Join Early Retirement Today

Loloz cavity fighting lollipop?
Old 10-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Loloz cavity fighting lollipop?

I received a 25% off coupon with my Dental EOB today for this product. Cavibloc is listed as the active ingredient, an extract from a specific licorice root. Their website has some interesting information, wondering if the wise folks on the forum have ever used it??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Never heard of it. Sounds like fish oil to me but I'm willing to try anything. Might be delicious, might even work.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #3

We had the grandkids over the Columbus Day holiday, and DW bought a bag, letting them have lollipops after breakfast and at night. So far, no cavities. The kids were thrilled but DD doesn't share their delight.

I'm skeptical and think we should reduce the amount of sweets we consume, not look for substitutes, especially for children.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

no; we had plenty of fluoride in the water
Old 10-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Cavities or diabetes.... I think I can avoid cavities without all that extra sugar.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Everything in moderation. Many substances that replace or interfere with sugar's chemistry also impact gut microbiology, and that could be more harmful than, say, cavities.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My dentist has been pushing xylitol as a "replacement" for flouride based on marketing fluff she picked up at a trade show. I had a lengthy discussion with her about it saying that while xylitol can help reduce cavities from sugar in children, it does nothing to strengthen enamel like flouride. Unfortunately she goes through these phases of pushing some fad for more income. I like her as a dentist but don't take her product recommendations. This does mean I had to find a new source for the "prescription-strength" flouride paste my wife uses.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

I'm skeptical and think we should reduce the amount of sweets we consume, not look for substitutes, especially for children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
no; we had plenty of fluoride in the water
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Everything in moderation. Many substances that replace or interfere with sugar's chemistry also impact gut microbiology, and that could be more harmful than, say, cavities.
I'm skeptical too, and am not thrilled with replacing sugar with sugar substitutes.

However, this seems to fight cavities in a different way from fluoride, so maybe the two together are a good thing? I see that you are supposed to have 2/day for 10 days - then repeat that every 3 to 6 months.

-ERD50
Old 10-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

An unexpected benefit of our seven years of low carb is good teeth. No cavities (but maybe older people have fewer cavities??). The dentist said "I don't know what you're doing but keep it up." I told him what we were doing. I didn't tell him that sometimes I only brush once per day.

Xylitol is often touted as being good for teeth, but I suspect the benefit is simply the reduction in sugar.

I find Erythritol to be even better than Xylitol, and have a lot of confidence in it. Its only drawbacks are that it's expensive and difficult to spell. It apparently doesn't get absorbed at all. Never any gas or bloating.

Not all "sugar alcohols" (technically "polyols") are good.