Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello ERD - I agree with what you say. I am not a lawyer either, but there is a fine line between medical information and medical advice. Therefore, in my opinion, it is “safer” (for those of us on this site who are clinicians) to provide information only by giving good references instead of writing anything which may be misunderstood / misconstrued as advice. I have a license to protect… hope you can see where I am coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I always appreciate the information that the medical (and other) professionals provide here. I'm no lawyer, but I see the distinction between information and advice.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #22

Sorry to read this Orchidflower. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend. Keep us informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Thanks...and yeah, I am worried about her particularly cause she hasn't contacted me since last week. My guess is they put her in the hospital now. Poor gal...and she thought she was starting a whole new chapter in her life (but not in this way).
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Hello ERD - I agree with what you say. I am not a lawyer either, but there is a fine line between medical information and medical advice. Therefore, in my opinion, it is “safer” (for those of us on this site who are clinicians) to provide information only by giving good references instead of writing anything which may be misunderstood / misconstrued as advice. I have a license to protect… hope you can see where I am coming from.
I understand where you are coming from... and can easily understand your reluctance to jeopardise the commentment you have made to your life. I further understand that the you have nothing to fear from this group... except that everyone who visits this Forum is not an official member of the collective and self-preservation is called for (by all of us).

With that in mind, I (personally) will not put any pressure on you to do more than you are comfortable with... I appreciate any input that you are willing to give.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #24

Just as an update: I wrote her finally and really expressed concern, so she wrote back right away and said that she had good news so far (endometrial Cancer); and the Dr. wants her this coming Monday to schedule a colonoscopy. He must want to see if any of it has spread I guess. She seemed pretty happy and was just working on fixing up her new house.
So far, so good. This is one of those cases to me where time will tell I think....but she's such a workaholic that she distracts herself with fixing that new house. Makes me wonder if I could be that cool in this situation? I hope I never have to find out, frankly.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
You don't really have enuf info to form any idea as to what her likelihood of success is.

The first thing is she needs to get an official diagnosis with what stage her cancer is at and how aggressive it is.
Agreed. Stage is key info as is pathology results from a biopsy. I lost 30 pounds in a month with Stage II Hodgkins Lymphoma - that was 1986. Sudden weight loss by itself is not a death sentence. Stage IV cancer of any kind is usually bad.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote