Join Early Retirement Today

Low Carb Diet
Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Low Carb Diet

Began a program that includes personal training and a dietary consultation with a doctor who specializes in diets based on blood type. He is also a big fan of strength training.

Anyhow with most blood types, he believes in low carb diets. High in protein. Under 100g of carbs per day. Goal is weight loss.

I have lost weight on other plans, but thought I would give this a try. I have read pros and cons of such plans. Wanted to know if anyone had any experience?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Anyhow with most blood types, he believes in low carb diets. High in protein. Under 100g of carbs per day. Goal is weight loss.

I have lost weight on other plans, but thought I would give this a try. I have read pros and cons of such plans. Wanted to know if anyone had any experience?
At 100g carbs per day I could not keep the weight on, no matter how much I ate. Part of the reason is once you reach 100g what's left to eat that day is just fat and protein, neither of which taste as good to me.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's collection of links pertaining to the Keto diet. I've lost around 15 lbs since October

https://www.instagram.com/deadliftsandtireflips/
https://www.facebook.com/deadliftsandtireflips

https://www.ruled.me/

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2OD36TE7NQQ0X

NIH Study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3939735/
another paper about keto and obesity
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

Keto and brain cancer
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/20...d-brain-cancer

Popular recipes
https://www.ruled.me/keto-diet-cost-...pular-recipes/

More recipes
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

Another recipe
https://therecipecritic.com/2016/05/...arlic-chicken/

Easy Keto Dijon Chicken Thighs
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/eas...hicken-thighs/

Easy Keto Chocolate Mousse
Easy Keto Chocolate Mousse | Low Carbe Diem

1 can costco Kirkland white chicken
Half a green pepper
1/8 to 1/4 of a paprika
1/4 white onion
Add your choice amount of Kirkland Mexican style blend shredded cheese. The shredded cheeses add a tiny amount of carbs, due to coating that keeps shredded cheese from sticking together, but it is minimal.

Cook in a pan for maybe 5 to 7 mins.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Began a program that includes personal training and a dietary consultation with a doctor who specializes in diets based on blood type. He is also a big fan of strength training.

For me, the big "pro" is that it's easier for me to lose weight on low carb, and it's easier to follow.

For me, some of the "cons" are that the food is more boring and the minute I go back to a regular non-low-carb diet, a lot of the weight I lost comes right back. Maybe the part that comes back is just water weight.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

On a low carb (low crap) whole food diet, I have been able to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight for over 7 years. My health seems to continually improve. Common ailments have been resolved. My thoughts and recommendations are captured in the attached paper. It is 2 pages plus a page of links, book recommendations and FAQs. I hope this helps and good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: doc What to Eat - Master.doc (57.0 KB, 117 views)
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #6

I get a lot more satiation from fats and protein than from carbs.

The problem for me is I like a lot of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, and other plant-based foods that make it very hard to stay below 100g of carbs a day. That's about 400 calories out of 1800-2000.

That's a lot easier to do when I have a protein shake with coconut oil to increase the amount of protein and fats, while still hitting a low carb limit.

I've found I'm happiest at about an even split between all three.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #7

great info thanks I'd suggest reading Always Hungry by Dr. Micheal Ludwig. It's also low carb, but not that low. it is meant as a lifestyle change not just a diet. it is in 3 phases. First phase lasts only two weeks and is really not all that restrictive, at least not compared to other similar diets I've considered and rejected. Next two phases one remains in for life, which one depends on how ones weight and well being are affected by a reintroduction of different foods, mainly some fast metabolizing carbs. here are carb and fat/protein counts: phase 1 carbs 100 to 150 grams
phases 2 and 3 160 to 240
all phases 100 to 140 grams of protein
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
gone traveling

I did a very low carb diet for 90 days beginning in October of this year, and lost a bit over 30 pounds. My diet was medically supervised, and included vitamin supplements Signature Weight Loss Supplements by Medi-Weightloss , and some appetite suppressants. I've been free eating very poorly since Christmas but haven't gained back much more than the glucose replenishment. I would highly recommend that Ketosis is the best way to loose weight, and simply reducing calories leads to frustration if you have a reasonable amount of fat to loose.

My diet had essentially no carbs outside of lettuce, and very few green vegetables (under 30 carbs)
Breakfast=2 eggs and 2 slices of turkey
Snack/lunch/dinner=4oz chicken/beef/fish or 1oz of cheese about 12-16 oz for the day
Supplemental snacks/meals=salad/pickles/green vegetables/jello

I'm going for another low carb period the beginning of February, and basically really miss eating that way. The biggest plus I found is the B12 really improved my overall mood. I took some walks but didn't really do many strenuous workouts or cardio.

negatives:
Going into Ketosis is painful, your body doesn't go willingly. Headaches, cramps, foggy head feeling the whole bit. Takes about 4 days to make it over the hump.

Suggestions:
Drink vitamin water to replenish electrolytes, watch for hidden carbs in the drinks.
Buy a Tanita fat monitoring scale if your budget will allow it.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #9

About 3 years ago, DW and I went low carb to lose weight. We were more in the 50-70g per day. We tracked everything and did meal planning on myfitnesspal. I lost 40 lbs in about 4 months. She lost 70 lbs over about 10 months.

We continue to eat mostly low-carb and we love the food. It's fairly easy for us in that we simply don't buy anything except fresh meat and vegetables at the grocery store. If we go out to eat or go over to someone's house, then we eat whatever we want. We also have traditional holiday meals at Thanksgiving, Christmas, July 4, etc. But the net effect is we've both maintained our target weight without much sacrifice. More importantly, we both have better blood pressure, less aches and pains like knees, lower back, etc.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #10

My mother was a dietician, and she definitely did not recommend going into ketosis on a regular basis. the low but not crazy low carb way for life makes much more sense to me. I have had "only" a 20 lb loss since Nov 1st, but I'll take it and however much more I lose over feeling bad. So far this low carb diet actually makes me feel better with no brain fog at all. Also blood pressure is improved and i hope my blood test for cholesterol etc will be better too come the summer at my next regular test.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I get a lot more satiation from fats and protein than from carbs.

