Join Early Retirement Today

Long Term Care Insurance?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Long Term Care Insurance?

I am 57 and thinking about signing up for it. Does anyone have any recomendations regarding which insurance company offers the best package, etc? Any advice welcome. Thank you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I were to get LTC insurance, I would look at Northwestern Mutual.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Ours is with John Hancock, but I'd look at all the major companies.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine is with Mutual of Omaha. But I agree you should check them all out. Be aware that many Insurance companies will be dropping LTC in the future so be careful.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe MetLife also sells LTC insurance so be sure to check them out also.

Read the terms carefully - some are inflation adjusted and some are not. You may be able to get a lower cost by insuring for more per day than you need and using the 'excess' to fund inflation over the next few years.

Be careful of the steady step increases in premiums. That is what made me decide to self insure.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just bought some for my husband and after checking lots out we found:
That we got a better deal for an individual policy than through his work.
That Genworth has the longest history of providing it and let's you pay individual caregivers, without them having be hired through an agency, and doesn't show signs of trying to get out of the business, like many are.

None would take me due to medical reasons, so we will use savings for me. Check and see if your state participates in the "partnership" program. It takes too long to explain here, but is worth reading up on.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

MetLife stopped selling LTC a few months ago. JH is no longer even remotely competitive on pricing these days. NWM is going to cost 50% more for the exact same coverage that Genworth/United of Omaha/Transamerica would provide. If you are applying with a spouse, GW's rates will probably be a good bit less expensive than the others and IMO has the best combination of benefits.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
MetLife stopped selling LTC a few months ago. JH is no longer even remotely competitive on pricing these days. NWM is going to cost 50% more for the exact same coverage that Genworth/United of Omaha/Transamerica would provide. If you are applying with a spouse, GW's rates will probably be a good bit less expensive than the others and IMO has the best combination of benefits.
DW and I purchased JH LTC policies through my employment at Megacorp because no health questions were asked. This was several years ago.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
DW and I purchased JH LTC policies through my employment at Megacorp because no health questions were asked. This was several years ago.
Several years ago JH had the best rates on the market along with GW, but that is no longer the case. Seems to me they have no interest in selling LTC anymore with the rates they are charging.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Years ago we purchased a paid up in 10 years policy from Allianz. I do not know if they are still offering such policies.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Genrwoth and Transamerica are where I would go. NML will rate the heck out of you, they always do..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Like over 50% of those who responded to a recent LTC survey here (?), I choose to self insure for this risk. Current and future premium payments are too expensive.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote