Let Me make One Thing Perfectly Clear...

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The following does not apply to me.

"We are all routinely covered in fecal organisms," says Michael Bell, associate director for infection control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion.
The germiest places you encounter in your day - WSJ.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was interesting that keyboards are supposed to be one of the most germ-laden surfaces.

I would have thought that most people don't share their keyboards with very many people. I am more concerned about bacteria and viruses from other people than I am about my own, though maybe that is a mistake.

My grocery store has started providing hand wipes to wipe off shopping carts. Now there's a surface that should have a lot of contamination with microorganisms. I don't use the hand wipes on shopping carts, though probably I should.

I remember when we used to have a bunch of communal candy dishes at work, with things like M&Ms in them. I read a study about fecal matter on candy in this kind of dish and banned "poopy M&Ms" from the office. There still are candy dishes but the candy is wrapped. And everyone gets a bottle of hand sanitizer on their desk.

I read recently that you should replace your shower head four times a year; apparently every time you take a shower you are spraying germs all over yourself. (This research performed by the Shower Head Makers of America, no doubt.)Julie's Health Club: Dangerous bacteria may lurk in shower heads

So whatever you do, do NOT take a shower in your office while holding a handbag and a bowl of M&Ms.

I read recently that you should replace your shower head four times a year; apparently every time you take a shower you are spraying germs all over yourself. (This research performed by the Shower Head Makers of America, no doubt.)Julie's Health Club: Dangerous bacteria may lurk in shower heads

So whatever you do, do NOT take a shower in your office while holding a handbag and a bowl of M&Ms.

Replace the showerhead 4 times a year? Seriously? Not an inexpensive proposition.

What about assuring the showerhead gets a vinegar bath at least 4 times a year?

How has man managed to live for all these 1000's of years? I guess ignorance may not be bliss, but it sure shortens the worry about list!

I read an article somewhere (obviously not published by the hand sanitizer manufacturers association;)) that our society's phobia about avoiding germs, using hand sanitizers, not having contact with sick people, is actually making us less resistant to colds. Apparently the body develops a natural immunity to common germs in everyday contact- when that contact is removed, there is no pre-existing exposure/immunity and people get a lot sicker. What is our medicos take on this?

By way of comparison DW and I haven't had a cold in over ten years- and we both fly nearly every week, exposed to a lot of hacking, sneezing, gagging, passsengers and their germ-coverd luggage- several of our co- workers who don't normally travel ( but presumably use hand sanitizer and avoid the turd-flavored M&M's at the office :D ) have taken one trip and been down with a doozy of a cold for a week when they get back- sure that they "got it on the plane"

I read an article somewhere (obviously not published by the hand sanitizer manufacturers association;)) that our society's phobia about avoiding germs, using hand sanitizers, not having contact with sick people, is actually making us less resistant to colds. Apparently the body develops a natural immunity to common germs in everyday contact- when that contact is removed, there is no pre-existing exposure/immunity and people get a lot sicker. What is our medicos take on this?

By way of comparison DW and I haven't had a cold in over ten years- and we both fly nearly every week, exposed to a lot of hacking, sneezing, gagging, passsengers and their germ-coverd luggage- several of our co- workers who don't normally travel ( but presumably use hand sanitizer and avoid the turd-flavored M&M's at the office :D ) have taken one trip and been down with a doozy of a cold for a week when they get back- sure that they "got it on the plane"

This is the long version of my mother's saying that you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die.

This is the long version of my mother's saying that you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die.

I wonder how old you have to be to have seen fruits and vegetables sold by the peck?

I ran a produce stand out on the highway from my Grandparents' farm when I was 8 and 9. I sold by the bushel, peck, half peck and also weight measures.

I think the word is gradually passing from use. I don't believe I have heard it in speech for quite a few years, even in the abstract sense of "a peck of trouble". It's pretty country.

Ha

Peter Piper is in big trouble then. Picking a 64 fl. oz. container of peppers just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I wonder how old you have to be to have seen fruits and vegetables sold by the peck?

I ran a produce stand out on the highway from my Grandparents' farm when I was 8 and 9. I sold by the bushel, peck, half peck and also weight measures.

I think the word is gradually passing from use. I don't believe I have heard it in speech for quite a few years, even in the abstract sense of "a peck of trouble". It's pretty country.

Ha

I remember vegetables being sold by the peck in the early 1950's. My mother used bushel baskets for laundry baskets (what? no Rubbermaid? :2funny:). Yes, I am older than Methuselah.

I thought it was interesting that keyboards are supposed to be one of the most germ-laden surfaces.

I would have thought that most people don't share their keyboards with very many people. I am more concerned about bacteria and viruses from other people than I am about my own, though maybe that is a mistake.

My grocery store has started providing hand wipes to wipe off shopping carts. Now there's a surface that should have a lot of contamination with microorganisms. I don't use the hand wipes on shopping carts, though probably I should.

I try not to be germaphobic, but I do use the shopping cart handle wipes. I can't imagine a dirtier place than where many different random people put their hands AND where they place baby butts.

I remember vegetables being sold by the peck in the early 1950's. My mother used bushel baskets for laundry baskets (what? no Rubbermaid? :2funny:). Yes, I am older than Methuselah.

you know what most people would say today:confused:? what the heck is a peck:confused::confused::confused:?

Working a few days with a plumber as a helper, would give new perspective to clean freaks. :D

I was at an aa meeting and they read out loud that maybe we should not hold hands and say the Lord's prayer at the end because of contracting the swine flu and other germs!
Just wash your hands people!

I've read that too. I grew up in an environment where we always had at least one dog, a couple of cats, and various other critters such as hamsters, rabbits, birds, etc. I figure it must have given me a great immune system because I hardly ever get sick.

Now having said that next week I'll get swine flu and die.

I was at an aa meeting and they read out loud that maybe we should not hold hands and say the Lord's prayer at the end because of contracting the swine flu and other germs!
What ever happened to white gloves for the ladies? Have we learned nothing from Michael Jackson?

I guess alcohol wipes would be a bad idea at this meeting...

What ever happened to white gloves for the ladies? Have we learned nothing from Michael Jackson?

I used to have several pairs of white gloves just like my mother's, when I was a little girl in the early to mid 1950's. They didn't look so out of place back then, though I suppose times have changed. At that time and place they were just considered to be what one wore in polite company. Men had to wear hats outdoors.

Believe me, just because they were white doesn't mean those white gloves were sanitary to touch, especially mine. I would brush them off so that they *looked* clean, but ewww.

Back
Top Bottom