Lethal Activity--Sitting

tjscott0

Recycles dryer sheets
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17sitting-t.html

itting, it would seem, is an independent pathology. Being sedentary for nine hours a day at the office is bad for your health whether you go home and watch television afterward or hit the gym. It is bad whether you are morbidly obese or marathon-runner thin. “Excessive sitting,” Dr. Levine says, “is a lethal activity

Apparently, we gotta be like sharks--constantly moving.

I read the article, my position of leisure is laying stretched out on the couch for hours on end. Since I rarely sit, it appears that I am going to be ok :) i have read about this a few times before. I believe laying around all day and working out an hour a day is not optimal. Working out does however give energy. Today up until 2 all I accomplished was reading the paper. After I had my hour workout, I got 2 hours of " things to do" knocked out quickly. One of my goals this year was to be more active besides just my workouts. Going to get an ipod so I can enjoy my walks more, golf club membership so I will be moving around more 4 times a weeks and playing tennis twice a week. Unless the knees cant take it of course.

If sitting around all day is lethal, then the healthiest, longest living folks around should be those who skipped school and quit school at a very early age to go hang out on the street corners or in pool halls, and then went on to be ditch diggers or to do some other physical type of work.

I just don't see that that is the case.

I recently purchased a fitbit to monitor my activity level throughout the day. While I don't exercise a lot, I always seem to be moving about. I was dismayed to discover, however, that I am sedentary (sitting) for substantial amounts of time every day.

This is a typical day for me:
6722653619_d93882e87d.jpg

I can't believe I spend almost 11 hours siting down during the day! Pretty eye opening...

I blame it on all the old spinster schoolmarms who would whack us on the knuckles if we fidgeted at our desks! A few years of that and it's amazing how quietly one can sit. It does make me wonder if fidgeting wouldn't be such a bad activity to add to our sitting habits. Sounds like it's not even the level of activity (for the most part) but just that there IS some activity. How's this?:dance: Makes it a bit difficult to type, but at least it would give me an excuse for my poor spelling.;)

I blame it on all the old spinster schoolmarms who would whack us on the knuckles if we fidgeted at our desks! A few years of that and it's amazing how quietly one can sit.

Imagine that, we had a cure for ADHD way back then. :rolleyes:

Bikerdude said:
Imagine that, we had a cure for ADHD way back then. :rolleyes:

This is the honest truth that happened a couple years ago. A lady took her undisciplined child to get tested for ADD and hopefully get put on medicine. She told me the doctor told her he didnt need a pill, he needed a paddle. She was not happy, but I thought he made an excellent diagnosis :)

I recently purchased a fitbit to monitor my activity level throughout the day. While I don't exercise a lot, I always seem to be moving about. I was dismayed to discover, however, that I am sedentary (sitting) for substantial amounts of time every day.

This is a typical day for me:
6722653619_d93882e87d.jpg

I can't believe I spend almost 11 hours siting down during the day! Pretty eye opening...

Very interesting. I might look into a fitbit. Thanks.

I had one of those step counters. But I stopped using it because it wasn't very accurate. It didn't count all the steps. But the fitbit looks interesting. Anyone else tried it??

Back
Top Bottom