Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I think I will probably start slowly, limit added sugar and white flour (I am not a rice eater so white rice is not a problem.) It's hard to get my mind around the idea of eating lots of fat containing foods.
Yep, we've all been brainwashed for years that fat is bad. Just be carefuly that you eat the right kinds of fat, though: The Complete Guide to Fats and Oils – What to Cook With (or not), What to Avoid and Why
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OK, I've read up on sharing, and I am releasing my recipes. Click on the link below

TromboneAl's Recipes

Please let me know if this works, and let me know if you are able to get my email address from that (or see any docs other than recipes).

- Al
It seemed to work as you expected. However, it required me to log in to my google account. This was slightly troubling, as your stuff showed up along my stuff. Plus, I'm entering my password after clicking on a link you provided, which raises 'phishing red flags' for me in general. It made me wonder if anyone could see my stuff. I'm sure they can't, but it did make me wonder about glitches and so forth, if I could be exposed.

I've shared docs with others, by just giving them the link to the doc. They don't need a google account to get to it. By sharing a 'collection', this seems to be between google account owners. I think you can share a folder with non-account owners, but I have not tried.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I can attest to this. I am a 51 year old that is on a 6 month run of eating low carb, high fat. I have lost 30 lbs and my blood work looks better than it has in years.
Foghorn Leghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It seemed to work as you expected. However, it required me to log in to my google account. This was slightly troubling, as your stuff showed up along my stuff. Plus, I'm entering my password after clicking on a link you provided, which raises 'phishing red flags' for me in general. It made me wonder if anyone could see my stuff. I'm sure they can't, but it did make me wonder about glitches and so forth, if I could be exposed.

I've shared docs with others, by just giving them the link to the doc. They don't need a google account to get to it. By sharing a 'collection', this seems to be between google account owners. I think you can share a folder with non-account owners, but I have not tried.

-ERD50
Worked fine for me Al. The folder just showed up in a shared docs section for me too and I don't see your email address which surprised me.

ERD50 - a simple way to avoid the potential phish would be to log into Google first and only then activate the link.

Not an add but I recently got 50G of free storage/sharing space for life at box.com, which is an online storage and file sharing site. I got it thru an promotion for the Android mobile app (they did something similar for iPhone last year). I am not sure exactly how much the provide free to PC users or Iphone/Android users outside the promotion - the site shows a range of 5-50G. I assume your sharing partners would have to sign up for an account to share your files. This looks like a bit like Dropbox. Can't get enough free storage.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
I definitely went through the steps to publish it so that a login wouldn't be required, then logged out and tested it -- got the docs without logging in. There's a lot of discussion of this problem, and right now I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out what's going on.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Illustrations (that's Lena's One-minute muffin on the right):

Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

But in case you think that the tide is turning towards low-carb, just note how this recent study has gotten so much press:

All red meat is bad for you, new study says - Los Angeles Times

Whereas the problems with studies like that are just not understood by the average Joe.

Will Eating Red Meat Kill You? | Mark's Daily Apple

Red meat & mortality & the usual bad science
Old 03-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I definitely went through the steps to publish it so that a login wouldn't be required, then logged out and tested it -- got the docs without logging in. There's a lot of discussion of this problem, and right now I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out what's going on.
Looks like it may be buggy. I signed out of my google account and tried again, and I could see your collection by itself (maybe I was signed in and timed out before - so this was a 're-log-in' thing?).

But oddly, there were no scroll bars on that web page, so I couldn't scroll sown to see the other recipes, but maybe that's something with my browser/OS. I'll try later on another system or after a re-boot.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think that the Harvard School of Public Health should have required their researcher [Frank Hu] to write in a preamble setting out the limitations to such studies ['red meat will kill you"]. If anybody should understand this stuff, they should. Bush league!
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #50

I loved this comment:
Quote:
"Red meat will only kill you if it's bigger, faster, hungry, and also eats red meat."
Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
A benefit I've also noticed is that the LCHF diet seems to also naturally lend itself to reducing your portion size. That was always my problem. We eat quite healthy and generally have for about 8 years but my portions were always really big and usually seconds. I blame the wife for being an awesome cook.. lol
This may be due to the fact that protein makes you feel sated faster. This is why many parents back in the day made kids eat their meat first, veggies next, and THEN they could have dessert.

On a related note, the LCHF diet works because it: (1) relies on protein to satisfy hunger and preserve muscle mass, and (2) relies on fat for energy and forces the body to use its stored fat reserves. It takes roughly 7-10 days for your body to switch from burning carbohydrates to burning fat.

Here is an interesting version of LCHF popular in bodybuilding circles:

The Velocity Diet
VELOCITY LIFE | The New Science of Rapid Body Transformation
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

For those of you who can't live without pasta I have been cooking with Dreamfield's for a couple of years ever since I read that it was "lower" carbs. I like it because it tastes like any good regular pasta. I hate most faux pastas and whole wheat pastas. In any event, with DW trying Atkins and all this info on this thread I started researching Dreamfields and it sounds like there is a good chance it's claims concerning "digestible carbs" (not to be confused with standard net carbs) may be accurate. that would mean a portion of Dreamfields is effectively providing only 5g of carbs. I'm in heaven. Now I have to wait for my Internet order of all of T-Al's ingredients to arrive so I can add pastries and candies.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I started researching Dreamfields and it sounds like there is a good chance it's claims concerning "digestible carbs" (not to be confused with standard net carbs) may be accurate. that would mean a portion of Dreamfields is effectively providing only 5g of carbs.
You may have missed the other side of the story:

The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud | Dietdoctor.com

I think it's safe to say there is considerable debate about the carb loading of Dreamfields.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You may have missed the other side of the story:

The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud | Dietdoctor.com

I think it's safe to say there is considerable debate about the carb loading of Dreamfields.
Thanks Braumeister. What a drag. To good to be true is just that. What swayed me the most was testimony from a diabetic blogger who did blood sugar tests that showed no impact. Either he didn't wait long enough or he was BSing.

I think I needed "fraud" in my search.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Are beans considered low carb?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut
Are beans considered low carb?
No.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Has anybody used TVP - texturized vegitable protein - in things like meat loaf? I am wondering about this stuff as it doesn't seem like real food to me.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #58

I used TVP in meatloaf in the 70's when beef was high. We liked it alright. You couldn't really tell the difference.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Thanks Braumeister. What a drag. To good to be true is just that. What swayed me the most was testimony from a diabetic blogger who did blood sugar tests that showed no impact. Either he didn't wait long enough or he was BSing.

I think I needed "fraud" in my search.
Just buy yourself a meter and some strips and see how it works for you, if pasta is important to you. It may be fine. I am very carb sensitive, so I really do not want to tempt fate for something I don't much about.But it might be ok in your metabolism.

Everyone should have a meter, it is a wonderful truth finding tool.

Ha
Old 03-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #60

For those still wondering about last week's "red meat will kill you" study from Harvard, there was another good piece in the WSJ today debunking it.

Quote:
Individuals generally want to know how different their lives will be if they make a certain decision, and relative risk can obscure the effect on the individual.
Quote:
if eating red meat really does shorten life instead of merely being associated with higher death rates, the results translate into a typical 40-year-old man in the study living to 79 instead of 80 if he chooses to add a hamburger a day to his diet.