Long-Term Travel, ACA and Scuba Diving

msbearkeley

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi - are there folks on the board who are U.S. Residents (require ACA compliance) but also travel long term (45 days to 6 months) internationally? What insurance options do you have (or are you considering?)

We have the Annual DAN travel (with medical) plan along with US employer based plan, but upon retirement, we will be spending about 6 months internationally and having a hard time finding the right options....most have a 31 or 45 day max per trip, or are designed for travel rather than medical. We scuba dive so we plan to get DAN accident to cover Evacuations but still prefer some sort of catastrophic medical. Hubby gets kidney stones so a per trip travel (like nomads that allow up to 6 months) will exclude pre-existing....seem silly to pay ACA plus international as well, so any advice will be a huge help!

I found a few threads on international living, ACA and international medical, but couldn't find any info for trips that last for more than 45 days but less than ACA exemptions (only about 6 months outside the U.S.)...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Need an ACA policy and an international policy. Search "global nomads" on this forum and you will find more info. In brief:

There are many options for this insurance. One such example : http://www.imglobal.com

Basically you need to get a non ACA compliant policy that covers you for the duration of trip / travel in the countries that you will be in.

Usually these policies exclude the costly USA coverage (but you have that in your ACA policy) but sometimes cover you in USA too depending on duration of travel and time outside USA.

I

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom