Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Objecting to low carb, how about the no carb KE Diet?


The K-E Diet: Brides-to-Be Using Feeding Tubes to Rapidly Shed Pounds - Yahoo!
__________________

__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Objecting to low carb, how about the no carb KE Diet?


The K-E Diet: Brides-to-Be Using Feeding Tubes to Rapidly Shed Pounds - Yahoo!
Fromthe prospective groom's POV, I would say that if he doesn't want a hefty wife, he shouldn't marry a woman who needs to diet for her wedding. Odds are against him anyway, after all this is America.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Objecting to low carb, how about the no carb KE Diet?


The K-E Diet: Brides-to-Be Using Feeding Tubes to Rapidly Shed Pounds - Yahoo!
From the prospective groom's POV, I would say that if he doesn't want a hefty wife, he shouldn't marry a woman who needs to diet for her wedding. Odds are against him anyway, after all this is America. And if he sees his enamorata waliking around town with a tube up her nose, immediately abort mission.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
... And if he sees his enamorata waliking around town with a tube up her nose, immediately abort mission.

Ha
Wait! You can eat through this tube... while walking around? This sounds even better than a beer hat!

I need two Philly cheese steaks, and the big blender...
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,334
I looked at the ingrediant in some of the low-carb baking mixes. The problem I have is that they seem to be very manufactured products. So, I am not sure using them really amounts to 'eating real food'.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
In a recent study by Johns Hopkins, it was determined that loss of belly fat improved arterial blood flow and that low carb diets did better than low fat diet in achieving such weight loss:

Losing Belly Fat, Whether From a Low-Carb or a Low-Fat Diet, Helps Improve Blood Vessel Function - 03/13/2012
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Why the Campaign to Stop America's Obesity Crisis Keeps Failing - The Daily Beast
If The Weight of the Nation [upcoming HBO documentary] accomplishes anything, itís communicating the desperation of obese Americans trying to understand their condition and, even more, of lean (or relatively lean) parents trying to cope with the obesity of their offspring. Lack of will isnít their problem. Itís the absence of advice that might actually work. If our authorities on this subject could accept that maybe their fundamental understanding of the problem needs to be rethought, we and they might begin to make progress. Clearly the conventional wisdom has failed so far. We can hold onto it only so long.
__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Why the Campaign to Stop America's Obesity Crisis Keeps Failing - The Daily Beast
If The Weight of the Nation [upcoming HBO documentary] accomplishes anything, itís communicating the desperation of obese Americans trying to understand their condition and, even more, of lean (or relatively lean) parents trying to cope with the obesity of their offspring. Lack of will isnít their problem. Itís the absence of advice that might actually work. If our authorities on this subject could accept that maybe their fundamental understanding of the problem needs to be rethought, we and they might begin to make progress. Clearly the conventional wisdom has failed so far. We can hold onto it only so long.
+1 I still can't believe how easy it is to maintain a LCHF diet and lose weight in the process while paying no attention to calories and fats. Even with a gargantuan splurge Saturday night in NYC I broke the 170 pound barrier this morning (169.6) taking me back to my college days. In total I have dropped from a high of 195 to 170 with no real effort and no cravings. To me that seems unbelievable. I could never have done that with the low fat, carb rich approach we used to pursue.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
+1 I still can't believe how easy it is to maintain a LCHF diet and lose weight in the process while paying no attention to calories and fats. Even with a gargantuan splurge Saturday night in NYC I broke the 170 pound barrier this morning (169.6) taking me back to my college days. In total I have dropped from a high of 195 to 170 with no real effort and no cravings. To me that seems unbelievable. I could never have done that with the low fat, carb rich approach we used to pursue.
I think that is the usual experience. I have pretty much lost respect for the medical profession. Some doctors in the trenches must have this figured out, but most of them keep mum, thereby condemning their overweight patients to misery and possibly bad health.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
In a recent study by Johns Hopkins, it was determined that loss of belly fat improved arterial blood flow and that low carb diets did better than low fat diet in achieving such weight loss:

Losing Belly Fat, Whether From a Low-Carb or a Low-Fat Diet, Helps Improve Blood Vessel Function - 03/13/2012
That study's definition of low carb was 30% of calories, which on a 2000 calorie/day diet would mean 150g of carbs. I would think that's above (or at least on the high side of) most low carb diets. So, maybe lower carb would yield even better results?

Anyway, as Jenny Ruhl the Blood Sugar 101 author states (and I can confirm), you get to experience one good, quick weight loss with low-carb before the body figures it all out and provides some resistance the next time!
__________________
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #131
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
That study's definition of low carb was 30% of calories, which on a 2000 calorie/day diet would mean 150g of carbs. I would think that's above (or at least on the high side of) most low carb diets. So, maybe lower carb would yield even better results?

Anyway, as Jenny Ruhl the Blood Sugar 101 author states (and I can confirm), you get to experience one good, quick weight loss with low-carb before the body figures it all out and provides some resistance the next time!
Do you mean if you go off the diet and regain the weight?
One thing about Jenny, though she is a very smart and well informed person, she likes her muffins. Low-carb takes commitment and willpower, though likely less than any other successful diet.
Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #132
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,330
I've lost over 300 lbs in many years of yo-yo dieting. My typical cycle was to get up to 250 or 260 lbs and have those 42" pants starting to get snug. I'd then start some version of a low fat/low calorie diet where I'd starve for several months but get down to 200 to 210. I would then resume the weight gain because I couldn't maintain the weight constantly being hungry.

