Join Early Retirement Today

Lose weight with one tablespoon olive oil each morning?
Old 10-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lose weight with one tablespoon olive oil each morning?

I'm reading one of those cheapie magazines for women at the grocery check-out line, and there is an article that states that you can lose alot of weight just by taking a tablespoon of olive oil first thing every morning. I gathered from the article that this is an old folk remedy that's been around for eons--altho I've never heard of it myself. Supposedly someone took a tablespoon for a week and lost 7 pounds that week.
We use Colavita brand olive oil at home, which is expensive but very mild in flavor. I could probably choke down a tablespoon a day with that brand.
Has anyone ever heard of this before, tho? Anyone tried it? And does it work?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Even though Weight Watchers is known for low fat consumption, they recommend two teaspoons of "healthy oils" (just a few types of oils, with olive oil as one option). They feel that it helps in weight loss.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Even though Weight Watchers is known for low fat consumption, they recommend two teaspoons of "healthy oils" (just a few types of oils, with olive oil as one option). They feel that it helps in weight loss.
Not surprising, really -- as long as the oil is a "good" oil that has no saturated fat. Fats play an important role into making us "feel" like we're full and they can sometimes slow the absorption of carbs into the bloodstream.

I wonder if you specifically need to swallow a spoonful of it, though, as opposed to taking it another way or with other foods. I'd much rather consume the oil by using it in a veggie stir fry or some such.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My Weight Watchers leader suggested that you can use it in cooking, or make salad dressing with oil and vinegar or lemon juice and seasonings, or that it can be used in a variety of other ways. A veggie stir-fry would be a GREAT way to use it!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I love extra-virgin olive oil (or "evoo" as Rachael Ray calls it). Maybe it would work, as long as you didn't follow it with some parmesan cheese and really good artisan bread.

I wonder if it would kill your appetite if you started every meal with a teaspoon of evoo.

My FIL used to swear that sprinkling a tablespoon of vinegar on greasy food (chili, french fries, etc.) would remove all the fat calories.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #6

WHAT? No parmesan and artisan bread!!!

So, if I can eat the EVOO with a salad then it will be even easier. And this works? Has anyone actually done it and lost weight?
What intrigued me about the article was the person who lost 7 lbs. in 7 days didn't change their diet otherwise. I mean, how ez can you get?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm reading one of those cheapie magazines for women at the grocery check-out line, and there is an article that states that you can lose alot of weight just by taking a tablespoon of olive oil first thing every morning. I gathered from the article that this is an old folk remedy that's been around for eons--altho I've never heard of it myself. Supposedly someone took a tablespoon for a week and lost 7 pounds that week.
We use Colavita brand olive oil at home, which is expensive but very mild in flavor. I could probably choke down a tablespoon a day with that brand.
Has anyone ever heard of this before, tho? Anyone tried it? And does it work?
This absolutely works!!!! You do want to be sure to be near the toilet so when you heave yer guts out it's less messy.. Eating half a stick of butter has the same effect, and the grease cuts down on the stomach acids eating away your tooth enamel - you don't want to be lumped in with the bulimic models. *

*advise from an old skinny guy.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I suspect if you had been able to stay in the checkout line a little longer you'd have gotten to the part that said something like "along with moderate exercise and diet". I love olive oil, even straight, but there's no way taking a tablespoon of it in the morning will cause you to lose weight. I had a Chinese co-worker years ago who swore that drinking a cup of hot water with lemon in it every morning would help keep your weight down. It did, as long as you ate about 200 calories during the day like he did. I could drink all the hot lemon water in the world, but that Sausage McMuffin with Egg and hash browns would blow the concept to hell every day.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #9

I appreciate good olive oil, too. I like to change the provenance of my oil periodically as I notice definite differences between Spanish vs Italian vs Greek vs French. I am guessing that the efficacy of this olive oil diet might have something to do with satiety. Or, as Calmloki has so delicately put it, a laxative effect. I just got in from a yoga class and I'm hungry! I think I will cut a hunk of bread and pile on some Asiago. I suppose if I added some ale to my repast I would have a classic Ploughman's Lunch only late in the evening when I am headed for bed and it will metabolize as fat.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I am guessing that the efficacy of this olive oil diet might have something to do with satiety. Or, as Calmloki has so delicately put it, a laxative effect.
I think that's it. If a person is dieting, they are eating less and olive oil's gentle laxative effect may help.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Olive oil is known to raise HDL (the "good" cholesterol) and has other heart-protective effects according to proponents of the "Mediterranean Diet".

But I like mine in the rest of my food!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #12

The article said that the tablespoon of olive oil makes you feel FULL and that is why it works (supposedly).
If this is an old method it's funny nobody here seems to have heard about it. I know I hadn't.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Eating just a cup of sawdust would make you feel full and have no calories. Plus, cedar shavings would result in great smelling breath.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Not to mention I don't think I had olive oil until I was 30 years old--it wasn't part of the American diet when I was growing up (the oleo years ).

Didn't people take castor oil for their health in the olden days?

Quote:
Eating just a cup of sawdust would make you feel full and have no calories. Plus, cedar shavings would result in great smelling breath.
I've had granola bars that made me think of sawdust.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Didn't the Russians make bread from sawdust at the siege of Stalingrad? Don't recall seeing pictures of many chubby Russians in the siege photos - by golly - I think you're on to something - and it 's an old method to boot! The cedar idea is an intriguing enhancement...

The old school thing i've actually heard of and tried is cider vinegar and honey in a glass of water to start the day - but that's just to "wake up your innards and get the digestive tract started". Think it did give a little starter shot of energy and after downing a real sweet/tart glassful i was definitely awake!
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Didn't the Russians make bread from sawdust at the siege of Stalingrad? Don't recall seeing pictures of many chubby Russians in the siege photos - by golly - I think you're on to something - and it 's an old method to boot! The cedar idea is an intriguing enhancement...
Yes, I suppose indigestible fiber would make for a good slimming agent.

Bestwifeever....all we ever had growing up was corn oil margarine as it was supposedly the healthy alternative to butter and it was eagerly embraced by my progressive mother(my father liked to use that favorite of this forum, bacon, as a starter for his sautees). Now some of the margarines and commercially prepared mayonnaise tout "made with olive oil."
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I hear it helps with crack addiction, too.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I use olive oil and balsamic vinegar on salads. It's not particularly good for frying, though, due to a low smoke point. And there's no reason to use EVOO in that application. Use the lower grades.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #19

Alright then...I'll start eating a salad with a good amount of olive oil a day now and report if it works. See what sacrifices I make for this crowd?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I hear it has to be an enema or it doesn't work.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote