Life is like Coffee

I guess I disagree with the whole premise.

"Be assured that the cup adds no quality to the coffee"?

Many things we enjoy in life are multidimensional, multifaceted. It is the total experience we are after. We don't usually go to a restaurant for just the food, there must be ambiance also. We don't just buy chairs that are comfortable, we probably look for style also. Why travel, there is food and shelter were we live?

Life would be boring if we were only after the function in all things.

I enjoy drinking my coffee (or beer or wine or water) out of something that makes the whole experience better. That doesn't cause me stress, that elevates the experience. It seems like such a simple way to raise the quality of life to a higher level. Does anyone really feel that drinking coffee out of a Styrofoam cup is the same as drinking out of a stylish, well balanced, comfortable (and functional - micro-wave and dishwasher safe), porcelain mug? Animals don't care about the dish they eat out of, humans do. I don't want to change places, and the new-age music won't make me change my mind about that.

Which makes me wonder - why add music to the video? It conflicts with the intended message - 'be assured the music adds no quality to the message'?

Sorry, I don't get it - even seems backwards to me.

-ERD50

And you kids get off my lawn...

I believe the intended message wasn't that beauty or music or whatever adds no value. It was that stressing and striving to have "just the right" geehaw, especially if it's a budget killer, does not necessarily improve the quality of life.

I have always drunk coffee from a bowl. Do not know if that is a testament to how much I enjoy life or coffee? I have a 10 cup maker and the two bowls I have every morning and 1 at night is the equivalent of about 12 cups a day, plus another mid afternoon espresso at the Cafe Z with friends!

There's a surprise. Aside from not knowing what's coffee and what's a cup, since you know, how would you have conveyed the "intended message" to a broad audience then?

I'll assume a bit of sarcasm in that 'surprise' comment, but seriously, I looked back afterwards at the comments section, and roughly 1/3 of them said much the same thing as I did. It's not an obscure viewpoint.

How would I convey the message? Seriously, I probably wouldn't. I personally find these little 'parables' to be condescending. If you haven't learned what is of value to you and what is merely 'keeping up with the Joneses', then is a little story going to change that? I think not - but that's me. It appears to me to be more like preaching to the choir (enough metaphors in one post?), and the viewers who like it are screaming "Amen Brother!". But are the 'sinners' listening?

I'm reminded of the response Louis Armstrong (thought it was Dizzy - had to look it up) gave when asked:
What's jazz after all?
"Man, if you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know."

I just think they jumped the shark with the 'cup doesn't matter' line, and they lost me at that point, and it strained the analogy. It does matter, but of course it shouldn't matter so much that we stab our friend in the back to get the better one, or take out a loan we can't afford to buy a diamond encrusted, mink lined coffee cup just to show up our neighbors. But I have to be told that? With sappy music? Not my cup of tea. But I do like coffee, which is why I clicked on the link.

And if your host brought out a range of coffee cups, you'd probably do what most people do (like when a plate of different candies is presented). Most polite people don't jump in and grab the biggest/best piece. They wait, take cues from others, and it works out. But if there were more cups than people, I sure would expect a Styrofoam cup to be left unused. What's the big moral dilemma?

I think I would have tried to say that we can enhance our lives with simple things that bring us pleasure. Like a nice coffee cup. And we should think about the cost versus the long term value in our lives. A nice cup is not expensive, you use it for years and years, you need one anyhow - so why not take small indulgences, when you can easily afford them? Think long and hard about the larger indulgences - is it truly bringing value to your life, or are you compensating for something else? But as I said, that seems so obvious to me, I wouldn't think of making a production out of it. Others see it differently, and the world is made up of different people. That's all.

Answer your question?

-ERD50

I believe the intended message wasn't that beauty or music or whatever adds no value.

Sure, but that is not what they said:

When we transition from a purely functional cup, to one that has some aesthetics, aren't we moving into the area of the arts, and of beauty?

That's why I think they lost it.

-ERD50

Sure, but that is not what they said:

When we transition from a purely functional cup, to one that has some aesthetics, aren't we moving into the area of the arts, and of beauty?

