Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #181
Dryer sheet aficionado

I went low carb (not any particular named plan) starting on Valentine's Day.
In 15 weeks, I'm down 23.5 lbs.
BUT the best part is that after about 10 days I realized that my joints had stopped hurting! My joints feel better than they have in 15 years! I went looking online to see if the change in eating could have had that impact and found that both sugar and wheat tend to cause quite an inflammatory reaction in the body.
My way of eating does not include sugar, grains, bread, pasta, rice or potatoes.
I eat eggs, fish, meat, cheese, butter, heavy cream, sour cream, full fat yogurt, non-starchy veg, small amounts (because of sugar) of berries, and small amounts (because of the possibility of eating a LOT) of nuts.
I only eat when I'm hungry and then eat only to satiety (which is easy, because my meals are very rich).
The key is to stay away from carbs and don't be afraid of fat!
I can go many hours without needing to eat, because I don't have that whole blood sugar roller coaster thing going on. It is really quite amazing!

Have fun!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #182
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes it is amazing. I'm so happy I finally embraced low carb. Sorry it took me until relatively late in life to drop the sugar potatoes and bread almost completely.

Congratulations on your very recent retirement.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnIslandTime View Post
I went low carb (not any particular named plan) starting on Valentine's Day.
In 15 weeks, I'm done 23.5 lbs.
BUT the best part is that after about 10 days I realized that my joints had stopped hurting! My joints feel better than they have in 15 years! I went looking online to see if the change in eating could have had that impact and found that both sugar and wheat tend to cause quite an inflammatory reaction in the body.
My way of eating does not include sugar, grains, bread, pasta, rice or potatoes.
I eat eggs, fish, meat, cheese, butter, heavy cream, sour cream, full fat yogurt, non-starchy veg, small amounts (because of sugar) of berries, and small amounts (because of the possibility of eating a LOT) of nuts.
I only eat when I'm hungry and then eat only to satiety (which is easy, because my meals are very rich).
The key is to stay away from carbs and don't be afraid of fat!
I can go many hours without needing to eat, because I don't have that whole blood sugar roller coaster thing going on. It is really quite amazing!

Have fun!
Probably a combination of reduced inflammation and less stress on joints since you lost weight.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #184
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would expect less stress on the joints with weight loss would make them feel better, but after 8 or 10 days I hadn't lost that much weight and I weighed less than I weigh now only 4 years ago and my joints were achy (I'd resigned myself to just living with it) so at that point it had to have been the drastic change in my eating.

Have fun!
Old 06-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #185

A friend of mine swears her joint pain stopped after she went gluten-free. Maybe it really is something with the inflammation for some people.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

When I went to my lower-carb diet, my GERDS went bye-bye.

Now I eat what I call a lower-carb/slower-carb foods. It seems to work well for me. Very little in the way grains, more whole food, and no freaking out over fat that is naturally in the food I eat. I do not intentionally eat 'fat bombs' as some low-carb people do.

And I do not make use of those low-carb bars, high protein bars, protein water, protein shakes, etc. etc. etc. Frankenfood is just not high on my list except as a very occasional convenience item.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:08 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
When I went to my lower-carb diet, my GERDS went bye-bye.
Same here, but the more surprising side benefit was that I also stopped snoring (according to DW so it must be true).
Old 06-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
A friend of mine swears her joint pain stopped after she went gluten-free. Maybe it really is something with the inflammation for some people.
I agree with your friend 100%.

I used to have joint pain in my 2nd and 3rd toes, left foot, where they meet the ball of my foot. No pain just sitting around - only after walking of running more than 5 miles or so.

I went gluten free and the pain disappeared. No pain even in a marathon. Now I have fallen off the gluten-free diet and the pain is back. And the area is now swollen.

I think the inflammation is at least partially due to gluten in my diet.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #189

I was hoping that low carb would get rid of my many aches and pains, but alas it hasn't.

I am, however, 30 lbs lighter than I was in mid-November, so it's still worth it.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

If you still have inflammation even with low carb, another consideration is nightshades. Sadly I am sensitive and can't eat them. Things like tomatoes, peppers, etc.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #191

The Tom Brady diet! I really don't eat nightshades much. I think alas my joint pain is actual joint pain, from years of misalignment due to leg length discrepancy, disc issues, hip dysplasia, and more. I'm getting better, though! (and I weigh 70 lbs less than I did at my height in the mid-2000s, so at least there's a lot less stress on my body).

I basically lived on carbs for most of my life, but my low-carb-but-not-insane approach has made it easy for me to not pay the good stuff any attention. Most of the time!

And my triglycerides dropped 90 points within three months.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
My experience wth joint pain disappearing was going dairy free.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Same here, but the more surprising side benefit was that I also stopped snoring (according to DW so it must be true).
We both lost GERD and stopped snoring after losing 50+ pounds apiece. Amazing how that helps.

