Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ha ha: Almost no public transportation. 8 miles of hilly road to town. Weather similar to SeattleŽs, less rainy.
What i really need is a complete transformation of my personality. But, yes, isolation is a negative factor. As for moving to my flat in town....Been there, done that... and had the same bouts of apathy and lassitude.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Going to have to bum a ride if you can't cycle there.

I do wish you the best of luck.
IŽve been waiting for the only bus in the morning countless times and no one has given me a lift!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:21 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
But like I said, a doctor can help (and will be happy to do so) if your spirits don't lift on their own.
A doctor is bound to say that he is too busy to mind my nonsense and to grrin and bear it. And I would agree with him. IŽd rather talk to all of you..

PS. Got a cat and a dog. And yes they make me happy.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This is all great advice folks, I'm feeling much better already

oops, wait a minute, this is Vicente's thread is it not

Vicente,
Glad the thread has been useful at least to you. You can even take it over. And risk boring the s**t out of all the members!
I like your idea of taking photos of my surrounding. Knowing how to post them successfully is another matter!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
ooooooooo...I like that!

I could make a long list of things I'd like! ....(to help out Vicente of course)..
Nothing too physically strenuous, please
Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Now Joe, let's not get too extreme. It may be that less taxing measures would suffice..

Ha
Clever minds think alike..... or something along those lines
Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
How about an Au pair, who comes in only during the day on weekdays? And with your poor eyesight, interviewing candidates should be quick

Just trying to be helpful
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

This thread reminds me a bit of an old computer program designed to analyze the syntax of a user's input, then provide appropriate but generic psychological advice.

Example (blue type would be from the computerized psychologist):
I'm feeling kind of blue.
...Blue? Tell me more.
Just kind of a lack of energy.
...Energy sounds important to you.
It is. I'm generally a bubbly guy.
...Tell me what you mean by "bubbly."
Full of pep, playful.
...OK, that makes sense.
What do you recommend?
...I am not sure that is for me to answer...
Well, I suppose I could join some groups.
..That sounds reasonable to me. What are the obstacles here?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vincent ,
I 've had mild depression and you can either go with the woe is me or you can get help for it . Sorry to be tough love but it is what it is . People have given you lot's of suggestions but I think you are not ready to get out of it .
Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

There are anti-depression medicines, and Americans may use these more than people elsewhere.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
A doctor is bound to say that he is too busy to mind my nonsense and to grrin and bear it.
I really don't think that's true.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #52

End to self-pity. IŽll follow some of your advice, but most of all, IŽll tough it out, as Moe, more or less, hints at.
Thank you all.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
End to self-pity. IŽll follow some of your advice, but most of all, IŽll tough it out, as Moe, more or less, hints at.
Thank you all.

Good Luck Vincent ! I've been there !
Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Here's one for the ladies. . Vicente, you say your wife is a darling. How about taking one workday/week and making her your hobby/obsession. Figure out something to have ready when she arrives home that would make her very happy. Could be something different every week.
I really like that one too!

My DH is being treated for depression. He is on medication and see his doctor periodically. I encourage him to eat healthy, excercise and try to lose some weight. He has lost over 20 pounds and I know that he feels better about himself for losing what he has so far. I also encourage him to go enjoy activities, especially with his male friends. I think that most women are good at having female friends, but some guys don't have that many. I think that it is good to have a social network.

I started working a simple part-time job in 03/10. I work Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I really enjoy having Tuesday, Thursday, Sat and Sun off. I really don't mind going to work on the other 3 days. I like the people that I work with and the patients that I interact with, earn a few bucks and I am working toward the goal of getting the rest of my Social Security credits. I like having goals and it felt pretty weird for a time when I did not have any.

I hope that one of the suggestions that I or someone else has written, will help you. I would be interested in reading about any places near you or any places that you have traveled to in your lifetime. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
I like your idea of taking photos of my surrounding. Knowing how to post them successfully is another matter!
If your photo are on your computer, the easy way to post them is this:

1.) When typing a post, click on the icon above that looks like a paper clip. A new window will pop up that is called "Manage Attachments".

2.) Click on "Browse" in that new window, and find the photo on your computer

3.) Click on "Upload". Then finish writing your post as usual.

The photo will show up at the bottom of your post.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
IŽm embarrassed to admit that boredom, bordering in something like mild depression, is, slowily but relentlessly, encroaching on me.
Just an idea to pass the time away...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Just an idea to pass the time away...
I wouldnŽt be able to handle such hecitc and strenuous a pastime. Any way I wouldnŽt pass the audition.....
Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Plan a weekend (or longer) travel event with your wife every 2 months. Spend the time researching and planning the trip.

Be a guide and translater for your area. Check out the website couch surfing. You don't have to provide a bed, be the guide. Answer their questions on-line.

Become an expert in something you have always been curious about. Do the research. Join the forums.

Take any part time job and go with the flow.

I often travel alone and the spontaneous events and people I meet are the most pleasing memories I have. Returning home after a 2 week roadtrip is very satisfying when I can proclaim, I DID IT. Then I lay low for 2 months while I plan the next one.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

How about an online job? Writing articles, building a blog, selling photos for money at places like shutterstock, becoming a social media expert, web designer, start you own forum, etc. You could research a topic and make a web site about what interests you.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

My son had a mild bout of depression 4+- years ago. He struggled with it on and off for about 2 years. He did agree to see a therapist and today he will admit it was the best thing he did. He also started taking an SSDI (which he is still on). All that helped him get back on his feet (or at least he is close to being back on his feet) - but the thing that helped him get through the days during that time were the friends he had made on a particular forum where he played some games. It provided him with the mental stimulation and people interaction he desperately needed and wasnt getting anywhere else - because he wouldn't/couldn't bring himself to make the effort to go out much.

I think this is my long-winded way of saying that you have made friends and can always find someone to talk to here. It will help you during this time. But posting here will not change anything. To get past this - you may need medical help. But no one can force you to do that - you have to want to do it. My guess is your wife would want to know and would want you to do it too.