Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

This morning I had a slice of toasted nut bread made with flax seed meal and carbquik, with three pats of butter, Nature's Hollow low-carb strawberry jelly, lots of homemade sugar-free maple syrup, and a huge mound of sugar-free whipped cream.
recipe?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
recipe?
I should probably just share the link to the 90 recipes on my googledocs, but let me think about the implications of that, and in the meantime:

-----------------

Flax Seed Meal Nut Bread

Ingredients:
1.5 cups flax seed meal
.5 cup Carbquik (can substitute more Flax seed meal instead)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
.5 cup chopped roasted pecans (optional)
1 Tablespoons erythritol
5 beaten eggs
3 drops splenda
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.
Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.

--------------

Jelly: Nature's Hollow | Sugar free - Preserves, Syrup, Honey, BBQ Sauce and Ketchup

Sugar free jelly ratings:
10=a good real jelly

Polaner
Orange marmalade 7
Strawberry 2
Grape

Walden Farms
Strawberry
Orange Marmalade 3

Nature's Hollow
Strawberry 9
Blueberry 10 (but 5 g net carbs)

-------------

Sugar-Free Maple Syrup Triple Batch

3 cups water
1 1/8 tsp Xantham Gum
30 drops sucralose
20 drops stevita
3 tsp maple extract
3 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1/2 cup erythritol (was ¾ originally)

Add xantham gum to water, blend with stick mixer
Add sucralose and extracts
Heat, and add erythritol

Be sure to add the erythritol last, otherwise it may recrystallize.

-----------------

Whipped Cream

2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Drops Liquid Splenda
2 Drops Stevita
1 tsp Vanilla

------------------------------

Carbquik Recipe: Brownie

Servings: 16
Net Carbs Per Serving: 2g
Total Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
Brownie:

3/4 stick butter (3 oz)
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1.5 cups Erythritol (powdered or ground in food processor)
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup Carbquik
3/4 cup pecan, chopped

Brownie: -Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease bottom and sides of square pan, 9x9x2 inches.
-Melt butter and chocolate in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. You can do it in the microwave, but saucepan might be better.

-Cool slightly and add Sweetener to chocolate and blend well till smooth.
-Beat vanilla and eggs in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed 5 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture on low speed.
-Beat in carbquik just until blended. Stir in walnuts. Spread in pan.
-Bake 20-30 minutes or just until brownies spring back in the middle and begin to pull away from sides of pan.
-Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Spread with Chocolate Frosting. Cut into 4 rows by 4 rows

Chocolate Frosting:

2 tablespoons butter
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, cut into pieces
1.5 cups erythritol
2 to 3 tablespoons hot water

[I haven't tried the frosting]

-----------------------

Fudge

Anna Chocolates

.5 cup Cream
2 ounces (4 tbs) Butter
300 g (10 oz) Baker's unsweetened chocolate
1 cup almond butter (with no sugar!)
1/4 cup Nuts
1/8 tsp KCl

15 drops Splenda
.5 cup powdered erythritol

Melt it all together (except sweetener) in the microwave, 1 minute at a time. Add Splenda and nuts, pour it into an 8x8 glass, and put it in the fridge.

---------------

Chocolates

8 Squares unsweetened Baker’s Chocolate (chopping helps but is optional)
1 Tbs coconut oil
12 drops liquid splenda
8 drops Stevita
.5 tsp Peppermint Extract (optional)
1/8 tsp KCl salt or regular salt
.5 cup Erythritol (granulated)
1 cup Well-roasted pecans, chopped

Do all heating slowly, and don’t let the chocolate get too hot.

Melt the chocolate on low, sliding them around and stirring frequently.
Combine all other ingredients and nuke for 1 minute or more

Once the chocolate is melted add other ingredients and stir
Then pour onto waxed paper on a cookie sheet
Place in freezer until hardened

-------------------

1-Minute Muffin
1/4 cup Flax Seed Meal
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Egg
1 Tbs Melted butter
1/16 tsp salt

1.5 Carbs

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffe cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out

-----------------

For cheesecake I make these "clouds" and put it in a pie crust (see below);

Cream Cheese Clouds

CREAM CHEESE CLOUDS
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
8 drops splenda,
.25 cup powdered eryth
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring

Beat everything with an electric mixer until fluffy. Drop by bite-size spoonfuls onto a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze until firm, at least 1 hour. Store in the freezer and eat frozen.
Makes 24 clouds

NOTE: You can store these in the refrigerator and they will hold their shape quite well as long as they are good and cold.

With granular Splenda:
Per Cloud: 70 Calories; 7g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carb
Per 2 Clouds: 140 Calories; 14g Fat; 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
With liquid Splenda:
Per 2 Clouds: 134 Calories; 14g Fat; 2g Protein; .5g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs
Per 4 Clouds: 268 Calories; 29g Fat; 3g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carb

---------------

Pie Crust

Ingredients:
  • 1 and 1/2 cups almond meal or almond flour
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • Artificial sweetener equal to 3 tablespoons sugar
Preparation:
Heat oven to 350 F. Melt the butter (if the pie pan is microwave safe, melt the butter in it) and mix the ingredients up in the pan and pat into place with your fingertips.

Bake for about 10 minutes until the crust is beginning to brown. After 8 minutes, check every minute or so, because once it starts to brown it goes quickly.
Nutritional Information: The whole pie shell has 11 gramseffective carbohydrate plus 17 grams fiber and 30 grams protein.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Cauliflower Mash

Mashed Cauliflower

Steam .25 head of cauliflower in the microwave until soft
Mash with 2 TBS butter 2 TBS heavy whipping cream. Adjust cream to get desired softness.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

"sweetened with maltitol, which is just about as bad as sugar."

Not to mention the usual side effects, which can make you very unpopular at the table or the ride home...
Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Here's my chart on sugar alcohols (more correctly: polyols):

SugarAlcohols.jpg
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Attachment 13858
Great chart, Al. Thank you.

Ha
Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you for all the great recipes too, Al.

I would like to add one more (and will add another bread recipe using a bread machine when I find time. I tweaked what I found on the net by changing ratio of ingredients.)

Cauliflower soup
Low Carb Cauliflower Leek Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This tastes just like cream of potato soup to me (unless I eat it cool/cold.). I think the leek is what makes the soup thick. I add some thyme in it, but not necessary. I use chicken broth and I don't put as much as the recipe says (less than half of what the recipe says, and add more as needed). Really yummy.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

DW has always been a huge mashed potato fan; it's her ultimate comfort food.granules
When we switched to a LCHF diet last year, losing that dish was a problem for her.

I searched high and low, and finally found a recipe for faux mashed potatoes that she says is as close to the real thing as you can get. She loves it when I make this.

LOW-CARB MOCK MASHED POTATOES

2 10-ounce packages frozen cauliflower (or fresh 3/4 head)

1 tsp chicken bouillon

1/4 tsp white pepper

1 tsp minced onion flakes (optional)

2 Tbs butter

2 Tbs heavy cream

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Cook cauliflower in microwave or on stove top until it is VERY done–fall-apart fork tender.

Drain well and mix cauliflower with all other ingredients except cream with a hand mixer. (Mixing with mixer will give “lumpier” results than a food processor, but the lumps make it seem even more like mashed potatoes.)

Add cream slowly and mix again. (You must be careful adding liquid. If you add too much, you are in for trouble. Your dish may take a tiny bit more or less than the called for amount of cream.)

Spray an ovenproof dish with cooking spray and put mixture in. Add pats of extra butter on top if you like an extra buttery “potato” flavor and a bit of paprika sprinkled on top adds nice color as well.

Bake 20-30 minutes until hot.

