Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
This was me.....except I lost it almost immediately. DH on the other hand, drank the stuff like it was a can of his favorite beer. Glad to know it might be better next time.
Ha ha. DW was impressed by my chugging skills when downing the prep solution.

Told her: "Honey, I did learn a few things in college."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

@Lisa99,
Thanks for the heads-up regarding Prepopik. I had my first (and hopefully last) colonoscopy today, and compared to what my wife had to go through, the prep using Prepopik was way easy. My doctor had me do the split dose (one dose the evening prior, and final dose morning of), and I don't really think the second dose was necessary.

I used ice cold water for the mix as some had suggested and I thought it tasted like an unsweetened mixture of lime/lemon juice (very tart). Really easy to drink such a small dose, and it only took a few hours to do its thing. Was even able to get a full nights sleep.

Not many people locally have heard of this. I don't think it is used broadly because of the expense (It was $104, but my insurance covered $30 and I found a $10 coupon online, so I paid $64). Still worth every penny to me.

Regards,
Wino

Old 10-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #23

Glad to hear it was a non-event!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I got to use MoviPrep recently, which is also a smaller dose, but was still 1 Liter of prep that I had to take 2 different times. Much better than a gallon though. It was also more expensive, but insurance paid for all but $25, and then got a $10 rebate, so I'm glad I went with it.

I'll look into Prepopik for next time too.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #25

Moviprep is the best drug I have ever used. It does EXACTLY what it says it will do
Old 10-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Glad to hear it was a non-event!
Yup...no polyps or any other issues, so next one will be in ten years. The doctor actually said that I'd probably never have another one because he believes that a blood/stool test will be available within the next ten years.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

The last time I had to do the prep, I used Miralax in Crystal Light. The Miralax is tasteless, pretty cheap (got the generic brand), and did the trick. Yes, it was a lot of liquid, but (as others have said) nothing like the foul-tasting stuff I've had in the past. With a widespread history of colon cancer in my family, I'm resigned to the fact that this is part of life. But I would not be opposed to an easier way...
Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #28

Mine didn't show any polyps either, but I still have something lumpy behind my belly button...makes me worried about my small intestine but the doctor thinks it is just a small hernia.

I guess at the point that I have small intestine cancer and can feel it, I am screwed anyway, so just hoping it is IBS or a hernia.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #29

I"m up for this a week from today...(can't wait...not!)

I was advised to drink the stuff with a straw but to put the straw way back in your mouth beyond the taste buds...makes it easier with the taste aspect.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Glad to hear everything came out OK. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Was it Ripuanewone? Or maybe Diarrheatol?

LOL....I just saw this! Hell if I know what it was but it worked and I was happy not to have to drink the other stuff. I'd done it that way previously, so was surprised that this time was only gonna be some pills. I'm pretty sure it wasn't either of the two you mentioned, though!

Crap! (sorry) I just realized it won't be much longer before I'll need to do it all over again.....
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I"m up for this a week from today...(can't wait...not!)

I was advised to drink the stuff with a straw but to put the straw way back in your mouth beyond the taste buds...makes it easier with the taste aspect.
Friends:
Had my procedure this past Thursday. All is well and it was a snap.

HOWEVER!! twelve hours later I was back in the hospital with a gallbladder attack which was removed this Sunday. Just got home yesterday! Arthroscopic procedure...amazingly swift recovery (so far....); still very, very sore (thank God for Percocet) but progressing nicely compared to what folks went through years ago.

Drs said there is no connection between the colonoscopy and my gallbladder attack other than perhaps I overate coming off the two day fast.