Join Early Retirement Today

Life expectancy figures misleading, change rapidly
Old 06-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Life expectancy figures misleading, change rapidly

Professor Austad talks about life expectancy in this interesting article, but I thought that the following clip gave a good insight as to exactly what "life expectancy" really means. It was news to me...

Quote:
“Life expectancy” sounds like it should refer to the expectation of future life, but it does not. It refers to the past. Life expectancy — shorthand for life expectancy at birth — is the average age at which people in 2008 died. Maybe we should call it death expectancy. Whatever we call it, it is a very precise number that tells us quite a bit about our present state of health. By tracking its change over time, we can see how health has changed historically.
We could calculate life expectancy for children born in 2008, but we would have to wait until all the children born in that year died. Don't hold your breath until that number is available. On the other hand, the Social Security Administration, having a vested interest in these matters, has already forecast (their word) or guessed wildly (my words) that a child born in 2008 can expect to live 82.7 years. Most demographers of future longevity feel this estimate is woefully low. Some, in fact, predict that children born in 2008 can expect to live more than 100 years.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Life expectency changes with age. So, I would think a child born in 2008 would have a lower age life expectency than say a 40 year old in 2008. The child has to live through childhood diseases, teens through accidental deaths and suicides, etc. Then, at some point, marriage .

Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
Life expectency changes with age. So, I would think a child born in 2008 would have a lower age life expectency than say a 40 year old in 2008. The child has to live through childhood diseases, teens through accidental deaths and suicides, etc. Then, at some point, marriage .
Yeah, that marriage is a killer! Gotta knock 10 years off your life.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, everything I've read says that men live longer when they are married. Women tend to live longer no matter what - married, divorced, widowed or just plain single all their lives.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the article added much to the discussion because what we are more interested in is human longevity -- the age at which the oldest among us dies. That number is not increasing at anything like the rate of life expectancy, which is affected most dramatically by decreases in infant mortality. The optimists among futurists think exponential change will start to dramatically affect longevity any day now but the jury is out on that one.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Actually, everything I've read says that men live longer when they are married. Women tend to live longer no matter what - married, divorced, widowed or just plain single all their lives.
From what I read, a married woman has a shorter lifespan than a single woman.... the opposite of a man.... but, not as drastic of a change...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #7

When infant mortality and childhood diseases were handled by modern medicine the life expectancy went up dramatically. It was never the case 100 years ago or so that the average person lived to only be 100. If you made it to the age of 20 or so back then, then you could expect a long life approaching what we can expect now.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
I don't think the cause is loneliness as much as we men do more stupid things to ourselves than if we have a lady looking out for us.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I don't think the cause is loneliness as much as we men do more stupid things to ourselves than if we have a lady looking out for us.
I agree - it's more that most women don't like the idea of men 70 years of age bunjee jumping from high bridges
Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
"Here, Bubba, hol' ma beer and watch me impress them young ladies over there!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Actually, everything I've read says that men live longer when they are married.
Or it just seems longer......
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Reminds me of a Matt Wahl song...

Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Why do men die earlier than their wives?

Because they want to

Bada Boom