Low Carb Diet Issues

What's the significance of that ratio? I've just checked my last blood tests, and I have Triglyceride/HDL = (41mg/dL)/(86mg/dL) = 0.47 (and fasting glucose = 97mg/dL). The maximum ratio that would be within the normal range, according to notes on my lab report, is 150/40 = 3.75.

Like Harley says, your metabolism appears to be in great shape. The ratio correlates well with much more expensive tests, which indicate the amount dense, oxidized LDL in the blood. The lighter "fluffy" LDL is now believed to be relatively benign. Large amounts of dense LDL indicates your body is resisting the onslaught of excess glucose and becoming less efficient at dealing with it. It indicates insulin resistance developing in the liver and the generation of excessive amounts of reactive oxygen species.

Amethyst said:
Actually I have noticed my triglycerides rising decade by decade (25 years ago, they were 38; up to 114 now) although I exercise daily, and eat hardly any processed foods (does peanut butter counts as a processed food? I bet it does :(). My total cholesterol is never less than 190, although I eat little animal fat. The cholesterol ratios are within normal limits though.

I think a lot of this is genetic. There is a lot of high cholesterol, heart disease, and stroke on one side of the family; none that I know of on the other side.

Amethyst

I have read, and I'm no expert, that approx. 75% is "genetics" and rest is diet. Thats probably why they say on the Lipitor commercials "when diet and exercise are not enough....."

A close relative has T2 diabetes and is very obese (more than twice what they "should" weigh). Is on diabetic medication, sees dr. regularly, tests blood sugar constantly. Doesn't exercise. Claims to be able to "eat around" sweets, fried food and alcohol. (Meaning they do consume some amount of those foods, although I don't think it's in huge amounts). I have been wondering what on earth they could mean by "eating around" something that's bad for them.

Also - my fasting blood sugar is 85 (normal) - is there any reason for me to limit carbohydrates? Should I even give it a thought? Just curious...as others have noted, people on this thread have done way more research than most, so I'd be interested in what they believe.

Amethyst
I think it is likely worthwhile for one who has no blood glucose issues to avoid or strictly limit table sugar and high fructose corn syrup. The corn syrup will be easy, just avoid pop. The sucrose may be harder and possibly not worth the bother if you are a dessert lover.

Ha

I have read, and I'm no expert, that approx. 75% is "genetics" and rest is diet. Thats probably why they say on the Lipitor commercials "when diet and exercise are not enough....."

Actually, I'm pretty sure they say that so you'll go in to your doc and say "hey, I tried diet and exercise and you say my cholesterol is still too high. Why don't you [-]give me[/-] [-]sell me[/-] let my health insurance pay for some of those Lipitor pills I heard about on TV. "

If I could travel back in time and talk to my 25 yr old self, I would suggest that he eat fewer carbs. I just see it as a healthier way to eat, like using the correct fuel for one's car. This would have saved me 30 years of struggling to avoid a beer belly, and avoiding great foods.

I couldn't agree more. :)

A time travel based diet would definitely be a real winner.

What's the significance of that ratio? I've just checked my last blood tests, and I have Triglyceride/HDL = (41mg/dL)/(86mg/dL) = 0.47 (and fasting glucose = 97mg/dL). The maximum ratio that would be within the normal range, according to notes on my lab report, is 150/40 = 3.75.

Statistically, dividing the maximum of one variable's reference range by the minimum of another's tells you nothing about the distribution of the ratio. BTW, many endocrinologists say that a ratio of Triglycerides to HDL greater than 3.0 indicates insulin resistance.

A close relative has T2 diabetes and is very obese (more than twice what they "should" weigh). Is on diabetic medication, sees dr. regularly, tests blood sugar constantly. Doesn't exercise. Claims to be able to "eat around" sweets, fried food and alcohol. (Meaning they do consume some amount of those foods, although I don't think it's in huge amounts). I have been wondering what on earth they could mean by "eating around" something that's bad for them.

Also - my fasting blood sugar is 85 (normal) - is there any reason for me to limit carbohydrates? Should I even give it a thought? Just curious...as others have noted, people on this thread have done way more research than most, so I'd be interested in what they believe.

Amethyst

The only thing I would suggest (since you have a close relative who is T2) is to occasionally check your blood sugar 1-2 hours after a meal, especially if your fasting number (which is excellent now) were to start to creep up.

If I could travel back in time and talk to my 25 yr old self, I would suggest that he eat fewer carbs. I just see it as a healthier way to eat, like using the correct fuel for one's car. This would have saved me 30 years of struggling to avoid a beer belly, and avoiding great foods.

If I could travel back in time and talk to my 25 yr old self, I would tell him to buy Microsoft, sell by 1999, AND eat fewer carbs.

AKA, for some people, "I tried diet and exercise, I don't like them one bit, thank heavens there's a pill." (Not denying the meds are a vital solution for many people).

I still wonder - can any of you explain the "eating around" business? Sheer denial on relative's part, or is there something to it?

A.

I still wonder - can any of you explain the "eating around" business? Sheer denial on relative's part, or is there something to it?

A.

Yep. Sheer denial. Unless they mean that they "eat around" the things on the plate and don't touch them. If they're eating them, they aren't eating around them. And if he was cutting way back on them, I suspect that's what he would have said. As an expert in excuses and spin, it doesn't sound kosher to me.

My bro has very high cholesterol, high BP, high blood glucose, and is full of BS... He is 7.5 years younger than me. At my age of just under 50, I'm in much better health.

His doc told him to try diet and exercise...bro said "why bother, there's a pill for that!".

R

Back
Top Bottom