Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Low-acidity drinks without sugar, alcohol or caffeine
Old 08-27-2015, 05:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi, as per the title: any ideas for low-acidity (bad for teeth) drinks without sugar, alchohol or cafeine?

Water is the obvious answer, and I do drink lots of that. Every once in a while though I'd like something else. Especially in a bar.

Juice has sugar, wine/beer has alcohol, fizzy drinks destroy your teeth, and/or have cafeine and sugar. Coffee has cafeine.

Ideas?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #2
Administrator

Club soda with lime
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My go-to nonalcoholic drink is sparkling water with lime. Perrier or San Pellegrino.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy sparkling water of various kinds, some flavored.

Plain carbonation does not cause too the decay or other problems. It's the added sugar and citric acid that might cause problems. Is Carbonated Water Bad for You?

Another thing - I don't drink several of these a day, every day, like some people drink soda.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #5

Warren Buffet drinks 5-6 cokes, or cherry cokes, a day. I stick with regular coke. After all, if I am going to be a billionaire, I have to start somewhere.

Back in the day, 30 years and 40+ lbs ago, when i worked out regularly, it was Perrier with a lime.
Then Perrier had some bad water for a while, so I went with club soda and a lime.

I think the sodium content is higher than regular water. Once I FIRE I plan on reducing the coke, and am already starting.

Ice tea has caffeine, but probably a lot of great anti-oxidants.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Green tea, or my fav Canada Dry ten calorie ginger ale, with lime
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Perieer sometimes with lime, club soda too. I normally have 1 ice tea a week and 0 soft drinks.

Not zero sugar but I do have 8 oz. of gatoraid G2 some days, only 7 grams of sugar in a 12 oz. serving.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Cost conscious retirees make their own fizzy water.
You can kit up with for about $150-75 with a 2' high CO2 cylinder and regulator, buy a carton of Perrier, drink, and drill the empties' tops to accept a chrome tire valve. Get gallons of good water (we source from a mountain spring, a friend's well, a town some miles away, or just the $0.35/gallon purified water). Leave a couple inches head space, add CO2 @ 50PSI, make like they are shake weights, and re-pressurize a couple times. Flavorings we haven't appreciated, but the water is a fine mixer. Home built kit paid for itself in a couple months.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Coconut water is refreshing when chilled.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #10

I've been a water only drinker for years. Just to kick it up a notch I have a Sodastream which carbonates plain water. Many Sodastreamers add flavorings after carbonating but I like it unflavored, just fizzy, over ice.

I exchange the empty cartridge about once a month. It's $15 for a refilled cartridge exchange but most of the time I can find a 20% off coupon, so it's only $12 plus tax.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Hi, as per the title: any ideas for low-acidity (bad for teeth) drinks without sugar, alchohol or cafeine?

Water is the obvious answer, and I do drink lots of that. Every once in a while though I'd like something else. Especially in a bar.

Juice has sugar, wine/beer has alcohol, fizzy drinks destroy your teeth, and/or have cafeine and sugar. Coffee has cafeine.

Ideas?
If you are looking for something "in a bar" I think you are out of luck. Except for water (which you ruled out) everything in a bar is either carbonated, has caffeine or alcohol.

At home you could try caffeine free iced tea. My wife drinks a far amount of caffeinated ice tea because she's not big on fizzy drinks. Unsweetened it's low in calories.

If you don't like carbonated water that's all well and good, but don't avoid it because of your teeth. It's not really an issue.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I drink flavored sparkling water. It is common that grocery stores have their own store brand of this which is often very inexpensive. I sometimes buy LaCroix (tastes the best but is more expensive). Dasani (owned by Coke) has come out with several and is usually a bit more than store brands, but less than LaCroix. Also, Nestle has some. This is starting to take up more and more shelf space at the grocery store as more people don't want to drink the regular sodas (whether those with calories or those without).

I do caution to read the labels. Some stores will put in a sparkling water that either has sugar or artificial sweetener. I avoid those and get the ones that are just the water plus a flavoring.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vodka. Oh wait, I guess that has alcohol.

I think you're stuck with water. Or milk.

DH doesn't drink alcohol and his go-to bar drink is cranberry juice and club soda. Acidity is diluted by the club soda.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #14

Not sure if this meets the above criteria, but I like Diet Arizona green tea with ginseng.
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for cold coconut water. Very tasty and refreshing.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I do caution to read the labels. Some stores will put in a sparkling water that either has sugar or artificial sweetener. I avoid those and get the ones that are just the water plus a flavoring.
I've been tripped up by this as well.

I often buy store brand soda water with a little lemon, lime, or tangerine(!?) in it as a change up to diet sodas. It's pretty easy to accidentally pick up the store brand artificially sweetened sodas if you aren't paying attention - they are all clear colored.

They are rather sickly sweet to my taste and not my choice. So now I'm more careful when I buy.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I hadn't thought about low acidity, but I have noticed that in restaurants here it is virtually impossible to order any beverage without alcohol, caffeine, or sugar. I almost always order ice water, sometimes with a slice of lemon.

You'd think they would have a diet lemon-lime soda, but no. Not usually, anyway.

Sometimes I order diet Coke, but that generally means I won't be able to sleep until at least 12 hours later. And for that privilege, my total lunch cost is half again as much as it is with water.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #18

DH drinks herbal teas (no caffeine)...his favorite is the Celestial berry flavored with water for a change. I drink water and for a change, some club soda. I have several glass pitchers in the fridge with water, lemon in water, and DH's tea. Works great for us.

I'm still addicted to my morning coffee, but am weaning off the caffeinated to decaf.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

At home, I drink a lot of iced tea brewed with about 20% of the tea bags recommended, no sweeteners added.

This gives me something with just a hint of tea flavor; and, I assume both the caffeine and acid are diluted to the point of not being a real issue.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
I have several glass pitchers in the fridge with water, lemon in water
Various fruits work surprisingly well in a pitcher of ice water. Watermelon surprised me as quite good.