Join Early Retirement Today

Life Expectancy
Old 08-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Life Expectancy

Mea Culpa
A generally unimportant thread, only because I came across statistics that indicate jeanie and I have both exceeded the life expectancy of a person born today. 79 years, and we're 82.

This led to some more digging, to find out how long we were expected to live when we were born in 1936. That was age 62 (average-both sexes). Note that women were expected to live about 4 years older than men then, and now, about 5 year older.

https://www.infoplease.com/life-expe...-sex-1930-2010

Things are changing... life expectancy is beginning to drop.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/healt...ntl/index.html

Nothing to draw from numbers but overall a picture of life... and what can/could happen. Understanding "regression to the mean" ... an interesting concept that might be considered when projecting retirement years and needs.

We all look for happiness and safety in retirement, and attainment of the goal is what drives us. To go on and keep going to develop a safety cushion? To balance risk against the reward of extra time in the life we dream of.

In another thread I mentioned a friend who retired about the same time as we did, (he was 56)... and who died of a heart attack... back in 1993.

I think about this now and then, and look back to 1989, when a financial advisor suggested that I should continue working for five more years, to be "safe" in retirement.

Here's my own takeaway:

We don't know... we can't know.... and the decision to retire is personal. For us, the deciding factor was age... we were 53, when I had colon cancer. A long recovery, and the decision. Go back to work to insure a safe retirement? Take a chance... retire on a new, less than optimum budget and hope for the best, with the fallback idea that we Could go back to work. Yeah... that was the choice.

No regrets... and now 30 years of a happy retired life already behind us...with a theoretical, statistical life expectancy of another 7+years, to age 89. As mentioned in another thread, two of my best friends are 98 and 99,and smarter than me.

No matter... a flight of fancy and nothing new.. except... a thought for those who may not be happy in their working life today... Especially if you have that age fallback option, maybe to take the chance.

Like the tatooed guy with life philosophy on his muscled arm....
"No Regerts"
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As has been stated many times on this forum, the bottom-line equation:

TIME > MONEY

And I now, sadly, am among those with a friend who died (age 55) just as he was seriously contemplating retirement, and all the fun things it would allow him to pursue. Oh, and he had no (known) health problems.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was a LR (late retiree) because I had to keep medical for my brain injured wife. I retired at 70, and a few years lafter she passed away, married a wonderful lady who was also widowed.
I just turned 80, and joined the United Flying Octogenarians. The organization has a membership of over 1500, and the oldest member is 104!
I also have No Regrets!
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #4

A wonderful post "junior!"

Without invoking an exorcism, I had signs (to me) that it was time to move on.

1. Had to fly home immediately (on two occasions) to help DW with health scares
2. I was getting burned out; I think this is a natural condition for many - - -while others dread not being the big (corporate) kahuna; a very individual thing; in my case, I had a job since I was 10 YO (paper route) and only not working during brief periods of unemployment until 60; 50 years of w*rking = enough
3. While in my burning out phase, a guy a few rows from my cube died at his desk from a heart attack

I gave notice the same week as #3. 15 months of retirement has been a Godsend!
No regert here either
Old 08-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Things are changing... life expectancy is beginning to drop.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/healt...ntl/index.html
..."No Regerts"
One thing to bear in mind. Your life expectancy will be longer than when you were born. When my Dad was 90, his life expectancy was 3.5 years. He died at 95. Always outliving the odds!
Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
I know one should never make their retirement decision based on 'feelings' or 'signs' but I too am seeing and experiencing events around me that are leading me to stop the OMY thing and get on with life. For example, I just lost my 4th co-worker this past week. Causes of death included: brain cancer, heart attack, car wreck, and unknown (rumor is a possible suicide). On top of that, I just lost one of my closest childhood friends on July 4th due to cancer - age 59.

I know we can make our numbers work - just as imolderu did when he made his decision in the 80s. Yeah, it's scary as heck but there are so many other things I want to do in my life before I'm dust.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
I know one should never make their retirement decision based on 'feelings' or 'signs' but I too am seeing and experiencing events around me that are leading me to stop the OMY thing and get on with life. For example, I just lost my 4th co-worker this past week. Causes of death included: brain cancer, heart attack, car wreck, and unknown (rumor is a possible suicide). On top of that, I just lost one of my closest childhood friends on July 4th due to cancer - age 59.
I guess we each read our tea leaves however we choose.

We don't notice all the coworkers that aren't "lost".
We don't count all the childhood friends who don't die of cancer at a young age.

I guess it's just human nature.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

This is a timely thread. We have a bunch of new people in the group and my retirement letter is written, dated, and sits on the computer. I’m giving a lot of notice because of the physician shortage here. But if they find someone earlier than my target date, I will be even happier.

It’s time to live my life for me. I hope and plan to stay healthy long enough to enjoy it. As soon as my cash reserves hit my target, I’m done.

The Washington Post had a recent article about Jimmy Carter. He and his wife Rosalynn are great examples of lives well-lived.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
This is a timely thread. We have a bunch of new people in the group and my retirement letter is written, dated, and sits on the computer. I’m giving a lot of notice because of the physician shortage here. But if they find someone earlier than my target date, I will be even happier.

It’s time to live my life for me. I hope and plan to stay healthy long enough to enjoy it. As soon as my cash reserves hit my target, I’m done.

The Washington Post had a recent article about Jimmy Carter. He and his wife Rosalynn are great examples of lives well-lived.
Good for you and now it's your turn to enjoy life without the everyday stress and schedules. Keep us informed please.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I mentioned "regression to the mean"...
Some interesting "stuff" that some might find worthwhile. Tough read.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Regression_toward_the_mean
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am seeing close friends younger than me with serious health issues like rheumatoid arthritis and Parkinsons. My wife had a knee replacement and will be facing another knee replacement and two foot fusions in the future. My sister had a back fusion 2 years ago and is in misery with no alternatives.

I am 68 and look and move like someone 15 years younger. But I will be going into a defensive mode shortly to maintain my good health for the long run. I will no longer do any more moving or construction projects that are physically demanding. All I will do is ride my zero turn mower.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
gone traveling

Useless. See Life expectancy in the USA, 1900-98
So, my father’s life expectancy was 58. He died at 95.5 in January 2018.
My mother’s was 61. She is still alive (with 6 years of brain rot) at 95.5.

And, all of this meaningless for planning EOL spending.
You have to pick an age far enough out that you don’t wind up eating cheap cat food.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Mea Culpa
We don't know... we can't know.... and the decision to retire is personal. For us, the deciding factor was age... we were 53, when I had colon cancer. A long recovery, and the decision. Go back to work to insure a safe retirement? Take a chance... retire on a new, less than optimum budget and hope for the best, with the fallback idea that we Could go back to work. Yeah... that was the choice.
"No Regerts"
I am surprised to know that.
At 54, I seem to have a few health problems, none of them is going to kill me right now, but they do make me feel depressed.
My parents are 86 and 80 and their health is going down month by month.
flyingaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
A wonderful post "junior!"

1. Had to fly home immediately (on two occasions) to help DW with health scares
2. I was getting burned out; I think this is a natural condition for many - - -while others dread not being the big (corporate) kahuna; a very individual thing; in my case, I had a job since I was 10 YO (paper route) and only not working during brief periods of unemployment until 60; 50 years of w*rking = enough
3. While in my burning out phase, a guy a few rows from my cube died at his desk from a heart attack

I gave notice the same week as #3. 15 months of retirement has been a Godsend!
No regert here either
Thanks for the post Red, it describes the way many feel here. I can relate to the wife scares also!

VW