That's why I think they lost it.

-ERD50

It might make the experience of drinking coffee better, but does it really make the coffee better?

It's been shown in blind taste tests that wine [-]snobs[/-] drinkers can't tell the difference between a $6 wine and a $50.

Can You Taste the Difference? - On Wine - WSJ

Wine Tasting: Expectations Influence Sense Of Taste, Tests Show

YMMV...

Answer your question?
You're absolutely right, I was wrong, stupid and I couldn't be more ashamed of myself. Sorry for wasting your time, thanks for setting those of us who misunderstood it right, and I'll try to do better next time...
:horse:

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, I was wrong, stupid and I couldn't be more ashamed of myself. Sorry for wasting your time, thanks for setting those of us who misunderstood it right, and I'll try to do better next time...
Great apology! I can't wait for YW to get home, so I can try it out on her!

PS: You don't happen to have the Spanish translation of that as I do not recall ever teaching YW these phrases?

HFWR said:
And you kids get off my lawn...

I believe the intended message wasn't that beauty or music or whatever adds no value. It was that stressing and striving to have "just the right" geehaw, especially if it's a budget killer, does not necessarily improve the quality of life.

Bingo.

It might make the experience of drinking coffee better, but does it really make the coffee better?

It's been shown in blind taste tests that wine [-]snobs[/-] drinkers can't tell the difference between a $6 wine and a $50.

Can You Taste the Difference? - On Wine - WSJ

Wine Tasting: Expectations Influence Sense Of Taste, Tests Show

YMMV...

Isn't the total experience that matters? Isn't that how we normally measure 'value'? An upscale house in a decaying neighborhood doesn't have the same value as one in a safe neighborhood with a great scenic view, does it?

Looks like the link to the study is dead, but it just said 'members' of that science group - that doesn't mean that experienced wine drinkers can't tell the difference. I've spent time with certified beer judges, I don't think they are fooled too easily.

What's the problem? Different people can't see something differently? There some kinda law against that? I never said wrong/right - I said it didn't do it for me, and I gave my reasons. Why get all personal about it?

-ERD50

I now realize that in my earlier posts, I might have given the wrong impression that I sneered on people who liked to have the "better stuff". No, not at all. What I meant was the same as HFWR wrote.

Last edited:
I never thought a coffee cup could cause so much trouble. :)

I never thought a coffee cup could cause so much trouble. :)

:LOL: But you have it all wrong - it's the coffee that is causing the trouble! We are supposed to ignore the cup!

Didn't you watch the presentation? :LOL::LOL:

-ERD50

Semiretired2008 said:
Yep, that is why I would use the styrofoam cup. If I break it - no great loss. If I want a cup for the road no great loss. And no one can bludgeon me with it...

Ya, I read that article too. Crazy... Who ever thought a woman could kill a man with a coffee cup?

What article? And why would a woman need a hard cup to kill, if she laced the coffee with cyanide?

Did anyone read how Europeans are drinking less coffee? In WSJ this morning

Did anyone read how Europeans are drinking less coffee? In WSJ this morning

Does that mean the price of coffee will go back down? The last rise in the price of coffee was blamed on the 10% increase of coffee imports by China, which equated to a 30% increase in the price...

NW-Bound said:
What article? And why would a woman need a hard cup to kill, if she laced the coffee with cyanide?

It was in the newspaper this week. A 70 year old lady bludgeoned her I think 80 year old husband to death with a coffee cup. This lady also serves as a US Open tennis tournament referee. My guess is she wont make bail in time to serve in this capacity at this years Open.

Yep, that is why I would use the styrofoam cup. If I break it - no great loss. If I want a cup for the road no great loss. And no one can bludgeon me with it...

But then the environmentalists will get after you! Styrofoam has some problems in that regard, I think.

I'll rephrase.

There. FIFM (that's fixed it for me)

Yea, I never got the impression that anyone was missing the analogy/metaphor, some of just thought it was a poor fit.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom