Join Early Retirement Today

Logistics of COBRA
Old 06-01-2016, 05:25 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Logistics of COBRA

I'm planning to FIRE this year and enroll in COBRA for the remainder of the year. We've earned too much in 2016 to qualify for subsidies. We live in Texas.

I have a question on the logistics. As part of my pre-FIRE jitters, I'm getting paranoid about the possibility of issues with payment not getting properly credited and losing insurance coverage.

For those who have done COBRA -- has your insurance company offered to let you pre-pay for the rest of the entire year like some auto insurance companies do? Has it been easy to get a receipt that proves that you've paid?

My husband may need rotator cuff surgery and if so, I really don't want any problems with proving we have insurance coverage over the period of his MRI, surgery and therapy.

The worry about issues with insurance transition to COBRA during same timeframe that my husband may need an expensive surgery has me a little freaked out about FIRE, so I welcome feedback from those who have gone on COBRA about their experience.

Thanks.
ctmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

currently utilizing COBRA for the DW and I.
So far it has been very easy and getting the receipt email as soon as payment is made.

Our plan is administered through ADP and Aetna is the health provider. I think they do allow prepayment for ever how many months you want to pay - but we pay it monthly.

Should not be a problem with your husbands pending surgery - the only advice I would have in regard to that is make triple sure all Dr.s' are in you plan and document everything they the doctors do.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did and and am still paying for cobra... it will end at the end of August. We pay directly to the outsource human resource company for the startup I worked for. They do not send receipts as dirt_dobber noted, so I emailed the questions after all payment to get a verification of receipt. It was also suggested that we either use a bill pay or tracked mailing (certified mail) as proof of when the payment was sent. We used bill pay. I sent the $ in early.
In January I paid for 7 months, so they should take advance payments within a given year. Prices and plans changes at the beginning of the year, so advance payments likely don't work in this case.
I believe you have 60 days to get all the forms in and the initial payment. If you are going to get it anyway, I would get it in early just to be prudent. If you're cobra will allow CC or ACH (mine did not), this makes it much easier.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you get COBRA if you quit/retire? I thought you could only get COBRA if you were terminated.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Can you get COBRA if you quit/retire? I thought you could only get COBRA if you were terminated.
Yes you can.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #6

COBRA is retroactive to the termination date. I did the free ride period, FIREd in end of Oct., free ride through Nov./Dec., ACA plan in January.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I did it in 13. Never checked into prepayment, not to worry. Everything was smooth sailing
till a systems glitch said I had no coverage after a short hospital stay. It took a day to get resolved. Point is that insurance companies lose an add members seemingly at will. Check your statements and always have receipts. Call several days before DH'S expenses and verify. Best wishes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure it will be fine, but....

We had a terrible time getting our payments recorded between the outside COBRA service firm (whose name was on the checks we wrote) and the insurance company. I had cataract surgery scheduled and the hospital called and told I had no insurance coverage. The insurance company said I hadn't paid. The COBRA servicer said they had verified with the insurance company that I had paid. The insurance company said the servicer had not. Back and forth. It gives me a stomach ache just to think about it. The insurance company actually had its own COBRA servicing department but DH's megacorp chose to use this outside servicer instead. Of course it got resolved in the end but I have to wonder why it's so difficult.

The COBRA servicer then added a comment to the monthly bill that it could take 60 days for a payment to be processed. Hey, why not six months, ora year? We paid the monthly bill the day we received it.

I would definitely prepay but in my case I am not sure I would have trusted to servicer--it probably would have still done a month-to-month verification. Happiest day of my insurance life was starting Medicare, not that I expect that to always be smooth-sailing.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #9

Had the same problem as well. Bank billpay takes a few days to get to 3rd party COBRA administrator, who then takes two entire weeks to process and another week and a half to be processed by my insurance company. One month's payment got lost in the mail, forcing me to make an emergency payment at the online 3rd party administrator's website (and having to pay the "service fee" as well.

My way around all this going forward was to pay two months in advance. This way every month I make a payment I am actually a month in advance. If a billpay check gets lost, or anything else goes wrong, I have an extra month to fix things. Haven't had a problem since.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

COBRA went really smooth for me and saved me a ton of dough. I stayed on for the max (18 months) and then got my own policy at a significant increase in cost. Getting my own policy was more frustrating than getting COBRA.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
COBRA is retroactive to the termination date. I did the free ride period, FIREd in end of Oct., free ride through Nov./Dec., ACA plan in January.
If the law says you have to have insurance for 12 months, did the two months you did not pay for insurance, and did not actually have any, matter?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
If the law says you have to have insurance for 12 months, did the two months you did not pay for insurance, and did not actually have any, matter?
No penalty for two months of no insurance. Three months would begin the penalty.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I got cobra when I resigned from my last jerb. I was technically unemployed for about a month but I had another jerb lined up and needed the time off to move.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
COBRA went really smooth for me and saved me a ton of dough. I stayed on for the max (18 months) and then got my own policy at a significant increase in cost. Getting my own policy was more frustrating than getting COBRA.
I thought exchange coverage was WAY cheaper than cobra. Huh.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
A lot of folks don't know that you can actually wait to get sick/etc before you have to pay anything under cobra.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

When I retired (quit) I told my employer that I want to continue by health coverage via COBRA. They send a form and you sign and return. Then you get billed by the insurance co and just send in the dough.

It was easy and automatic and cost 3/5ths what I pay now. I'm not eligible for subsidy.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of the replies
Old 06-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for all of the replies

Thanks for the responses. It gives me a better idea what to expect. It makes me feel better that even the stories that had issues seem to have worked out eventually.
ctmm is offline   Reply With Quote