The problem for me is I like a lot of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, and other plant-based foods that make it very hard to hit a limit of 100g of carbs a day. That's about 400 calories out of 1800-2000.

That's a lot easier to do when I have a protein shake with coconut oil to increase the amount of protein and fats, while still hitting a low carb limit.

I've found I'm happiest at about an even split between all three.
Do you mean that you struggle to eat enough carbs to reach 100 grams of carbs in a day, or that you struggle to keep your intake below 100 grams of carbs?

Ha
Old 01-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you mean that you struggle to eat enough carbs to reach 100 grams of carbs in a day, or that you struggle to keep your intake below 100 grams of carbs?

Ha
Keeping it below. Most plant-based foods I've noticed that are higher in protein tend to be at least 1/1 or 2/1 as a carbs/protein ratio.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #13

The problem for me is I like a lot of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, and other plant-based foods

Yeah, but these are not the problem: they are all extremely healthy foods. This January I signed on with a nutritionist for three month monitoring, with the goal of losing 10 lbs and the bigger goal of consistently eating healthy. The mantra is EAT REAL FOOD. These foods are all on the list. None are foods that have kept me slightly overweight for some years. What has been eliminated are sugary products, low-fat products, fast food, all "white" products like bread, pasta, white rice, and other simple carbs. The diet includes lots of protein, lots of good fats, lots of veggies, some fruit.
It feels very good to eat this way.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There was a news story last night on the nightly news about a limited time diet where this woman who weighed about 250 lbs tried more traditional dieting and lost some weight but when she limited the time she ate from about 8 am to 2 pm, weight started coming off and she lost a lot more. The explanation is because of only eating during those short times, the diet is like fasting every night and burning fat while sleeping. Very interesting.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
The problem for me is I like a lot of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, and other plant-based foods

Yeah, but these are not the problem: they are all extremely healthy foods. This January I signed on with a nutritionist for three month monitoring, with the goal of losing 10 lbs and the bigger goal of consistently eating healthy. The mantra is EAT REAL FOOD. These foods are all on the list. None are foods that have kept me slightly overweight for some years. What has been eliminated are sugary products, low-fat products, fast food, all "white" products like bread, pasta, white rice, and other simple carbs. The diet includes lots of protein, lots of good fats, lots of veggies, some fruit.
It feels very good to eat this way.
This is what we do also. And, we have kept it up for several years.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
There was a news story last night on the nightly news about a limited time diet where this woman who weighed about 250 lbs tried more traditional dieting and lost some weight but when she limited the time she ate from about 8 am to 2 pm, weight started coming off and she lost a lot more. The explanation is because of only eating during those short times, the diet is like fasting every night and burning fat while sleeping. Very interesting.
I've only heard it called Intermittent Fasting. The most extreme examples are only eating one giant meal a day, or eating two days worth of food and then going without for the next day.

Ultimately and regardless of other health concerns and body composition, I think it's only by an accurate accounting of calories consumed versus calories burned that get weight off, but it's cool that there are so many ways to get into a caloric deficit diet.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #17

I do not know the best eating regimen but I do follow certain rules such as no soda pop, limited fried foods, eating more vegetables, among others. I do know that I want an eating regimen that will not change from my diet to my ongoing diet regimen. My approach would be to learn a way to maintain my ideal weight with the same food selection that help me lose weight. In the end, it is 'calorie in/out' analysis, as others have said. I personally would not have confidence in someone who suggested eat X now and Y later. My experience is a person will lose weight and then gain weight as a lifestyle change made during the diet period, was temporary.

And, while I feel exercise is overrated for weight loss, unless a person is doing a lot of exercise, I think it is important to the entire effort. If nothing else it makes a person feel better about themselves. And, if a person really wants to up their exercise, it can have a significant positive result for weight loss.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I've only heard it called Intermittent Fasting. The most extreme examples are only eating one giant meal a day, or eating two days worth of food and then going without for the next day.

Ultimately and regardless of other health concerns and body composition, I think it's only by an accurate accounting of calories consumed versus calories burned that get weight off, but it's cool that there are so many ways to get into a caloric deficit diet.
The message of that story was the importance of when you eat versus what or how much. But with this diet, time is up, no snacking and only consume stuff with zero calories like coffee or water.

Link to that story for those interested:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...-1139312195873
Old 01-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
On a low carb (low crap) whole food diet, I have been able to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight for over 7 years.
For me it's been about eight years. I'm 6'6" and was around 250 lbs - definitely getting too large! I've been around the 210's for the last couple of years and have been able to keep within that range eating low carb (and whole food) style.

A couple of hints:

Embrace eggs! They are delicious, nutritious, and can be cooked in variety of styles, plus they are cheap. I eat a lot of eggs.

There are a lot of low carb vegetables and fruits. Leafy greens (do check the carbs in dressing - you'll be surprised at many of them) and summer squashes are low carb. Berries are an excellent low carb fruit. And melons aren't bad. I eat an apple some days - but eat small ones. Apple's at the store have gotten huge!

Good luck!
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

DW and I lost a bundle of weight with CICO. However we do believe that higher fat, lower carb is a more satisfying diet.

Some folks have medical conditions that make higher fat diets desirable and necessary.

IIRC 100 grams net carbs is lower carb, it's not going to put most in ketosis. That occurs at much lower carb levels.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote