Join Early Retirement Today

Life Expectancy
Old 03-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Life Expectancy

When the discussions get hot and heavy, and you don't feel like reading the links and entering the fray, here's a fun thing to do.

Check out your life expectancy. A fun project.

While a visit to the Social Security website gives the simple, quick answer, there are many other ways to explore your expectations for the future. Dozens of different ways to look... Check by health analysis, sex, ethnic background, family genes, occupation, location and many more factors.

My favorite... A check of what my life expectancy was expected to be when I was born. Sheesh.. imagine... back then, I was statistically expected to live to age 59.9. Less than age 60!...

Contrast that, to my current statistical life expectancy effective today.... 88.6.

If it all happens as expected, I'll beat the devil by 28.7 years. And that's without hardly even trying. The bonus that comes from being in the silent generation.

Checked out my coin (and paper money) collection, and found out that my Confederate money is rapidly rising in value.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here is male life expectancy by country
Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

And another quetion:
Do those who retire early live longer?
Hmmm?

Do those who retire early live longer? - BBC News

... your profession?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Expect.jpg (30.2 KB, 20 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

I think these are some of the most amazing graphs. I was introduced to them in a TedTalk some time ago. Great fun to play with.

Gapminder World
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
found out that my Confederate money is rapidly rising in value.
drat, sounds like I made the wrong choice by parking my cash in Federal Reserve notes :-)
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My favorite... A check of what my life expectancy was expected to be when I was born. Sheesh.. imagine... back then, I was statistically expected to live to age 59.9. Less than age 60!...

Contrast that, to my current statistical life expectancy effective today.... 88.6.

If it all happens as expected, I'll beat the devil by 28.7 years. And that's without hardly even trying. The bonus that come from being in the silent generation. ...
Careful applying those statistics. Life expectancy at birth includes deaths from childhood diseases, accidents, etc. As you pass those, your statistical LE keeps rising ( the 'failures' keep dropping out of the sample). But for you, it is binary, you are alive or not alive (excluding zombies, vampires, etc).

So if that LE table could have looked into the future, it would have said, even back then, that if you made it to your current age, your LE would be 88.6. It's not necessarily anything external that has changed (though it probably accounts for some of it), it's the sample group that has changed.

If you want to see that, you need to look at LE at age 60 (or whatever), back at some earlier time, and compare it with LE at that same age today.

Reminds me of the old joke, the local news is interviewing a man on his 102nd birthday, and the reporter asks, "But aren't you afraid of dying?". The 102 year old says "Naw, I've studied the subject, and very, very few people die between the ages of 102 and 103!".

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I think these are some of the most amazing graphs. I was introduced to them in a TedTalk some time ago. Great fun to play with.

Gapminder World
Thanks! Very cool!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

If you follow any of the futurists; Ray Kurzweil (Google's Chief Engineer) being a prime example, then your outlook on life expectancy might change. In his book "The Singularity is Near" he lays out the concept and supporting information indicating that the exponential growth we are experiencing now in medicine, robotics, nanotechnology, computers, etc. is reaching a point where many of us could possibly live far, far longer than what the noted linear charts indicate. The singularity is a point where progress is so rapid it outstrips humans' ability to comprehend it ... his estimate is that this should occur by 2045. His famous quote (and title of one of his books) is "Live Long Enough to Live Forever."

Personally, I plan to live to at least 300 ... dang .... gotta start saving way, way more ...
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #9

The software version of our consciousness can't be too far into the future. Will make backing up a little more imperative!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #10

It is all the dash between the dates. And turtles all the way down.