Looking for Feedback - Symfony Lens for Cataract IOL

bobandsherry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looking for input from those who have had Symfony lens for cataract IOL.

My Dr. gave me the news that I had expected to hear, time for cataract removal at 55. He gave option from monofocal lens which would be great for distant vision but then need readers. But he then suggested a newer lens, Symfony, which would then give me distant and near vision, including using the computer, without readers.

I've been using readers since having Lasik many years ago, so not a change for me and my habits. But not having readers is appealing.

His said the downside with Symfony is some patients experience seeing halo's at night so nigh driving would be affected. I've had similar experience with night vision since I had Lasik, so if that should occur it seems I've already adapted to that type of experience.

There's obviously a cost difference, about $2K per eye. So for those who have had Symfony lens would you do it again?

Just so you're aware of it, there is another option. You can have one eye fitted with a monofocal lens for distance, the other for near vision. The brain can quickly figure out the situation and you essentially have completely normal vision at all distances (except for really extreme closeup).

Caveat: Some people don't adjust to this very well, others do. It may be worthwhile discussing it with your ophthalmologist.

DW went with this option earlier this year and she is extremely happy with the result.

I had both eyes done, but went with regular lenses. I cannot speak for symfony.

Remember that if you had lasik (as I did), the corneal surface is affected long term, and it's much more difficult for them to get the refractive results spot on. It's a sort of wild card when measuring your optics. He has probably told you this already.

Last edited:
Just so you're aware of it, there is another option. You can have one eye fitted with a monofocal lens for distance, the other for near vision. The brain can quickly figure out the situation and you essentially have completely normal vision at all distances (except for really extreme closeup).

Caveat: Some people don't adjust to this very well, others do. It may be worthwhile discussing it with your ophthalmologist.

DW went with this option earlier this year and she is extremely happy with the result.

I had this option with Lasik and didn't get it then. I tried to simulate this by removing a lens from my readers and it didn't seem to feel right. But perhaps overtime the eyes/brain would work better to balance. But interested in hearing experience of others.

I had both eyes done, but went with regular lenses. I cannot speak for symfony.

Remember that if you had lasik (as I did), the corneal surface is affected long term, and it's much more difficult for them to get the refractive results spot on. It's a sort of wild card when measuring your optics. He has probably told you this already.

My Dr asked if I could get my Lasik info, so going to send a request for records to place that did my Lasik. He said if I couldn't get that info they have improved their measurement process such that they still do a pretty good job on getting it right. Hopefully LasikPlus still has my records available.

I had the mono vision option when I had Cataract surgery and I only use readers if I am reading a long time . I do not need them for anything else .I am very happy with the mono vision .I had worn mono vision contacts so I knew I could adjust .

I went with the plain vanilla mono lenses. My doctor did not recommend multifocal. He told me that about 30% of his patients who get multifocal had problems and often want them replaced with a different lens. That was 5 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then.

I hated using readers. I needed 3 different strengths for different activities and that was just not workable for me. I now wear glasses about 80% of the time. They have fairly expensive Hoya progressive lenses. I adapted quite well and am very happy with the way things have worked out. I wore glasses my whole life so this is no big change. Good vision is extremely important to me and cataract surgery was like getting a brand new set of eyes.

I went with the plain vanilla mono lenses. My doctor did not recommend multifocal. He told me that about 30% of his patients who get multifocal had problems and often want them replaced with a different lens. That was 5 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then.

I hated using readers. I needed 3 different strengths for different activities and that was just not workable for me. I now wear glasses about 80% of the time. They have fairly expensive Hoya progressive lenses. I adapted quite well and am very happy with the way things have worked out. I wore glasses my whole life so this is no big change. Good vision is extremely important to me and cataract surgery was like getting a brand new set of eyes.
As I understand it, Symfony is significantly different than a traditional multifocal lens. I found this video that helped me to understand how it's different and benefits over traditional multifocal lens. Which is why I'm looking for feedback from those who have Symfony lens to either confirm or refute any of the benefits.

My Dr told me that readers may still be necessary for close-up reading, but would be glasses free for far distance to working on computers.

I had the mono vision option when I had Cataract surgery and I only use readers if I am reading a long time . I do not need them for anything else .I am very happy with the mono vision .I had worn mono vision contacts so I knew I could adjust .
Did you have a choice of Symfony lens at the time of your surgery? What about traditional multifocal lens? If so, did you choose the monofocal due to price or was there some other reason that you went with monofocal?

Did you have a choice of Symfony lens at the time of your surgery? What about traditional multifocal lens? If so, did you choose the monofocal due to price or was there some other reason that you went with monofocal?

I had the choice of the multi focal lens but I had tried wearing multi focal contacts and it was a disaster so I opted for the mono vision . This was twelve years ago so Symfony was not out yet.

As I understand it, Symfony is significantly different than a traditional multifocal lens. I found this video that helped me to understand how it's different and benefits over traditional multifocal lens...

Perhaps, but the downside sounds the same as why my doctor opposed it 5 years ago...

...the downside with Symfony is some patients experience seeing halo's at night so nigh driving would be affected...

Also, when I Googled "Symfony IOL", the first non-Ad result was this: Symfony Intraocular Lens Haloes Similar to Multifocals.

The next one was this: Dont believe the hype - the Symfony lens may have the same rates of haloes and glare as other multifocal lenses.

I wouldn't do it. But that's me. I'm sure it works great for some people and hopefully you'll hear from some here.

The multi focal doesn't focus very well for me. Plus there are minor issues with halos. If I had it to do over, I'd just get a distance mono in one eye, and up close with the other.

perhaps overtime the eyes/brain would work better to balance.

DW said that by the third day she was perfectly comfortable with it.

One other point I just thought of.
DW's myopia was minimal compared to mine. That may possibly explain why she had no trouble with the close/distance lenses. I have no idea whether that's a factor, but it might be. Again, talk with your doc.

I had the choice of the multi focal lens but I had tried wearing multi focal contacts and it was a disaster so I opted for the mono vision . This was twelve years ago so Symfony was not out yet.
I never tried multi focal but had been advised it wasn't a good option for me. Went with mono vision and pretty happy. I get by without readers as long as it's not lots of small details. Menus are just fine.

The only thing I lost was the extreme up close vision I had. While distance was something estimated at ~20/800, from 12" in I had all my focus and incredible vision. Oh well if I traded something off it's ok. My phone has a magnifying app.

Whatever you choose good luck and best wishes for great vision.

What lenses are right for each person varies due to non-cataract eye issues like astigmatism. So getting various viewpoints is fine, but don't necessarily expect what worked well/not for someone else is right/wrong for you.

As an update, I finally made decision. After researching this and talking with my doctor, I went with the Tecnis Symphony multifocal lens.

My concern was since I had LASIK 13 years ago, would halos, startbursts or any other artifacts be more of an issue. Doc told me that he's done plenty of procedures with the Tecnis lens and by and large his patients have been happy with the lens choice. He also said that his patients who had LASIK had no more issues with startbursts, halo's, etc than patients who haven't had LASIK. He also said that if he was making decision for his own eyes he'd have the Tecnis lens.

I had surgery last Thursday. I also opted for the bladeless (laser) procedure. Under 10 minutes I was done. No pain during the day, sat and watched TV. Friday morning vision was really pretty good, and since multifocal even close vision was really good. So much so that I can now use my PC without having to wear my readers. Saw my Doc and he said that things look really good after 1st day. Vision will improve, both near and far, over the next few days. Today (Saturday) the vision is even sharper.

I walked around the neighborhood last night, wanting to see if any issues with the brightlights (street lights, car headlights, etc). I do see some startburst effects, but it's very minor. No halo's, rings or other artifacts. As I still have my left eye yet to have surgery I can compare my original vision with the cataract with my new peepers, night and day difference. My wife has contacts and as comparison, she see's a very similar (based on description) type of startburst in the bright light, so the lens after 1 day was on par with what contact lens gives. Doc says that I can expect improvement over time.

I have to say, I'm glad I went with this lens. From all the reading I did it's different than other multifocal lens. I know that many are OK with just mono vision lens. However after having LASIK I basically lived with that type of vision for the past 13 years. If I was 70 I may have went for just the mono focal lens. But at 56 I still have lots of years (hopefully, knock on wood) of use in these eyes so if I can do away with readers I'm all for it.

Looking forward to getting my other eye done in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the update. I assume your insurance only covered the cost of a standard lens replacement. Care to share what the additional (OOP) cost was for the Symfony lens?

Thanks for the update. I assume your insurance only covered the cost of a standard lens replacement. Care to share what the additional (OOP) cost was for the Symfony lens?
I have high deductible plan, and with about $100 spent this year for health care the cost of standard lens would have still be OOP for me. With $0 monthly premium I come out ahead vs. a lower deductible/higher premium plan.

I don't know what the cost of standard lens is but cost of the Symphony Tenics lens was $895 each. There is additional testing required. The bladeless/laser cost more. It was about $2,500 more per eye vs the traditional lens and basic manual surgery. Those who are older and/or with a tighter budget may cringe at that, but it was worth it for me.

Now my 3rd day since surgery and all still going good, no issues. Can't wait until I get my other eye done in 10 days.

One more update....

It's been 3 weeks since I had my first (right) eye done, 1 week since second (left) eye was done. All is going well, happy with the results. No pain, no discomfort.

Had my follow-up today, both eye's are 25/20 individually for distance, 20/20 together. Near vision is 25/20 as well.

My eyes were a real mess as there's still another layer of "plaque" on the back of the eye, there prior to surgery. Surgeon says he sees this quite often and easy to treat. This will require YAG laser treatment and doc says this will further improve near and distant vision.

I'm enjoying the ability to use PC and phone now without grabbing the readers. No longer carrying readers with me everywhere I go.

Back
Top Bottom