Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I agree that Clausthaler is excellent. A few others that I enjoy are Buckler (Heineken's NA), St. Pauli Girl NA and Beck's NA (sold as Hakke Beck in some countries). I would agree the O 'Doul's Amber is acceptable although the regular version is pretty bad, IMO.
+1

As for beer, I only drink NA in the afternoons here in hot Florida for thirst quenching. Clausthaler and Buckler are my #1 and #2. Real Cabernet at night though !

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Try the new Clausthauler Dry Hopped as well if you like the hoppy flavor. If someone didn't know you would have no idea, aside from not getting a buzz.
Truckinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Thanks. I haven't been enjoying brewski's for quite some time but that list looks rather interesting (I like the low/no alc). I wonder what the calorie count is..._B
Clausthaler is 86 calories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Keith, if you drank 2 glasses of premium California Merlot you might be pushing 15% alcohol. Assuming a 2-5 ounce glasses of premium wine, gives you the possibility of drinking 1.5 ounces of alcohol. While some of us oenophiles drink wine for taste, taste is all that matters. 1) Some French fruit do not get as "ripe" as California reds, perhaps 12-14% alcohol is the result. Dilution of a bold California red with water to your taste alarm goes off, again bringing down the alcohol %, is a suggestion. One word of caution, however, is that not only will it dilute the alcohol, but will dilute the acid, which is a major component of the taste. A little bit of cream of tartar, 0.4mg/l, in a squeeze water bottle will do it good for a dilution mix.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am still looking for an acceptable solution for red wine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I decided to go alcohol free several years ago after a long career of beer consumption. I now have an occasional NA beer or two. I agree that Clausthaler is excellent. A few others that I enjoy are Buckler (Heineken's NA), St. Pauli Girl NA and Beck's NA (sold as Hakke Beck in some countries). Kaliber, made by Guinness is also pretty good. I would agree the O 'Doul's Amber is acceptable although the regular version is pretty bad, IMO.
My buddy and I were having lunch yesterday and he asked for NA beer. All they had was O'Douls Amber. Better than nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckinalong View Post
Get an ablation if you can and put the flutter behind you. If you need recommendation go to afibbers.org and read up. Ask for help and they will send you in right direction. Shannon Dickson the owner of the site can help you locally or point you to best in world. He saved my life.

To the OP, Clausthauler, Becks NA, and Buckler all taste like or better than regular. Most have only had the junk american NA beers.
Yes however the craft beers have made good taste choices better almost everywhere. My cardiologist says that, as long as the treatment is working, an ablation is best avoided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A number of years ago, a few friends got together and bought some of all the NA beers available locally. We did a blind tasting to see which ones we thought better than the others. None of them were considered very good, but here's how they ranked:
  • O'Doul's Amber (made by Anheuser-Busch)
  • Kaliber (made by Guinness)
  • O'Doul's (the regular variety)
  • Sharp's (made by Miller Coors)
  • Buckler (made by Heineken)
  • Clausthaler (from Germany)
  • Warsteiner Fresh (from Germany)

Of course, there are many more NA beers available today, and I'm told some are quite decent.
Thanks. I will be doing a survey in Mexico in 2 weeks. I hope to find some available in the supermarkets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
+1
As for beer, I only drink NA in the afternoons here in hot Florida for thirst quenching. Clausthaler and Buckler are my #1 and #2. Real Cabernet at night though! Rich
Yes I am hopeful that an acceptable red is discovered. Right now dilution with an NA Merlot is all I have found. I will be trying cream of tartar though.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Clausthaler is 86 calories.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am still looking for an acceptable solution for red wine.
My buddy and I were having lunch yesterday and he asked for NA beer. All they had was O'Douls Amber. Better than nothing.
Yes however the craft beers have made good taste choices better almost everywhere. My cardiologist says that, as long as the treatment is working, an ablation is best avoided.
Thanks. I will be doing a survey in Mexico in 2 weeks. I hope to find some available in the supermarkets.
Yes I am hopeful that an acceptable red is discovered. Right now dilution with an NA Merlot is all I have found. I will be trying cream of tartar though.
Not to divert thread but at least talk to an electrophysiologist at a top center. You don't need to be on toxic drugs and manage this, you can be free of it and remember what life was like before it. In the right hands a-flutter ablation is easy and a doctor who says avoid is not giving you the full information you need to make your own decsion. That is all I will say. Best of luck. PM me if you want to talk.
Truckinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:15 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Non sequitur: We offered an NA beer to some firefighters who brought a truck to a block party for the kids to see. They turned it down because it would make them smell like they’d been drinking regular beer on the job.

Never considered that side effect—“really, officer, I haven’t been drinking....”
Old 09-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Non sequitur: We offered an NA beer to some firefighters who brought a truck to a block party for the kids to see. They turned it down because it would make them smell like they’d been drinking regular beer on the job.

Never considered that side effect—“really, officer, I haven’t been drinking....”
While I can understand that they might want to err on the side of caution, my impression is that NA beer does not leave an odor on the breath. Isn't the alcohol rather than the barley, hops and malt that leaves one with "beer breath"? With just a trace of alcohol in NA beer I don't think it leaves an odor. (And if others are like me, one or two NAs are all I care for in a sitting. Whereas with real beer I was often interested in a few more than that. That could have had something to do with tha aroma on the breath.)