Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
I heard the message loud and clear today.
That's super!
Just be sure to not wait too long to take action, lest you forget that message.
Quote:
I'd just like to know what's happening.
The nice thing is, most of those doctor folks will actually try to figure things out, and let you know what's going on, as well as let you know what the appropriate treatment (if any) is needed. I'm sure glad those folks went through all those extra years of skool to get that kind of edjumakation, so the rest of us didn't have to!

Best wishes for a quick & successful search for a suitable Doc to fit your needs!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My husband had incredible longevity in his family . His Dad died at 96 with a 69 year old girlfriend . All his relatives were well over eighty . So imagine the surprize when he died at 60 . Longevity is not a promise !
Ouch. I'm sorry.

Actually, with longevity as the standard my siblings and I only talk about breaking the pattern some day, but we still go merrily along.

We suffered enough accidents: concussions, brain injury, hemorrhages, plastic surgery, burns. Bike accidents, car accident, stupid stuff. We're all still here.

I just have to stay curious. It's the only thing that will make me see a doctor. I'm not a worrier -- so used to ignoring things.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #23

I didn't read the whole thread - there seems to be a theme.

You say your relatoids all live a long time w/o Dr. help. Mebbe they'da lived even longer after spending some time w/a physician...

Mike D.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All of my immediate family is still alive and well, except for the grandparents who died very late in life.

Yes, very, very late......at the end, in fact!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

By the way, I"m an MD, and I sympathize. I have white coat syndrome myself. I don't trust doctors
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Kat, I don't well you enough to tease you yet, but I just still must ask about your granny: Before she got the shingles in her 70s, did she have one of those cool tile roofs like in Coral Gables?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #27

Hi Kat,

I have to join in with others. I have a lot of longevity in my family. My Dad passed away at age 96, my Mom's aunts and uncles lived into their 90's and several made it past 100. My Mom is doing really, really well at age 82.

I assumed I would follow their path. Several years ago I had a MRI scheduled because of a hearing loss. I almost cancelled the appt. thinking I've never had anything wrong with me and this would be a waste of time. I decided it wasn't fair to the clinic to cancel the appt. on short notice so I went.

The MRI showed an asymtomic brain aneurysm ticking away behind my left eye. That's when the light blub went off that my parents longetivity did not guarentee my own.

Really, you need to do your annual check ups and go in between when small things pop up.

Best of luck to you.

-helen

PS - I still refuse to go on statins even though my total cholesterol was 311 six months ago.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:40 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

On other hand, I suggest reading Dr. Nortin M. Hadler's books:

Worried Sick: A Prescription for Health in an Overtreated America

The Last Well Person: How to Stay Well Despite the Health-Care System

And in the same vein:

Should I Be Tested for Cancer?: Maybe Not and Here's Why by Dr. H. Gilbert Welch

Bottom line doctors and the medical system are extremely hazardous to one's health and should be used very sparingly.

P.S. In order to help the odds of being healthy, this website contains useful health podcasts by Dr. Monte Ladner:

fitnessrocks.org

David
Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
If you can't stand being fussed over, find a doc who doesn't do that. I've got one who gives it to me straight, doesn't patronize me, and respects my choices about my body. We're a team.
I agree with this 100%. I would also like to say that as part of the team, the largest part of responsibility falls on you. Not just to go see the doc, but to hear what s/he has to say, and follow up with your own research. Doctors will often put people on meds that aren't optimal for them, or misdiagnose obscure conditions. I'm not knocking them, they are just people too.

So after you talk to them, do your own research. There's an unbelievable amount of information on the web, and only 80% or so of it is wrong. Seriously, though, I believe the medical experience is give and take, and you should have the final decision. But the more you find you can trust your doc, the better off you are.

Harley
Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #30

Thanks again for all the perspectives. It's been so useful to me. No one talks about health/medical in my circle of people. Today I began to think about choosing a doctor and had a brief imaginary conversation (two sentences). It will happen. Not sure when, but I'm curious and it's on the table.

Thanks.

Kate
Old 07-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #31

I decided to wait on seeing a doctor. Here's why. I did a 25 mile trek/climb with friends yesterday in the Adirondack High Peaks and was fine. (And I really hate the humidity.)

I also did not have a repeat of the elbow problems moving heavy stuff a couple days ago, and the last time my foot was an issue I saw it coming on and stopped it by not moving, then tested it in a few minutes with no problem. I think it's waning.

What I'm going to do instead is get back into regular hiking, weekly, with precautions for ticks, and see a doctor the next time I have a problem. I don't have to spend any time on internet research of medical issues. I'm going to trust my own body, which I know pretty well. I'm okay if it's a transitory problem of some sort, including being okay with being wrong and "wishing" I had done something. That's the kind of life I live.

In our long hike yesterday, friends and I touched on some good subjects. One guy was talking about his interesting discovery of his family's genealogy. He mentioned his family being wiped out in 1918. I said the same thing happened in my family, with my grandfather being one of three surviving siblings, with eight siblings who died. My grandfather lived to 102.

I'm just going to see what happens next. These seem to be joint or muscular or nerve problems, and I'll find out if there's an issue by long treks in the mountains. Then I'll see a doc with what I found, if I have to.

Thanks again for all the perspectives you shared with me. I could make sense of it with how I live, and I appreciate that!

Kate

P.S. I discovered some things hiking in the mountains the past ten years. I am allergic to poison sumac in a bad way. There are toxins in black flies -- experienced that about six years ago with about 400 bites. There are ticks, and lyme is not the only issue with ticks. But there are benefits to hiking too, and I come out way ahead.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Kate, many of the 'regulars' on the forum have final arrangements set up with our families to let the forum know if we die off suddenly. Given the circumstances, it would be appreciated if you would do the same.

All the best,
REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Kate, many of the 'regulars' on the forum have final arrangements set up with our families to let the forum know if we die off suddenly. Given the circumstances, it would be appreciated if you would do the same.

All the best,
REW

I had a good laugh!!

Kate
Old 07-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #34

P.S. REW, I appreciate that we come from different experiences and it's easy for all of us to fill in blanks because it's hard to know all the information.

One thing I did not mention -- did not seem relevant -- is I am keenly sensitive to medicine. I said the women in my family don't like to be fussed over, but a corollary is we have trouble with medicine/pills/over the counter anything.

The very few times in my life I had to take anything, the doc had to cut it waaaaaaaay down or skip it. Once, just once, I had to take Maalox for some reason, and it was the worst experience in my life, rolling all over the floor in terrible pain. I can still hear the doc saying he just assumed I'd cut it back from the dose on the bottle...

So trust me on this REW: the first time in the doc's office, he or she would hear all this and tell me to watch what happens and come back if there's a problem.

FYI, my young nephew is the same way with his asthma. He has a reaction to medicine, so the doc and the hospital worked with my family to find ways to cut back.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #35

Quote:
I heard the message loud and clear today.
Then just brushed it off and/or ignored it.:confused:
Quote:
I'm glad I got curious. I'd just like to know what's happening.
They say "curiosity" killed the kat cat, and therefore you must be taking the added precautions to see that that doesn't happen to you.

I wish you luck with your self-diagnosis & prescribed treatment plan.....I hope it works out, and that in the end you won't want to file a malpractice suit against yourself for misdiagnosis & incorrect or improper treatment.

Happy trails!
---------------------------------------

(this ends my posting in this thread)
Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #36

Calm down.

I did hear it. Had more experiences and decided on a plan.

If you go back and read what I said, I mentioned twice when I'd see a doc: the next time.

I didn't say I was skipping it, didn't especially say I was self-diagnosing anything, and I am still curious.

I'm going to be sure to find a doc who gets that I don't rush in.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Kate
Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So trust me on this REW: the first time in the doc's office, he or she would hear all this and tell me to watch what happens and come back if there's a problem.
You've spent more time explaining and justifying why you're not going to visit the doctor... than you would have spent visiting the doctor. You're your own worst enemy.

It would seem difficult for your reasoning to evoke further sympathy for your continued avoidance of consulting with someone who could advise & help. If you're not going to give either a doctor or this board's posters a chance to help then you're probably wasting your time here too.

This thread reminds me of the people who really really want to do whatever it takes to get to ER but for the best of reasons just can't seem to get around to doing it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #38

Geesh. I'm not wasting time or looking for sympathy.... I'm processing it. I came up with a plan.

Have a nice day.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Have a nice day.
I must admit that you make a compelling point there-- you have a nice life now.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
P.S. REW, I appreciate that we come from different experiences and it's easy for all of us to fill in blanks because it's hard to know all the information.

One thing I did not mention -- did not seem relevant -- is I am keenly sensitive to medicine. I said the women in my family don't like to be fussed over, but a corollary is we have trouble with medicine/pills/over the counter anything.

The very few times in my life I had to take anything, the doc had to cut it waaaaaaaay down or skip it. Once, just once, I had to take Maalox for some reason, and it was the worst experience in my life, rolling all over the floor in terrible pain. I can still hear the doc saying he just assumed I'd cut it back from the dose on the bottle...

FYI, my young nephew is the same way with his asthma. He has a reaction to medicine, so the doc and the hospital worked with my family to find ways to cut back.
Kat, it isn't about the elbows necessarily. Heck, you could be like me and just have tennis elbow that flares up on occasion. It is not getting screened for things that can be easily treated. Like HBP. Or high lipids. Or breast tumors.

One of my grandfathers died at age 99. Another at 92. A grandmother also died at 90. My mother died before all of them, at age 39 of a heart attack. My father died at 63 of a heart attack. Family history is a factor, not a guaranty.

Schedule a physical.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote