Join Early Retirement Today

Losing Gold Teeth
Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Losing Gold Teeth

So here's a macabre subject: as time goes on my gums keep receding from my teeth - many of which have really spendy gold crowns. Fighting a losing battle here - having them cleaned three times/year, flossing, all that good stuff, but they're still going. If one were to fall out in my sleep do any of you have any handy dandy way to recover the gold? Acids to eat away the tooth? Anyone with family wisdom passed down from old uncle Mengele?
Sheesh. Getting older: not for the faint of heart.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea, but...

What would you do with the gold? Where have you sold it, and how much is it worth?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Try asking an older dentist? (I suggest older because I don't think they're doing gold crowns very much any more these days...)

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Haven't sold any gold, but these folks are in our state: Gold Coins and Bullion Dealer - American Gold Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf, Panda and Krugerrand Gold Coins
At $833/oz. it doesn't seem thrifty to just toss bits of gold away...
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Try asking an older dentist? (I suggest older because I don't think they're doing gold crowns very much any more these days...)

2Cor521
Yes, they still make them. My dentist gave me a choice of gold or ceramic recently, and says gold
lasts longer due to tighter fits on the tooth.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
So here's a macabre subject: as time goes on my gums keep receding from my teeth - many of which have really spendy gold crowns. Fighting a losing battle here - having them cleaned three times/year, flossing, all that good stuff, but they're still going. If one were to fall out in my sleep do any of you have any handy dandy way to recover the gold? Acids to eat away the tooth? Anyone with family wisdom passed down from old uncle Mengele?
Sheesh. Getting older: not for the faint of heart.
I think if I were you I would forget about reclaiming the gold and go see a peridontist. Then get a new dentist. Those teeth belong in your head!

Ha
Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i agree with ha. i got my gums in terrible trouble especially when i was losing mom. ground my teeth so much i woke up with headaches and was actually self-extracting my teeth. i learned to relax better and of course after losing mom i was depressed but no longer had to watch her die (which was killing me). that relieved a lot of my tension. my periodontist did a great job of fixing me. i could have used some of your gold teeth to help pay the man. that was expensive. i have to use proxy brush now as well as floss now but i'm in great shape. also i get a cleaning about every 2 to 3 months.

i recently made an appointment for my sil there because she knows she has problems but has been avoiding getting fixed. my guy is great. he lectures on his subject and is one of these guys who really loves his work. for me he was able to grow back some bone i lost and replace a tooth with a fake one that's screwed in. you wouldn't even know it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

In 1985 when I had my crowns redone I asked for the gold teeth and cashed them in to a gold exchange who bought scrap gold, silver, etc. I think I got $35-40 for three teeth. Spot gold price was alot lower then. Also took in and old gold ring.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

That's interesting! I have a number of gold crowns done in 1975, that are starting to need replacing. They are way in the back of my mouth, so my dentist is perfectly happy to replace them with gold. He thinks gold crowns are pretty good, though he admits that most people don't want them any more. Given that this last bunch lasted over 30 years, I prefer them.

He's a young dentist - - I think he was in elementary school when I had the crowns put in - - but a good one. He always gives me any gold he gets out of my mouth, but I haven't ever known what to do with it. Now, I know.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Administrator

I would definitely go see a periodontist. I had great success 20 years ago. She used artifical bone grafts on 2 teeth which worked great, and after 2 years I improved so much she told me to stop coming chiding me that if all her patients responded as well as myself that she she would go out of business. (Apart from the treatment I received she taught me better cleaning habits to keep the gums healthy)