Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Are beans considered low carb?
Dried beans not, but green beans are ok

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

KCl - Potassium Chloride?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

KCl - Potassium Chloride?

Al,

Looking through your recipes I saw KCl as an ingredient (thanks for those by the way).

How do you buy this ingredient and what is its purpose in the recipe?

I have been using FitDay.com to log my foods and I have noticed I'm low on potassium in my diet while following a LCHF diet, not that I've been experiencing cramps, but my stats show a lower than RDA intake for potassium.

Any thoughts, anyone?

(Started LCHF on 2/20 and have lost 12lbs so far, no hunger pangs, about 25lbs to go)

Old 03-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most supermarkets around here carry potassium chloride, right next to the regular salt. Look for the little blue shakers.

Morton Salt | Morton® Salt Substitute
Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I had been wondering why KCl NaCl mixes are recommended over straight KCl, but I've since read that some people find KCl to taste metallic.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I had been wondering why KCl NaCl mixes are recommended over straight KCl, but I've since read that some people find KCl to taste metallic.
I'm one of them.
I use regular salt, but not very much.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
"sweetened with maltitol, which is just about as bad as sugar."

Not to mention the usual side effects, which can make you very unpopular at the table or the ride home...
I noticed that 'effect' in my past 'experiments' with low carb diets, Atkins et al' over the last two years.

heh heh heh - my downfall no matter which diet - I dog it on the exercise part periodically and have to jump start when I finally feel too guilty.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I noticed that 'effect' in my past 'experiments' with low carb diets, Atkins et al' over the last two years.

heh heh heh - my downfall no matter which diet - I dog it on the exercise part periodically and have to jump start when I finally feel too guilty.
This is harder. I have found creating a spreadsheet to be helpful. I'm logging 410 cal/day exercising, day in day out over the past 6 months.

Yesterday I was late getting out to see my GF, a goal much more intrinsically rewarding than exercising. I knew that my stretch on I-5 would suck bigtime, but I told myself, if you only do enough to log 410+ cal, you will not backslide. So that is what I did, I do not want to see those numbers falling. If I have more time, I do more, which will gradually lift my bar.

I also keep 7d, 30d, and 90d moving averages. I want to keep them all rising, until I think I am getting maximum benefit. My guess is that is around 600-800/day, but it may be more or less. Imagine how much energy children expended when we were young, or for us older members, when our children were young. In summer, or during school vacations we would get going in morning, and not stop until our parents stuffed us into bed at night. Sometimes it was even hard to sit down for lunch.

Ha
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Count me in on the metallic taste plus it seems to impart a cold, numbing sensation on the very tip of my tongue.

Would be interested to hear responses to putting a few granules of KCL in your palm and lick it, then NaCl, and see if there is a significant difference.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Count me in on the metallic taste plus it seems to impart a cold, numbing sensation on the very tip of my tongue.

Would be interested to hear responses to putting a few granules of KCL in your palm and lick it, then NaCl, and see if there is a significant difference.
I gave Jenny a taste test when we were on our camping trip. I presented two samples on a plate and she tasted them both.

"Oh, Yuck!" she said, "That's the KCl (pointing to one) -- it tastes terrible!"

But what she didn't know was that her tricky old dad had given her two identical samples of regular old NaCl.

It can be fun to be me.

So, don't trust your perceptions!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I gave Jenny a taste test when we were on our camping trip. I presented two samples on a plate and she tasted them both.

But what she didn't know was that her tricky old dad had given her two identical samples of regular old NaCl.

It can be fun to be me.

The order you taste things in can affect it too.

In cases like this a 'triangle test' is best. Three samples, two are the same, one different. The taster knows this, but doesn't know which is which or which one was selected as the unique one. They can go back and forth, to get multiple tastes. If they can't reliably pick out the unique one, and then identify it correctly, then it isn't an obvious difference.

-ERD50
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Count me impressed with low carb. DW wanted to try it because she stopped Lipitor. I am the cook so I read the new Atkin's book and decided to give it a shot too. We started on friday. I jumped in at level 3 since I am already at the top of normal for my height. I weighed 180, down from 195 about a year ago when I quit candy (I was a major addict) and upped my exercise regimen. I plateaued at 180 after a few months and have been there since. Today I weighed myself at the gym and am at 176. Amazing if it holds. I was good with the carbs holding myself to around 50 on Friday, 85 on Saturday, and 50 yesterday. I will let the weight go to 170 and want to hold there even if that means more carbs.

Now if I could find pasta, rice and French bread substitutes. "
Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

It can be fun to be me.

You are just too cool to be a typical dad!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Now if I could find pasta, rice and French bread substitutes. "
Have you tried Shiritaki noodles? Not ideal, but they are pasta-like, and you can have spaghetti with a low-carb sauce and Italian sausages. Here's from my pre-low-sodium days:

SpaghettiDinner.jpg

I haven't tried this:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/low.../caulirice.htm

I'm going to make it tonight.

--------------------------------

It's remarkable that there have been no anti-low-carb posts on this thread. A few years ago, there would be some "of course you need carbs," or "the brain needs carbs," or "it's bad for you kidneys." posts.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Sorry Al, I tried shirataki last night and didn't like it. Cauliflower sounds horrifying but I will make some for DW and taste it.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

I started a LCHF diet last October after reading "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Davis. I frequent Mark's Daily Apple website and have cut out all grain, dairy, sugar and legumes (beans) and added more seafood and various varieties of meat. I have lost 40 pounds (still have 20 to go to get to High School weight) and all of my blood work has improved markedly. I usually have bacon and eggs for breakfast, along with "bulletproof" coffee and perhaps some kippers; lunch is a salad, usually with a bit of fish or chicken and dinner is seafood or meat with some greens. No snacks of any kind, ever; and I restrict my drinking to water, coffee, unsweetened green tea and red wine.

I always feel as though I have overeaten, but my weight keeps dropping at the rate of about a pound a week, give or take.

I tend to ignore the low-fat noise.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Here's a report on the Cauliflower Rice.

Does it taste like rice? By itself, no, it tastes like cauliflower. But with butter and "salt" and juice from a slow-cooker meal, it's pretty close. It absorbs the juice and takes on its flavor.

I nuked it for 6.5 minutes -- next time I'll do 8. Also, I will add butter before nuking so it melts.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #77

It sure looks like rice; that might be enough to fool me...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Count me impressed with low carb. DW wanted to try it because she stopped Lipitor. ...
Did Mrs. Donheff lose weight too?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #79

It looks too much like Uncle Ben's or Minute Rice. Rice is supposed to be sticky and hold together when you eat it with chopsticks. Sorry for whining so much. I guess I will give it a try with some crockpot ribs or pork chops.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Any of you low carbers use keto-stix? I use them from time to time, and usually I get readings of small to moderate (15-40 mg/dl). I have never been out of some degree of ketosis for the year when I have been testing, at least that I caught with testing. I also remember about 7 years ago when a doctor I saw asked me if I had any explanation for all the ketones in my pee. He said, usually when we see this the patient is not sitting here kind of normal looking. At that time I ws not testing at home.

Ha