Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Look How Quickly the US Got Fat? (1985-2010)
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Look How Quickly the US Got Fat? (1985-2010)

Look How Quickly the U.S. Got Fat (1985-2010 Animated Map) - James Hamblin - The Atlantic

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It looks like Colorado is 'bucking the trend'. What is different there?
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Sad.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
It looks like Colorado is 'bucking the trend'. What is different there?
An interesting study a couple of months ago noticed that:
Quote:
Americans who live where the air is thinnest are less likely to be obese than those in low-lying areas.
Quote:
About 36 percent of American adults are obese, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Rates vary across the country, however, with a higher percentage of obese adults in southern states. Western states, such as Nevada and Colorado, report the fewest obese adults.
Meaningless coincidence?
Very possibly. I seem to remember another study a few years ago that found high levels of obesity among people living in the Peruvian Andes, way higher than most places in this country.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I vaguely remember reading that it takes more calories to breathe if you live in a high altitude. No claim that my memory is working well, though!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Most likely the biggest reason for the relative leanness of states like Colorado and Nevada is the youth of their populations. People immigrate into these states from other states and abroad. Immigrants are young, relative to the other residents. (Not including Florida, which is a retirement state that attracts older people.)

Ha
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

From the Economist: "The World Health Organisation (WHO) blames excess fat for 44% of cases of diabetes, 23% of ischaemic heart disease and over 40% for some types of cancer. This is already testing rich countries’ capacity to provide and pay for care." The same issue also cites that 20% of health care costs in the US are directly due to being overweight.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #8

I enjoyed eating potato chips while I watched the youtube. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Here's a British take on why we are getting fatter:

Warning! It's three one hour videos.

And, of course, we have our own local hero whom you can find on Youtube:

Dr. Lustig: Sugar Pandemic Part 1

The above one is big on science.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think the best defense against this kind of manipulation is to realize that you are being manipulated ruthlessly by persons and institutions that hate you. Thus you are completely justified in hating them back. I not only am not tempted by their disgusting offerings, I detest even the sight of them.

There is a psychological mechanism called reaction formation that usually operates unconsciously whereby the person finds himself strongly opposed to things that perhaps attract him on some level, but are frightening.
A similar thing can be used consciously to turn the food manipulators nasty tricks into obvious and also amateurish ploys. If strawberry shortcake is your weakness, imagine the surface wriggling with maggots. It won't be long until strawberry shortcake almost makes you vomit.

On a society wide level, the trouble is that all the most clever actors in these plays gain from our obesity and poor health. Seeing those poor women jumping around in exercise classes just brings to mind what gigantic and profitable industries have been created downstream of food manipulation and weight gain. Bariatric surgeons, Jenny Craig, gyms on every corner, every young woman who isn't a barista a personal trainer, on and on.

If we wait for the government to solve this, the average weight in advanced countries may soon be 300 pounds.

Ha
Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If strawberry shortcake is your weakness, imagine the surface wriggling with maggots. It won't be long until strawberry shortcake almost makes you vomit.

Ha
Ha, how I only wish that this approach worked for me! Tried it for years.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Ha, how I only wish that this approach worked for me! Tried it for years.
Oh, I am sorry. Struggling with weight is a very hard road.

I have never before written or spoken about this technique, so I don't have any previous feedback from others who have tried it. It works well for me, though by now I really don't have any food cravings. It also worked well for my former wife.

Ha
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #13

US obesity rate also tends to correlate with sedentary lifestyle. Very hard to loose weight without at least some exercise. But sugar (inc fructose) is an issue too. Exercise don't help if you are downing sugar-packed soft drinks to re-hydrate. That's why many personal trainers preach "don't drink your calories".

BTW- Obesity has increased in Colorado along with rest of US. According to CDC (ppt from link below), no state had a prevalence of obesity ABOVE 15% in 1990. In 2010 no state had a prevalence of obesity BELOW 20%.

Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: Adult Obesity - DNPAO - CDC
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think the best defense against this kind of manipulation is to realize that you are being manipulated ruthlessly by persons and institutions that hate you. Thus you are completely justified in hating them back. I not only am not tempted by their disgusting offerings, I detest even the sight of them.

There is a psychological mechanism called reaction formation that usually operates unconsciously whereby the person finds himself strongly opposed to things that perhaps attract him on some level, but are frightening.
A similar thing can be used consciously to turn the food manipulators nasty tricks into obvious and also amateurish ploys. If strawberry shortcake is your weakness, imagine the surface wriggling with maggots. It won't be long until strawberry shortcake almost makes you vomit.

On a society wide level, the trouble is that all the most clever actors in these plays gain from our obesity and poor health. Seeing those poor women jumping around in exercise classes just brings to mind what gigantic and profitable industries have been created downstream of food manipulation and weight gain. Bariatric surgeons, Jenny Craig, gyms on every corner, every young woman who isn't a barista a personal trainer, on and on.

If we wait for the government to solve this, the average weight in advanced countries may soon be 300 pounds.

Ha
The leave-it-to-the-individual approach has already been tried and has failed spectacularly. The trouble is that an advertiser can easily and consistently manipulate a viewer into behaving against his self-interest, even to the point of smoking cigarettes, for instance. The individual, on the average, has no chance against the onslaught of saturation advertising. The fact that some people manage to avoid obesity does not change the fact that obesity can and has been sold effectively to the public as a whole.

The only possible solution is for the govt to deal with it. After all, the anti-smoking campaign by the govt beginning with the Surgeon General's report in 1964 has met with success in that smoking rates have been declining ever since. Had advertising for cigarette smoking not been restricted and public education campaigns not been launched, the rate of smoking would have increased as it has in places like Korea and China. As far as I am aware there is no example of a reduction in smoking in any country that was not the result of a govt program against it. The fact is there is no other agent with the capacity and the stake in the public good to run such a campaign except the govt.

In my opinion the best approach would be for the govt to restrict levels of sugar and fat in processed foods, restrict or eliminate food and restaurant advertising, impose a national tax on the caloric content of restaurant meals , increase physical education in the school system and launch public awareness campaigns to stigmatize overeating in the way that smoking has been. The alternative is that by mid-century as many as a third of Americans could suffer from preventable diabetes, a treatment load that would be likely to swamp the health-care system.

Of course, such a comprehensive approach to the leading public health issue of the day might offend those who believe in a individual's Right to Diabetes.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's a British take on why we are getting fatter:

Warning! It's three one hour videos.

And, of course, we have our own local hero whom you can find on Youtube:

Dr. Lustig: Sugar Pandemic Part 1

The above one is big on science.
Oh no! All the weight I have lost and my kidneys can still be swimming in pools of fat ... Good grief. >-----(00)--->
Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #16

I have news : losing weight is not as difficult as it sounds. It requires discipline, motivation, and effort. Any takers ? :-)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I have news : losing weight is not as difficult as it sounds. It requires discipline, motivation, and effort. Any takers ? :-)
Precisely why it isn't happening (on a macro level)...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post

Sounds a lot like saving for retirement.
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Sounds a lot like saving for retirement.
I've done a fair bit of both. The doing of it sucks. The end result is great.

Embrace delayed gratification. Not the gravy boat and credit card !!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's the low fat preachers that made us fat.

The west is getting increasingly fat and suffering all sorts of metabolic disorders including diabetes. This, in spite of the mantra that has been drilled into us regarding fat in our diets. As a society we have been heeding that advice. Our consumption of fat is down considerably since the seventies and yet our obesity rates are way up and type 2 diabetes is almost epidemic.

Why? Carbohydrates. When people shunned fat in their diet they replaced it with carbs and we were told that was the right thing to do. Now the studies that told us that dietary fat was bad and carbs are good turns out to have been wrong on both counts.

Look up Gary Taubs and take it from there. You will be surprised by just how far wrong we have gone.
Aruba50 is offline   Reply With Quote