Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was at an aa meeting and they read out loud that maybe we should not hold hands and say the Lord's prayer at the end because of contracting the swine flu and other germs!
Just wash your hands people!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I read an article somewhere (obviously not published by the hand sanitizer manufacturers association) that our society's phobia about avoiding germs, using hand sanitizers, not having contact with sick people, is actually making us less resistant to colds. Apparently the body develops a natural immunity to common germs in everyday contact- when that contact is removed, there is no pre-existing exposure/immunity and people get a lot sicker. What is our medicos take on this?
I've read that too. I grew up in an environment where we always had at least one dog, a couple of cats, and various other critters such as hamsters, rabbits, birds, etc. I figure it must have given me a great immune system because I hardly ever get sick.

Now having said that next week I'll get swine flu and die.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I was at an aa meeting and they read out loud that maybe we should not hold hands and say the Lord's prayer at the end because of contracting the swine flu and other germs!
What ever happened to white gloves for the ladies? Have we learned nothing from Michael Jackson?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I guess alcohol wipes would be a bad idea at this meeting...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What ever happened to white gloves for the ladies? Have we learned nothing from Michael Jackson?
I used to have several pairs of white gloves just like my mother's, when I was a little girl in the early to mid 1950's. They didn't look so out of place back then, though I suppose times have changed. At that time and place they were just considered to be what one wore in polite company. Men had to wear hats outdoors.

Believe me, just because they were white doesn't mean those white gloves were sanitary to touch, especially mine. I would brush them off so that they *looked* clean, but ewww.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I....

Believe me, just because they were white doesn't mean those white gloves were sanitary to touch, especially mine. I would brush them off so that they *looked* clean, but ewww.
Better them than your skin.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Guess what...

Perhaps the dirtiest thing you will ever touch is paper money.
Maybe? But it could lower your drug bills.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #28

I think everyone should send their old, dirty money my way. Just trying to help, folks.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have also read some of the same studies - one in particular about how your keyboard and the paper money actually are home to more pathogens than the toilet seat. I also saw a "scientific" test on one of the cable pseudo-science shows where they tested the myth about storing your toothbrush in the same vicinity as your toilet (ie - same room) will lead to fecal bacteria on your toothbrush. Come to think of it - may have been MythBusters. Anyway, they did the test and it turns out that you will have the bacteria on your toothbrush no matter WHERE you store it. They had a toothbrush stored in a separate room, inside a sealed container - and it still showed some contamination.

I've also seen the same studies that say we are being too careful now - and losing some of our resistance. Since we live in China right now, I can honestly say that we are certainly not in that situation!! The discussion about the handles on the shopping carts makes me think of the carts here. Usually the babies here don't wear diapers - their pants have a slit in them for them to use (parents just pull the pants apart and whistle!). You see them all the time sitting in the shopping carts top "seat" with their bare backsides on the cart. Really gets you into the habit of not touching your face and washing your hands alot!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan53 View Post
I've also seen the same studies that say we are being too careful now - and losing some of our resistance.
When we'd go to sea on a submarine, the hatches would slam shut and over 100 people would start inhaling (and smelling) everything that the other crewmembers experienced.

And if you think a toilet flush spews a few feces, just wait until one of your shipmates stupidly absent-mindedly accidentally opens a toilet flushing valve while the tank's contents are pressurized to over 100 PSI for blowing overboard. Even if it was just for a couple of seconds, they'd catch a lot of sh!t not be able to contain the casualty. As almost everyone's noses could quickly tell, the submarine's highly efficient ventilation system would immediately whisk the particulate plume throughout the spaces within minutes.

Even without incidents like that, the week after the hatches went shut almost every one of the crew would suffer from some sort of rotavirus. (We knew it was an upper respiratory infection, but the corpsman didn't have the budget or the equipment to determine exactly what caused it.) Within the week, however, that would clear up.

After day 10 or so, nearly the entire crew would be healthy. From then on, with very rare exceptions there would be no colds, coughs, flu, or other respiratory infections. No alcohol or cigarettes, either (as far as we could tell) but plenty of chewing tobacco. This despite working 18-hour days with chronic fatigue and no sunshine (except for the periscope operators). During 90-day patrols you'd almost never see even a sniffle for well over two months.

But if we did even a personnel transfer, let alone bringing aboard more riders or pulling into port, then everyone would get another respiratory infection within the week. And if we went back out to sea then within another week everyone would be healthy again.

Admittedly we were among America's healthiest demographic, plus we were repeatedly inoculated for hepatitis & tetanus and tested for tuberculosis. Annual flu shots were mandatory, not optional.

But the immune system can only do its job if it has something to do its job to. Chronic exposure to contaminants and diseases appears to lead to a stronger immune system and, overall, a healthier body. If the body doesn't have a chance to learn how to cope with it, then it can be quickly overwhelmed and defeated. Look at what the original Americans and the Europeans did to each other with syphilis and measles.

So if your family & friends give you sh!t in more than merely the metaphorical sense, they're just doing it with your best immune-system health in mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blowing sanitaries.jpg (26.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #31

Back in the day when the DW and I had little money, we would often forget to put dinner in the fridge after eating. In the morning we would find the food and, not having enough money to throw it away, put it in the fridge and have it for dinner that night. We didn't get sick from it, but when we moved to Turkey it helped. We would eat on the local economy often. Everyone we knew got food poisoning at least once while we were there, except us. We blamed it on our eating marginal food before we left the US. Every time we move someplace new within a few weeks we get a new cold. I write it up to a new strain that we haven't been exposed to before.

Currently I deal with people from strange and foreign lands and rarely get sick. The wife on the other hand is sick more than me. The kid is like me and rarely is ill. He has missed one day of school out of 6 years due to getting the flu. His first year was not lived in the healthiest of conditions and he was taken from his parents by the state's social services.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

presumably you mean rhinovirus rather than rotavirus?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phardwid View Post
presumably you mean rhinovirus rather than rotavirus?
Presumably I do.

Although considering this thread topic and some of those underways I might mean both...

You lurked for nearly two years and then decloaked just to ask that question!?!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You lurked for nearly two years and then decloaked just to ask that question!?!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

As for me, not being of the female gender, being a Yankee, and I'm WAY too young to remember anyone wearing gloves.... ;^) There are many people here in China that wear white gloves (presumably to keep from getting "dirty"). You should see the gloves after awhile - really nasty looking. Unless you constantly changed and bleached them, I'm not sure how good they are at blocking germs. Maybe they just serve as a good reminder not to touch your face with your hands.