I switched to a low carb diet almost 8 years ago and lost weight quickly with no hunger. I've been able to rattle around between 205 and 215 without any serious issues. Sometimes I cheat, like on vacations, but I usually consume less than 50 gm of carbs daily. My blood chemistry is good but not spectacular despite the consumption of fats that conventional wisdom says cause high cholesteral.

I read the Atkins basis for the diet with the study after study that supports reduced carb consumption for weight loss and even to improve blood sugar issues for borderline diabetics. I've read some vegan inspired "research" saying how we shouldn't eat meat but their science is pretty thin. What I've seen reads more like religious literature. Success seems to be based more on some version of starvation than anything else. I will say that I had great blood chemistry when I was on my low fat diets but I just couldn't maintain a perputual state of semi-starvation.
__________________
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #133
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
The argument that the current advice just isn't working is a strong one. No matter what you think, we've been told to eat a low-fat diet for over 15 years, and the obesity epidemic gets dramatically worse.

NBC nightly news had articles on this, and I noticed a slight change. On Monday they said "...It may be that a calorie is not a calorie, and that eating refined sugars and grains cause you to eat more." That's actually a big change, but the rest of the article was the same old stuff (we have to eat less and exercise more).

On Tuesday, an obesity expert (who herself was borderline obese) said that people are eating "too many carbohydrates," but she did add "and fat."
__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #134
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you mean if you go off the diet and regain the weight?
A lot of people have concluded that if they go low carb, but then revert to the standard American diet, that when, even years later, they go low-carb again, it is not as effective. I think they say that your first time is your "golden opportunity."
__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #135
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A lot of people have concluded that if they go low carb, but then revert to the standard American diet, that when, even years later, they go low-carb again, it is not as effective. I think they say that your first time is your "golden opportunity."
Do you know if this is true? It would seem really odd if it were.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #136
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A lot of people have concluded that if they go low carb, but then revert to the standard American diet, that when, even years later, they go low-carb again, it is not as effective. I think they say that your first time is your "golden opportunity."
If you chose an analogy, this sounds to me something like if you are prediabetic and move into the diabetic range, you will then always be diabetic and cannot go back, but if you move from being prediabetic to a normal non-diabetic range, you have taken advantage of your golden opportunity. Unfortunately, I failed to take action when I was prediabetic and moved past the point of no-return if there is such a thing. That said, I have yet to really give the low carb approach a real go of it, but I want to.
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think that is the usual experience. I have pretty much lost respect for the medical profession. Some doctors in the trenches must have this figured out, but most of them keep mum, thereby condemning their overweight patients to misery and possibly bad health.

Ha
Wow, that is pretty harsh. And I agree with you 100%.
__________________
CW4, USA-(ret)
RN, BSN-(ret)
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A lot of people have concluded that if they go low carb, but then revert to the standard American diet, that when, even years later, they go low-carb again, it is not as effective. I think they say that your first time is your "golden opportunity."
Interesting! There is the conventional wisdom that most any diet will work to reduce weight for at least awhile. And the conventional wisdom also is that most of these diets eventually fail because the participant backslides and reverts to their old bad eating habits. Perhaps the body actually is adapting to the diet and doing something different to again store fat? For me this is my first experiance with low carb and it is resulting in a slow weight loss withpout too muc effort on my part. Most days I have far less than 50 grams of carbs. I do admit to cheating a bit when on the road.
__________________
CW4, USA-(ret)
RN, BSN-(ret)
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #139
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Interesting! There is the conventional wisdom that most any diet will work to reduce weight for at least awhile. And the conventional wisdom also is that most of these diets eventually fail because the participant backslides and reverts to their old bad eating habits. Perhaps the body actually is adapting to the diet and doing something different to again store fat?
The "set point" theory would potentially explain this but it doesn't explain why more and more people are getting fatter. The idea that we are all eating way more seems ludicrous. The content of our diets is more likely the culprit.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #140
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
NBC nightly news had articles on this, and I noticed a slight change. On Monday they said "...It may be that a calorie is not a calorie, and that eating refined sugars and grains cause you to eat more." That's actually a big change, but the rest of the article was the same old stuff (we have to eat less and exercise more).
In the research presented by Atkins, a calorie is a calorie (except alcohol) but that low carb suppresses your hunger so you eat less.

The non-carb alcohol (vodka, gin, scotch, etc) reduces weight loss by tying your liver up processing alcohol and not converting fat.
__________________

__________________
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to put low risk money bobbee25 FIRE and Money 27 03-04-2012 11:06 PM
What should I do with my low performance American Funds? prototype FIRE and Money 39 02-29-2012 11:04 AM
So how are we doing from March 2009 low? Lsbcal FIRE and Money 29 02-06-2012 05:16 AM
Low Interest Rates until 2014! Chuckanut FIRE and Money 12 01-28-2012 09:43 PM
Low Interest Rate Damage Chuckanut FIRE and Money 27 01-01-2012 11:35 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.