Join Early Retirement Today
Re: long-term exercising
Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My goals for long-term exercising: not get fat.

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by TargaDave
Have a unicyle and an Indo board just to practice coordination 8)
Congratulations! I couldn't imagine a unicycle; but I do have an Indo board and find it to be a real challenge.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been exercising since junior/high school - started out swimming competitively, loved downhill skiing - running track - playing badminton - was the 'student athlete' - my girlfriend just said I was a 'jock.'

College was just keeping in shape to meet the AF Fitness test - same with early 20's - let myself go in late 20's early 30's - then started lifting weights and aerobics (elliptical, bike and running). Also 6-10 mile walks in Europe, skiing a lot - have noticed as I get older, the aches and pains occur more often and that I need to balance my exertion rate and the way I move - the twisting in badminton is OK when playing but afterwards, my back hurts. My knees hurt a bit more after downhill skiing and running - didn't used to. Keeping the weight off is more difficult - when you are a jock, you don't pay too much attention to what you eat in terms of portion control as you are exercising a lot anyhow - as one gets older, the metabolism still decreases and I find I need to pay attention to portion control more. I read that from age 40 onward, every decade one should try and decrease their daily caloric intake by 500 calories to compensate for the metabolism decrease. Of course, exercise helps to regain some of that ability to eat more, however, 'chowing like a horse' with no concomitant affect on your weight doesn't work so much anymore. Bummer.......oh, that and genes - some people are just naturally thin - endomorphs.
Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Originally Posted by donheff
Now I have a pair of custom foot orthotics and I am close to "normal."
I saw a foot doc when I messed up my ankle and he custom made me some of those. They just slip into my sneakers and after a week I no longer notice them. Wow! I sure notice when I don't have them in by getting sore tired feet and legs. These things make a HUGE difference.
BTW, you're supposed to get new ones every 10 years (feet spread as we age- oh joy) or earlier if you gain/lose weight.

On the exercise question, I've been lifting weights 3-4 times a week since my early 20's and daily yoga just about as long. No injuries other than my ankle, which was not exercise related.

Ibid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been walking on a treadmill for 25-30 minutes 5 days a week for 13 years. I turned 60 last week and have no problems. Still over weight though!

Glo is offline   Reply With Quote