Looking for a recommendation for hiking shoes

LaSportiva Wildcat or the GTX waterproof version. Very Comfortable, the waterproof version is very hot to wear this time of the year. $110, GTX $155

Something I learned recently:

Last year I found out that although my previous shoes (Meindl) were really good quality, my feet were too narrow/slim so I blistered more than I should.

A knowledgable sales guy (they exist, much to my surprise) pointed out to me that this is not normal (I didn't know, I just thought I blistered easily), and steered my to another brand using slightly different standard dimenions. Much "snugger" (is that a word?).

No more blisters, much nicer. Cheaper too (not by much).

Just to say: don't get hung up on a "best brand", several brands are good but you need to find the right fit (beyond obviously shoe size). Outdoor specialty stores tend to have good brands but you pay for it too of course.

Also within a brand several categories of stiffness and support as you probably know. Lighter walks = more flexible shoes and less weight. Reduces tiredness.

Merrell

Merrell has been good to me. As other shoes wear out, I'm transitioning over to Merrell in nearly all cases..they work for me. They tend(?) to keep models for some time too. I purchased my first pair of Encore clogs (casual shoes) about 10-12 years ago..they still have them..super comfortable...fit like a glove.

As for where to buy..I've been using Zappos for years. Free shipping both directions. Order 2-3..or more pairs of the same shoe-boot in various sizes, keep the one that fits, send the rest back free. Certainly a step up (so to speak) from wandering around to different stores looking for the combo of right fit & in stock, color..etc. I've blown too many days like this over the years..waste of time.

In addition to the 2 pair of Merrells that I have, I have one pair of hiking shoes made by North Face. Mine are falling apart after a year of mild hiking on Illinois trails and doing yard work. It's weird- soles are fine, but they're falling apart on top.

I used a pair of Merrells and a pair of Keens for the last few years, but I just got a pair of waterproof Oboz for an upcoming trip with light hiking. I've worn them around the neighborhood to make sure they're comfortable for my trip, and so far I really like them.

I don't know about modern hiking shoes, but I can put in a plug for the Vasque brand. I've had the same pair of leather hiking boots for the last 29 years. They have been resoled twice and relined once by a cordwainer. They have served me well hiking and climbing on three continents.

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. ;) After trying on several different brands, I went with Merrell:

Merrell.jpg

Merrell Men's Moab Ventilator

Last edited:
Sorry, the text didn't carry over.

It's the Merrell Men's Moab Ventilator (hiking shoe)

AJA, Did you buy at a brick & mortar? I'm looking for some new hiking shoes. Tried all the local places and didn't see anything so I'm headed to REI.

AJA, Did you buy at a brick & mortar? I'm looking for some new hiking shoes. Tried all the local places and didn't see anything so I'm headed to REI.

No, I did not go to REI in Houston because of the flooded streets. I went to Academy near by, but they didn't have the Merrell shoe in my size. I tried on some others and decided to buy from Amazon as they have a return policy on these.

Back
Top Bottom