Join Early Retirement Today

Low carb diet risks
Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Low carb diet risks

I know lots round here are lowering carbs for health and weight control. DH and I have been very diet conscious lately. I'd be interested in your comments on this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/he...nutrition.html

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It seems to suggest that low carb, semi-vegetarian diets are the way to go.

Quite frankly, I'd die of cullinary boredom on that kind of diet.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I know lots round here are lowering carbs for health and weight control. DH and I have been very diet conscious lately. I'd be interested in your comments on this.

I would have to go to the Med Lib and read the study, and then think for a while before I could make an informed comment on these findings. I will do that, and I thank you for bringing this study to my attention.

One thing that does jump out is that it is pretty well established that cured meats do promote both cancer and heart disease. The entire effect reported here, if it is indeed real, may be due to the cured meat problem, which I do accept.

Ha
Old 09-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
If not eating Twinkies will make me die a week earlier... who cares.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Purron, I read the original meta-analysis and the results are not entirely applicable. For instance, fruit intake was not accurately measured between the low fat group and low carb groups. I believe there may be unique risks to beef intake but the evidence is low quality.

My impressiosns: low carb is better than usual carb intake; protein intake is safe in general assuming normal kidney function, absence of gout etc. Best evidence suggests low carb, balanced protein and low glycemic carb intake is beneficial, and dark meat is best used in small doses. Fat intake is best derived mostly from plants and fishies.

This is based on good but not definitive evidence since long term diet is hard to study. Hope that helpsl

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Really weird. I don't know why but I eat low carb & lotsa nuts & some veggies. Article says that's the way to do it. How did I know this

Yes TI, it is boring, but you can make it interesting if you want to.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Personally my diet is somewhere between Mediterranean and Atkins maintenance.
The healthy part is that I am retired and not stress eating.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

For me I feel best on a modified Paleo diet. Meat but also lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts and beans, too.

I tried low carb and my skin dried out. It starting cracking and flaking. I marvel at the number of people who seem to thrive on low carb diets. It just didn't work for me at all. I did lose weight but didn't feel good and the dry skin was down right scary.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'd be interested in your comments on this.
Less meat and more fruit is probably a good idea, but it can lead to an awfully boring diet. Chicken & fish are a lot more interesting with Mexican & Thai spices.

The odd part is that your digestive system (and its bacteria) adapts after 4-6 weeks, and if you go back to your old diet then you're not happy. I occasionally check the calibration with fettucine alfredo or an ice cream sundae and it's not pretty...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFrugal View Post
I tried low carb and my skin dried out. It starting cracking and flaking.
That is interesting, I eat very low carb and I have very oily skin and always have had. I am getting up into the dry skin age too, but doesn't happen to me.

Ha
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
It seems to suggest that low carb, semi-vegetarian diets are the way to go.

Quite frankly, I'd die of cullinary boredom on that kind of diet.
Never mind boredom, I'd die of starvation, because I've never figured out how it's possible to be low carb and vegetarian at the same time. Maybe my vegetarian info is outdated—I only know the complementary protein combinations of legumes, grains and dairy. The way I eat isn't really a low-carb diet as such, because I eat plenty of veggies and fruit, but I don't see how to get enough protein from vegetarian complementary combos, without also enormously increasing the amount of grain-based foods I eat in a day. Not that I'd mind that, I love bread and pasta and oatmeal and rice! I wouldn't mind cutting down the amount of meat in my diet either, to save money and decrease my environmental footprint, but I'm afraid to try, lest I regain the thirty pounds I lost by limiting my intake of grains, pasta, bread etc. Is there really such a thing as low carb vegetarianism? Book or website suggestions anyone?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been low carbing for quite a while. IMHO it is the only way to loose weight and keep your triglycerides and BG low. Here is an interesting link on the subject. Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes: The Antidote to the Obesity Epidemic?
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

This book and author comes up quite often in this Forum:

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - Search Results

One of the better threads was started by Trombone All:

Good Calories Bad Calories Book Report/Synopsis
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I went low carb six months ago and I feel so much better . I have more energy and I've lost weight . I did not totally eliminate carbs just cut way back. I also realized that when I eat carbs I just crave more carbs and it's a vicious cycle .
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I went low carb six months ago and I feel so much better . I have more energy and I've lost weight . I did not totally eliminate carbs just cut way back. I also realized that when I eat carbs I just crave more carbs and it's a vicious cycle .
I've cut back on bad carbs (starchy carbs - cookies, cake, crackers, BREAD) over the last year too and my weight has shown a great improvement. Most people tend to eat more meat in place of the lost carbs, but I've found, for me, that I'm better off replacing my lost carbs with more carbs - just low calorie carbs - mostly veggies. My protein comes mostly from Greek yogurt, hummus, beans (maybe 1/2 cup or less) and chicken or fish (maybe 3-4 slices of a roasted chix breast) a few times a week, but not every day.

When I want something a little more wicked...I go out to eat and eat anything I want, just in moderation. I only go out for my treats maybe once a month or so.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFrugal View Post
For me I feel best on a modified Paleo diet. Meat but also lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts and beans, too.

I tried low carb and my skin dried out. It starting cracking and flaking. I marvel at the number of people who seem to thrive on low carb diets. It just didn't work for me at all. I did lose weight but didn't feel good and the dry skin was down right scary.
beans are a no-no on the paleo

Paleodiet Foods
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #17

I thrive on a 60/20/20 diet. Definately not low carb, since 60% of my calories come from carbs. The rest are from protien and fats. Then again I suffer from an addiction to hard exercise.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
(snip)
When I want something a little more wicked...I go out to eat and eat anything I want, just in moderation. I only go out for my treats maybe once a month or so.
I have also given myself one day a month I can eat anything I want. I knew starting off that I'd never stick to my plan if I had to choose between stuffing and pie at Thanksgiving dinner!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Some sample links regarding Paleo, and the problems with SAD (standard American diet). At least, according to these blogs...

No grains, no sugar, more saturated fat, less or no PUF (polyunsaturated fat), i.e. no industrial oils.

Others go so far as to eliminate fruits, and many vegetables as well, but I'm not buying it... \

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

PaNu - P

Hyperlipid: Getting fat (1) staying fat

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I try to keep my net carbs under 60 grams a day. It has been very easy to do. I still eat some fruit (usually berries with homemade heavy whipped cream)and lots of colorful vegetables. I cut out starchy veg. like corn, potatoes, and cut out rice and most grains. I eat all the full fat meat that I want along with generous amounts of cheese and small amounts of seeds and nuts.

My skin is better then ever and I am not hungry. I have type II Diabetes and this WOE had kept my BS down. I also on special occasions about once a month eat without restrictions. It takes about 3 days to recover from these breaks. Believe me I wish I could eat all the cheese curls and my moms pasta that I want.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote