Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Looks like the third year in a row we'll hit our High Deductible
Old 07-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

Looks like the third year in a row we'll hit our High Deductible

2015 was our first year on HSA/HDHPs... That was the year that younger son broke his left elbow... then his right wrist. Older son had a 3 day hospitalization and then later took a baseball to the face - breaking his orbital socket in a couple places. And I had a cyst removed from my breast. We hit the family max deductible (but not any individual ones) and came close to hitting family max OOP.

2016 I started out very optimistic... we had very few incidents... and our medical OOP was nice and low for the first 2/3s of the year. Then, in October, the dentist noticed a mass on my son's jaw in the x-ray (and also noticed it in observation...) Turns out it was an Ameloblastoma requiring a 4 hour surgery. That was enough that we hit older son's individual max OOP.

2017 I go in for my normal check up... Doc doesn't like my iron levels so she has me take supplements and retest... Still no good so she orders a colonoscopy and ERG. Since it's for cause (and a year before my scheduled colonoscopy) this is a chargeable item. They found and removed 1 polyp (glad to have that gone). Unfortunately, they also found a submucosal lesion in my mid esophagus. I'm headed back for an endoscopy with ultrasound next month. It sounds like they'll do a needle biopsy while in there... Doing a little reading the odds of it being life threatening are very small... but the odds of them wanting to remove this mass/lesion are pretty high... so I likely have surgery in my future... Looks like this is the year that I hit my max out of pocket.

When I chose a high deductible plan I looked back at the family's medical history and decided we were robustly healthy with few medical expenses... As soon as we're on a HDHP - it all goes to heck.

Oh well... good thing I budget for the deductible and max OOP.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh man. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

Bummer

Hope things improve. This would seriously upset me. We all plan for some extra expenses to occur over time, but usually not year after year after year.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
... Unfortunately, they also found a submucosal lesion in my mid esophagus. I'm headed back for an endoscopy with ultrasound next month. It sounds like they'll do a needle biopsy while in there... Doing a little reading the odds of it being life threatening are very small... but the odds of them wanting to remove this mass/lesion are pretty high... so I likely have surgery in my future... Looks like this is the year that I hit my max out of pocket...
Let's hope that the lesion is benign. The deductible is not significant in the grand scheme.

I incurred max deductible of $10K for 3 years (1 for my son, and 2 for me). But we cost our insurer more than $200K for treatment. I'd rather the insurer not having to pay that much (and I did not have to go through miserable surgeries, treatments, and recoveries).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

That really sucks. This is why the rest of the world has a proper health care system ...
limeyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
That really sucks. This is why the rest of the world has a proper health care system ...
Since you made this political, define proper.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

That's a tough start to using HSA! How old are you? Can you afford to fund the HSA and pay expenses out of pocket?
Funding levels are too low but this is one of the best savings vehicles out there (if you don't need the money and have a custodian that allows investment beyoud a savings account)!
Doingitwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Just curious... would your total cost have been much different with a silver or gold plan or is it just a premium/deductible tradeoff?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #9

Please keep politics out of this. Thanks.

I would be slightly ahead if I'd done a silver plan. And I've said before... The most important part of the insurance is getting the negotiated rates. A huge savings.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doingitwrong View Post
That's a tough start to using HSA! How old are you? Can you afford to fund the HSA and pay expenses out of pocket?
Funding levels are too low but this is one of the best savings vehicles out there (if you don't need the money and have a custodian that allows investment beyoud a savings account)!
I'm 55. And yes we're mostly cash flowing the medical.... Saving the hsa funds to spend in the future. Keeping receipts so we can withdraw at any time.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
Wow, .
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #12

Sorry to hear Rodi, but I'm sure you will be just fine. We all tend to worry way too much about these things.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm 55. And yes we're mostly cash flowing the medical.... Saving the hsa funds to spend in the future. Keeping receipts so we can withdraw at any time.
Excellent!
Different circumstances here as DW has issues and is always on a gold plan. I'm 54, self-employed, and have $17,000 in my self-only HSA. I even paid her COBRA premiums out of it in 2010-2011. It'll come in handy down the road.
All I can add is to stay the course. Every year is not always as bad as the last!
We've come a long way from her having stage 4 cancer, no insurance and broke in our 30's to ready to FIRE later this year.
Best wishes for good news from both of us.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Wow, .
I tried not to reply! In-laws in Canada wait months or years for procedures we get routinely done in the US. The ignorance is overwhelming.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Hopefully this is the end and next year will be better .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Wishing you good luck Rodi!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #17

I am wishing you good luck and that 2018 will be a medical problem free year.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #18

Wishing you well health wise. What a bad stretch - three years. I hope my situation does not mirror yours. This is my first year in an HSA,HDP and DW had a significant medical condition so we're going to meet our OOP. When I was talking to people about a HDP, they said they were good if you were healthy and hardly used any medical or if you were really sick and used it to the max. I wasn't sure of the logic, but I was hoping for the healthy scenario. Hoping for better next year for us all.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Wishing you the best Rodi.

I hope your plan has 100% coverage rest of year after the high deductible met.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Since you made this political, define proper.
I didnt make it political, or at least didn't intend to

Most developed countries have decent healthcare that's available to anyone without paying thousands of dollars, depending on your employer for care, or going bankrupt if you can't afford care is all.

Nothing to do with politics particularly
limeyx is offline   Reply With Quote