Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Regarding your comments on safety, to be totally fair, I believe there have been FDA approved drugs over the years that were extensively tested but later pulled due to problems. So just because something has been clincially trialed/approved doesn't mean it won't turn out to be a safety problem/risk (ugh, look at all the disclaimers). Therefore, you could draw that conclusion for almost anything (drug, supplement, food, air, etc), so should that prevent one from using a supplement?
Maybe Rich can comment more fully, but I'd agree that FDA testing is not a complete assurance. The sample sizes are too small to catch everything, but there is (as I understand) this follow up monitoring to catch problems like VIOXX.

But your logic doesn't follow that NO testing is as good as SOME testing. Or that old phrase, "Perfect is the enemy of good".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Does anyone else remember VIOXX? I was in NY visiting friends when it was withdrawn. One of them was on it and really POd...
He would have been happier if it wasn't pulled?

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I have much less faith in doctors and medical science than I used to, and there's no convenient replacement. That is, even if I had time for exhaustive research on a topic, it's difficult for me to evaluate all the different studies (and I started my career as a scientist in a biological field).
I started my career in physics and now I'm working in molecular biology and it frightens me the ad hoc way a lot of medicine is practiced. I'm impressed by the researchers that I work with, but some of the doctors are pretty dumb. It's sort of funny to see their egos deflate when they get out of their comfort zone of bossing patients around.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
The real drug problem isn't illegal drugs it's the over prescription of legal lifestyle drugs. There are situations where statins are warranted, but changes in diet and excersise would be more beneficial in most cases. If drug companies were purely philanthropic organizations I might be more prone to believing the hype and advertising, but as they are in it for money I take the studies and marketing with a big pinch of salt
Nun, I totally agree with you, but the biggest problem is most people are unwilling to adopt good nutrition and exercise.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If Oz and Weil recommend it, that's more than enough reason for me to be extremely skeptical of it.
I worry about the "new-agey" aspect of both of these guys. Granted, conventional wisdom often isn't, but I'd prefer to keep my BS detector on max sensitivity.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Nun, I totally agree with you, but the biggest problem is most people are unwilling to adopt good nutrition and exercise.
Well, they have been given useless or flat out counterproductive and contradictory advice for so long a lot of people more or less think that all the doctor knows is whatever he's been told, and that is likely to be wrong or self-serving.

If medicine hadn't so often gone down the wrong road at full speed, loudly telling everyone what they had to do if they didn't want to die soon, medicine would have more credibility today.

Ha
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Maybe Rich can comment more fully, but I'd agree that FDA testing is not a complete assurance. The sample sizes are too small to catch everything, but there is (as I understand) this follow up monitoring to catch problems like VIOXX.

But your logic doesn't follow that NO testing is as good as SOME testing. Or that old phrase, "Perfect is the enemy of good".

-ERD50
ERD50,

I am not trying to get into an arguement with you over my logic, however, several of those links showed that some testing was done, however, as Rich pointed out, there has been no conclusive/definitive evidence to prove or dis-prove CoQ10. That said, there have been several small trials done that seem to confirm its benefits along with many experts drawing a conclusion that it is helpful.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
There are situations where statins are warranted, but changes in diet and excersise would be more beneficial in most cases.
Yes, and the article Martha referenced says this:
Quote:
No one doubts that it would be best if every patient had a healthy diet and weight and exercised regularly. Some argue that statins should be reserved for those who fail these lifestyle interventions, or who have genetically high cholesterol refractory to diet and exercise. The reality is that it is very difficult to get individual patients to change their behavior. Science-Based Medicine » Statins – The Cochrane Review
It doesn't seem fair to criticize drug companies and doctors for not depending on diet/exercise when they know that their patients are by and large not going to do it. As patients, though, we have a different slant on this, since we know whether we're doing good diet and exercise.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

For Dr. Oz, the following quote is appropriate:

The most important thing in this job is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've go it made.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Re Vioxx:
He would have been happier if it wasn't pulled?

-ERD50
He would have been exctatic if the FDA had not approved it and then found out that it increased the risk of death from the very disease that was the reason he was taking it! Silly man trusted the FDA!

Fortunately he lived to talk about it, but many did not!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, they have been given useless or flat out counterproductive and contradictory advice for so long a lot of people more or less think that all the doctor knows is whatever he's been told, and that is likely to be wrong or self-serving.

If medicine hadn't so often gone down the wrong road at full speed, loudly telling everyone what they had to do if they didn't want to die soon, medicine would have more credibility today.

Ha
Well, applause for that statement.