Our diet wasn't low carb however I'm curious about lower carb for inflammation.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #194
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I am not surprised and I am quite aware of the added sugar. I sometimes get the "half-the-sugar" craisins. Nevertheless, I don't go overboard. A 5 ounce bag of craisins lasts me at least 15 days of meals. Plus I will get sugar from fresh fruit anyways.
A few decades ago when Moms started buying the then new mini-boxes of raisins or their kids snack time or boxed lunches, my DDS friend said they were one of the worst foods for dental health. He said the raisin texture (same as craisins) stuck to teeth worse than a candy bar. I mention this because as we age, dental health becomes a huge issue.
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I think the inflammation is at least partially due to gluten in my diet.
There is enough empirical data around to think that there might be something to this. And it also might be the large amount of highly processed foods many people eat.

Almost every time I travel to Italy, I hear a few fellow American travelers say something like this "At home if I have to watch what I eat or I end up with all sorts of aches, pains, digestive issues, sinus problems, etc, but here I can eat what I like and not have any problems. There must be something different."

Maybe it is the food (less processed, different hybrids, etc.). Or maybe it is the result of having a good time every day while on vacation.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Another win for true low-carb diets.

Quote:
The new study in the BMJ was elegant in its design. It did not rely on volunteers reporting what they ate. People have notoriously bad memories when it comes to detailing their caloric intake.

For this study, researchers recruited overweight volunteers from Framingham State University in Framingham, MA. These hardy souls included students, faculty and staff.

They agreed to eat only the food supplied by the investigators and they weighed themselves daily with a sophisticated WiFi scale (Withings) that sent the data directly to the researchers.

There were three dietary patterns that were tested. People were randomly assigned to receive either a high-carb diet, a moderate-carb diet or a low-carb diet for 20 weeks.
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2018...iet-warsagain/

If you with, take some time to listen to Dr. Ludwig's interview. It's an eye opener from a guy who has the creds to be taken seriously, IMHO.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2017...eeling-hungry/

Old 11-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #197
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting, Chuckanut! I loved that the article defined these in percentages of calories from carbs:

20% low carb
40% moderate carb
60% high carb

I have averaged 35% over the past 7+ months of weight loss efforts so I was right, I have been eating low to moderate carbs but closer to moderate. It's nice to have numerical definitions. I have been wanting to get my carbs down lower than that but despite the best of intentions, haven't accomplished that yet.

To me (a type 2 diabetic) it is amazing how drastically my A1C has corrected itself just from losing weight even with this many carbs instead of going strictly low carb. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, since I know some Type 2 diabetics are not even overweight.

As for extreme feelings of hunger, these sometimes catch me by surprise although I am generally less hungry on days of more high protein foods. I do know that if I resist the urge to eat more, such feelings often disappear in an hour or two.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Interesting, Chuckanut! I loved that the article defined these in percentages of calories from carbs:

20% low carb
40% moderate carb
60% high carb

I have averaged 35% over the past 7+ months of weight loss efforts so I was right, I have been eating low to moderate carbs but closer to moderate. It's nice to have numerical definitions. I have been wanting to get my carbs down lower than that but despite the best of intentions, haven't accomplished that yet.
There is a chunk of the low-carb movement that has sort of redefined themselves into the slow-carb movement. By not eating the carbs that spike insulin very high (processed grains, added sugar, white potatoes and rice mostly) one is still allowed to eat things like sweet potatoes, legumes and most fruits. Ludwig's book - Always Hungry - explains it better than I ever good.

The best thing about it is that I find it sustainable since 80%+ of what I used to eat is still available to me, though sometimes with different ingrediants and often with less added sugar (GASP! Is that yummy flavor what sweet potatoes really taste like without 1/4 cup of brown sugar poured over them!)

Old 11-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

To me (a type 2 diabetic) it is amazing how drastically my A1C has corrected itself just from losing weight even with this many carbs instead of going strictly low carb.
Congrats W2R!

I'm not diabetic, but I was quite overweight. Prior to losing 60 lbs this past 14 months, my fasting blood sugar was running in the mid to upper 90's. Now it runs mid-80's. And I'm completely off my BP meds. Losing weight has been a good thing for me too.

I did it by calorie counting and keeping carbs in the moderate range. (I love, love, love carbs, so no easy task for me!) I record everything I eat using myfitnesspal.com and carbs generally run around 45%.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
There is a chunk of the low-carb movement that has sort of redefined themselves into the slow-carb movement. By not eating the carbs that spike insulin very high (processed grains, added sugar, white potatoes and rice mostly) one is still allowed to eat things like sweet potatoes, legumes and most fruits. Ludwig's book - Always Hungry - explains it better than I ever good.

The best thing about it is that I find it sustainable since 80%+ of what I used to eat is still available to me, though sometimes with different ingrediants and often with less added sugar (GASP! Is that yummy flavor what sweet potatoes really taste like without 1/4 cup of brown sugar poured over them!)
Whole 30 sounds like it is based on this concept. I've looked at it only briefly but it looks like the program restricts all dairy, grains, sugars, alcohol, and artificial sweeteners, but allows fruits, vegetables (including potatoes), meats, eggs, fats (butter must be clarified). Looks like you don't have to portion control the allowed items. DH and I are going to follow it after the New Year. I don't eat much of the restricted items any way but DH is sure going to miss his granola and yogurt! Some young friends of mine follow it faithfully for 30 days at a time and they feel there are huge benefits, but they can each polish off a bottle of wine in no time so eliminating that alone probably makes them feel a little better