Additional note: One of my favorite snacks these days is bbq flavor pork rinds. When the bag is empty, there are always some tiny pieces and crumbs in the bottom of the bag. I save these in a Tupperware container in the frig. A tablespoon or two of these crumbs mixed in with the other ingredients adds a bit of color and extra flavor, and DW absolutely loves it this way.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Attachment 13858
I only use any kind of sweetener once in a great while (1 or 2 times a year) and prefer saccharine.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
DW has always been a huge mashed potato fan; it's her ultimate comfort food.
I am fortunate. My comfort food is sautéed spinach and a poached egg on top. It just makes me feel alright.

Ha
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Mashed Cauliflower

Mash with 2 TBS butter 2 TBS heavy whipping cream. Adjust cream to get desired softness.
It's also quite good with sour cream and some garlic pepper.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I think I will probably start slowly, limit added sugar and white flour (I am not a rice eater so white rice is not a problem.) It's hard to get my mind around the idea of eating lots of fat containing foods.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #33

I have been doing low carb and higher good fats for awhile now, because I feel do much less bloated and yukky. It has nothing to do with weight loss, but I notice that I seem to feel more energetic on it and therefore I exercise more.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I think I will probably start slowly, limit added sugar and white flour (I am not a rice eater so white rice is not a problem.) It's hard to get my mind around the idea of eating lots of fat containing foods.
Okay to start slowly. But beware, there is "hidden" sugar in many prepared foods. Apparently the high fructose corn syrup really is even worse than all the other sugars and it seems to be everywhere. Cutting back on sugar intake is only part of the solution. High carb foods are rapidly broken down into sugars in the liver and then circulated through the body via blood. The elevated blood sugar levels do slow but permanent damage. Many of us have been eating low fat high carb diets for years and wondering why over those same years the epidemic of obesity came on so strong in America. Part of the answer is that the rapid elevation of serum blood sugar after a high carb meal caused our bodies to convert that excess sugar to fat. The other part of the problem is that our consumption of sugars, especially high fructose corn syrup in sodas and sports drinks has gone up during the last few decades. After a high fat low carb meal the blood sugar only rises a little and usually stays within a healthy range. The increasingly common metabolic syndrome we see of obesity, hypertension, diabetes, joint problems and heart disease is directly related to all the sugar AND carbs we have been eating while limiting our fat intake.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Okay to start slowly. But beware, there is "hidden" sugar in many prepared foods. Apparently the high fructose corn syrup really is even worse than all the other sugars and it seems to be everywhere.
I have been reading the literature on the subject of sugar in general and the high fructose corn syrup in particular. While I retain an healthy skepticism of medical claims and would not rush in one direction simply on the basis of one "expert" view, some have good credentials so he can't be ignored. OTOH, I have seen good doctors get carried away with their fame and celebrity status and morph into marketing machines selling books, magazines, food products, etc. At leastone doctor gives simple advice such as "Eat Real Food". I guess it is hard to sell a line of manufactured food products ( nutrition bars, frozen dinners, snacks, etc.) after giving advice like that.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Mashed Cauliflower

I for one would love to see the Trombone Al Low Carb recipes, if you decide to release them to the wild.

Do you find being on a low carb regimen affects your energy, specifically when cycle touring or doing things like your century ride ?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #37

I use agave nectar as a sugar substitute.

I have found I feel much better having restricted rice, flour and potatoes from my diet. I find I prefer the taste of sweet potato over regular potatoes.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

OK, I've read up on sharing, and I am releasing my recipes. Click on the link below

TromboneAl's Recipes

Please let me know if this works, and let me know if you are able to get my email address from that (or see any docs other than recipes).

- Al
Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Do you find being on a low carb regimen affects your energy, specifically when cycle touring or doing things like your century ride ?
No it doesn't affect my energy. On very long bike rides, I allow myself carbs, although a few riders don't.

Someone experimented with pro cyclists on a low carb diet. It took them about 2 weeks to adapt, at which point they felt OK, except that they had less energy during sprints.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I use agave nectar as a sugar substitute.

I have found I feel much better having restricted rice, flour and potatoes from my diet. I find I prefer the taste of sweet potato over regular potatoes.
Agave nectar is no better than sugar: http://jonnybowdenblog.com/the-truth...%99s-all-hype/