have trouble getting any better rates or getting them to remove the exclusion rider by going to the commissioner. The problem is that private insurance, regardless of the fact that it is with the same carrier you had in a group, operates under a completely different set of laws and regulations than group insurance. Believe it or not, the insurance carrier, on a private coverage level, did have the right to rate-up for BMI and they did have the right to exclude glaucoma from coverage. That's just the nature of private insurance.

On another note, the insurance company should be reported for having given you false and incorrect information with regards to moving from group coverage to private coverage. The fact that you cancelled your old coverage based on bad information is terrible and should never have happened, and you might have some recourse there.

BTW, do you mind stating which carrier it was? I'm always curious about poor service and where it is coming from....

jeff2006 said:
Sniff, sniff, sniff . . . do I smell more bait?

Yeah, he's a master baiter.

Hur, hur, hur. Couldn't resist.

mykidslovedogs said:
One other point, and this is just a matter of fact. You might have trouble getting any better rates or getting them to remove the exclusion rider by going to the commissioner. The problem is that private insurance, regardless of the fact that it is with the same carrier you had in a group, operates under a completely different set of laws and regulations than group insurance. Believe it or not, the insurance carrier, on a private coverage level, did have the right to rate-up for BMI and they did have the right to exclude glaucoma from coverage. That's just the nature of private insurance.

Mykids, I am going to dog you on making sure you have your facts right when you talk about insurance because you are presenting yourself as an insurance agent and knowledgeable in the area. What insurance companies can do on the private market is dependant on federal and state law. Federal law provides some rights to people who are HIPAA eligible. States comply with HIPAA in different ways. In Florida, the state complies with HIPAA by requiring most insurers to offer a conversion policy with NO exclusions for preexisting conditions or if no conversion policy is available, to offer a HIPAA compliant policy with NO exclusions for pre-existing conditions. So be careful when saying what a private insurance company can and can't do. It really depends on where you are.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
thank you martha. i could have cobra run one more month though this one is already paid for to start dec 31. see, this is why i should never have taken a break from the early-retirement group. but i will contact them next week and see what they say. also maybe i can contact the insurance commissioner here and have something done after the fact if i don't get too paranoid that i'll only be rocking the boat. will study the issue over the weekend. also still need to read the rest of the commentary here. always such great imput from you all.

Most of the commentary here has been political. :p But I would look into your situation a bit more and talk to an agent about comparing the cost and benefit are getting a HIPAA eligible policy or conversion policy instead. My guess is that the likely high cost for these options may not justify the benefit of gettting the glaucoma covered, but you should check into it. And I would follow up at some point with the insurance commissioner on the bait and switch issue.

Martha said:
Mykids, I am going to dog you on making sure you have your facts right when you talk about insurance because you are presenting yourself as an insurance agent and knowledgeable in the area. What insurance companies can do on the private market is dependant on federal and state law. Federal law provides some rights to people who are HIPAA eligible. States comply with HIPAA in different ways. In Florida, the state complies with HIPAA by requiring most insurers to offer a conversion policy with NO exclusions for preexisting conditions or if no conversion policy is available, to offer a HIPAA compliant policy with NO exclusions for pre-existing conditions. So be careful when saying what a private insurance company can and can't do. It really depends on where you are.

Hi Martha,

I didn't go into HIPAA too much because it sounded like he is healthy enough to qualify for a private policy without having to convert and pay the exhorbitant conversion pricing. State risk pools also tend to be much more expensive than a private policy because they are guaranteed issue, (although that fact can vary depending on the State in which you live). I think Lazy can qualify for much lower pricing in the private market without having to convert, even if he has to deal with some OOP costs for his glaucoma. Sorry I didn't make that more clear earlier.

Back
Top Bottom