Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Lockheed Martin Retiree Medical Cost
Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Lockheed Martin Retiree Medical Cost

I was wondering if anyone on this forum can help me with a "sanity check" on the cost of LM retiree medical. I took a voluntary layoff early this year from LM and was not yet 55 so I have been paying for COBRA waiting for my birthday in 2014 so I can transfer to the retiree medical. COBRA for myself and my spouse is $1137 per month so I was sure that I would save money with the retiree medical. I received the notice this week that the equivalent coverage would cost me $1583 per month. Can anyone tell me if this seems like an appropriate cost for someone retiring with over 29 years of service? If so, I guess that I am going to be getting ACA! I am getting no help from the LM Service Center.

Thanks,
DG
digger1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger1959 View Post
I was wondering if anyone on this forum can help me with a "sanity check" on the cost of LM retiree medical. I took a voluntary layoff early this year from LM and was not yet 55 so I have been paying for COBRA waiting for my birthday in 2014 so I can transfer to the retiree medical. COBRA for myself and my spouse is $1137 per month so I was sure that I would save money with the retiree medical. I received the notice this week that the equivalent coverage would cost me $1583 per month. Can anyone tell me if this seems like an appropriate cost for someone retiring with over 29 years of service? If so, I guess that I am going to be getting ACA! I am getting no help from the LM Service Center.

Thanks,
DG
Wow! You all must be getting some terrific health benefits for that price!

I guess it depends on your state.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I work in a Lockheed Martin facility, but am not a LM employee. I work for the DoD. I've been here nearly 5 yrs, and am about to retire (nearly 37 yrs total). I've heard a lot of employees grumbling about LM's health insurance. I don't know specifics, other than it sounds pricey for what you get, to me.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired this year at 56 with 29 years from a fortune 500 company. Our retiree health insurance is subsidized by the company. My 2014 cost for a high deductible HSA qualified plan for family of four is costing me $1K a month. There are two other options available with costs between $1600 to $1800 a month. If you knock the kids off the policy it drops the price by about $300 - $500 a month.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks, Steve. My company subsidizes too. I am hoping that the price they quoted me is a mistake without the subsidy taken into account. I am supposed to get the answer today.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Digger1959, and welcome to the ER forum.

Someone I know quite well retired from Lockheed Martin, and is paying around $950/month for his LM retiree medical this year but it is going up and will be $1050-$1100 per month in 2014. This is just for a single person, no family, and LM's most expensive medical plan option.

LM provides great medical coverage but also very expensive. He, too, is looking into PPACA coverage but at age 60 he says it will be only a few hundred less per month and a much lesser policy. Also he is looking into the possibility of taking one of LM's less expensive medical plan options.

Medical coverage in retirement has been a huge problem for many.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks W2R. Do you happen to know how many years your friend was at LM? The amount of subsidy that you receive is based on years of service.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks W2R. Do you happen to know how many years your friend was at LM? The amount of subsidy that you receive is based on years of service.
Nope, I really have no idea. He is fully retired on a pension but in the new (lower pension) system due to a lengthy interruption in his years of work there. In his case, I don't think there is any subsidy - - can't imagine, at those rates, anyway! But I don't really know.

Sounds to me like they are giving you the correct rate, except not allowing you any subsidy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds to me like they are giving you the correct rate, except not allowing you any subsidy.
That is what I am thinking and why I posted the question. I hope that that is the case.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #10

I didn't think DH and I had a very good deal from our Megacorp, but I'm obviously mistaken. We have separate individual coverage (no spouse coverage available, but we both ER'd from the same company). For 2014 it will be about $700 / month ($300 for DH and $400 for me - my subsidy is less because I was younger when I ER'd). It went up about 6.6% over 2013.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Thanks,
DG

Agilent Retire. 2014 monthly premium, husband and wife. $1019
25+ yrs. (Kaiser plan, $773).

Hewlett Packard. husband and wife, Kaiser of Calif. plan, $ 1100+.

I know, Agilent rates were increasing because, Retires are no longer included with working Agilent employees.

Your rates are really high.....
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:

Thanks,
DG
Does LM put retirees into a seperate pool from active employees? If so it makes sense, that the premiums would be higher for retiree coverage than for corba which is based upon the active pool price.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Does LM put retirees into a seperate pool from active employees? If so it makes sense, that the premiums would be higher for retiree coverage than for corba which is based upon the active pool price.

I think nearly all group health plans are setup like that. Separate pools for active vs retiree. I can't speak to LM directly however.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks all for the comments. It sounds like we will be signing up for ACA or going back to work. All these years, we thought that we could count on health insurance that would be affordable in retirement because they would be subsidized by the company. My father retired from civil service in the late 80's and I just assumed that we would experience somewhat higher premiums but not 12 X.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #15

I checked with my daughter who is in HR at LM and she said that number was about right. It sounds high to me...maybe right for the unsubsidized cost. My FIL just left the LM retiree medical program because he could get cheaper, better Medicare supplement through my MIL's retiree program.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

UPS retiree insurance $50/mo single $100/mo for family (yes, family), incl. union and non-union $500,000 lifetime limit per person.
UPS retiree insurance under Teamsters (certain locals) $200/$400 couple only. $200,000 limit per year per person.

Both incl. dental and vision

Be aware that retiree insurance can still impose lifetime limits.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
UPS retiree insurance $50/mo single $100/mo for family (yes, family), incl. union and non-union $500,000 lifetime limit per person.
UPS retiree insurance under Teamsters (certain locals) $200/$400 couple only. $200,000 limit per year per person.

Both incl. dental and vision
Pretty cheap, but getting cancer is bad enough on its own without worrying about blowing through a six-figure annual and lifetime maximum....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Don't know anything about LM.

DH is on subsidized retiree coverage from the megacorp he worked for. He is in the group that has the largest subsidy. However, the company only picks up the first 5% of any increase. Last year the increase was about 161% (after subsidy) and this year it is about 60% .

Anyway for a couple - the subsidized cost under the high deductible plan is $954 a month to cover both. In network family deductible is $3000.

If we were insane enough to go for the POS plan the subsidized (yes subsidized) cost would be $2780 a month. While this has a little bit lower deductible there is no way that I can see where that would ever be a rational choice.

Just for grins, the unsubsidized cost of the first option (some employees get unsubsidized coverage) is $1518 a month. The unsubsidized cost of the second option would be $4074 a month.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Don't know anything about LM.

If we were insane enough to go for the POS plan the subsidized (yes subsidized) cost would be $2780 a month. While this has a little bit lower deductible there is no way that I can see where that would ever be a rational choice.

Just for grins, the unsubsidized cost of the first option (some employees get unsubsidized coverage) is $1518 a month. The unsubsidized cost of the second option would be $4074 a month.
Holy sh*t, Batman. Where could that $4074 number come from? Maybe it is just like the sticker price on a car at the dealership...just there to see what unthinking sucker might bite

Edit: sorry, you're not Batman, you're the cat woman.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Holy sh*t is right? Katsmeow, are you trying to make me feel better?
How can that insurance company (and the Megacorp that is agreeing to it) justify an almost $50,000 a year premium?