Low carb diets gain respect
Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Low carb diets gain respect

Andreas Einfeldt interviews Eric Westman
http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-scienc...-carb#comments

some interesting points:
  • the science that low carb diets are healthy is "pretty solid"
  • at the moment there is a "knowledge transfer deficit" (to practicing physicians, nutritionists, government organizations and the media.)
  • don't try to do low carb, low fat (do low carb, high fat)
  • the fear of dietary fat is the root cause that people are being told the diet is bad
  • "we were taught the wrong things" (doctors, nurses, dieticians)
  • 90% of bariatric physicians use low carb diets to treat patients

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me it's compelling that Westman, who has been promoting LCHF for years, is the president-elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Excellent! Just the bit of encouragement I needed. Having recently switched to LCHF diet I am having some trouble unlearning all the wrong information I learned about fat.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

THANKS, rgarling. A very nice interview. Dr Westman seems to be a modest guy.

Here is another interesting report- this time of a peer reviewed published study via UK physician/blogger Dr. Briffa. An interesting no- chemical assay of post diet vascular health is tried.

Yet another study shows the superiority of lower-carb eating over low-fat | Dr Briffa's Blog - A Good Look at Good Health

Ha
Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

This interview with Dr. Westman was one of the things that contributed to my conversion to a LCHF diet:

Eric Westman, Duke MD, on Low Carb, High Fat, New Atkins Diet | Me and My Diabetes
Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

WE started low carbing at the beginning of 2012 and have had excellent results. I'm a firm believer in the low carb way of life.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
WE started low carbing at the beginning of 2012 and have had excellent results. I'm a firm believer in the low carb way of life.
We second that. This is our first try at the "new" Atkins and are finding both that it provides excellent results and is much improved over the "old" Atkins. The improved emphasis on leafy greens is very welcome as is the ability to add more seafood in place of red meat and cheese only.
Mind you, as an avid but amateurish runner and biker, it still kills your energy at the beginning. I've had to modify the half marathon training program I'm currently on because I just can't handle the workload for the pace I selected. The weightloss is worth it though. 10 lbs in the first three weeks.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This thread come at very interesting time for me. A little over a week ago, I was with a friend near dinner time. Normally, my dinner is lots of veggies cooked with little or no fat and a piece of white chicken meat or fish. Then, about an hour later, I am hungry and I grab dessert - something surgary, often very sugary. So, we stopped for dinner and I have an 'old-fashioned' burger - 1/4 pound meat patty, tomato, lettuce, onions on a white bread bun. Also, some olives and veggies. I noticed upon returning home that I did not crave sweets!! This past weekend, I tried it again myself. For lunch, a 1/4 pound hamburger patty with some veggies and olives. I was pretty much satiated until dinner, where I had two meat sausages, veggies and wine. I did eat a dessert, but only about 1/2 the usual amount, and only because they were homemade goodies!!.

This has got me thinking that I need to rethink my diet.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
This thread come at very interesting time for me. A little over a week ago, I was with a friend near dinner time. Normally, my dinner is lots of veggies cooked with little or no fat and a piece of white chicken meat or fish. Then, about an hour later, I am hungry and I grab dessert - something surgary, often very sugary. So, we stopped for dinner and I have an 'old-fashioned' burger - 1/4 pound meat patty, tomato, lettuce, onions on a white bread bun. Also, some olives and veggies. I noticed upon returning home that I did not crave sweets!! This past weekend, I tried it again myself. For lunch, a 1/4 pound hamburger patty with some veggies and olives. I was pretty much satiated until dinner, where I had two meat sausages, veggies and wine. I did eat a dessert, but only about 1/2 the usual amount, and only because they were homemade goodies!!.

This has got me thinking that I need to rethink my diet.
For all the years I was living the low fat mantra I was able to keep my weight at an acceptable level counting fat grams and calories and walking a bunch but I was always hungry after meals. Since my change to LCHF a few weeks ago I am noticeably less hungry nearly all the time. Big side bonus is that the real food meals generally taste better. Where I am having a problem is with my love of rice. I spent three years of my life in Korea and got used to eating lots of rice. Cutting way back on all the other high carb items (bread, desserts, potatoes and pasta) has been relatively easy. I am going to cheat a couple times a week and have rice.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Where I am having a problem is with my love of rice. I spent three years of my life in Korea and got used to eating lots of rice. Cutting way back on all the other high carb items (bread, desserts, potatoes and pasta) has been relatively easy. I am going to cheat a couple times a week and have rice.
That is my downfall too. DW has cut out rice so I just make a little for myself which keeps the amounts down, still... I also eat chocolate chip cookies with coffee in the morning. I guess I may be a little bit over to the HCHF end.

I'm thinking I will cook up some bacon and eggs this morning.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I guess I may be a little bit over to the HCHF end.

I do buy into the LCHF approach, but I've been a life long carb junky and find it difficult to make the switch from HC and to stay disciplined over time. I really need to make this change permanent being a T2.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My issue with LCHF is sugar. I wonder if the benefits of this diet are due mostly to the elimination of added sugars. I wonder if any studies have looked at diets that eliminate or limit added sugars and highly processed carbs like white flour, but allow whole grains, etc?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My issue with LCHF is sugar. I wonder if the benefits of this diet are due mostly to the elimination of added sugars. I wonder if any studies have looked at diets that eliminate or limit added sugars and highly processed carbs like white flour, but allow whole grains, etc?
It has been shown that people on ad-lib high fat (low carb) diets eat fewer calories than people on a calorie-restricted low fat (high carb) diet. In other words, people on the high fat diet can eat the amount they want whereas people on the high carb diet have to consciously restrict the amount they eat. I think this means that fat is the active ingredient as opposed to the lack of simple carbs. Dr. Davis (Wheat Belly) believes that wheat products stimulate appetite.

On the other hand, eliminating sugar and white flour would be a great start. You should replace those calories with fat (and possibly protein if you aren't getting enough) rather than whole grain products. Whole grains are nearly as bad as white flour with regard to affecting blood sugar.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #14

A benefit I've also noticed is that the LCHF diet seems to also naturally lend itself to reducing your portion size. That was always my problem. We eat quite healthy and generally have for about 8 years but my portions were always really big and usually seconds. I blame the wife for being an awesome cook.. lol
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #15

My experience (continuing) with the Dukan Diet tells me my future is low carb and no wheat.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not trying to be a smart*ss or provocative - I am truly curious.....

Would a diet avoiding process foods, primarily flour-, corn- and sugar-based foods, match a LCHF diet in many ways?

How does the LCHF diet idea fit in with the perception that southern Europeans are generally healthier and are at much less risk of heart and vascular disease?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut
This is the approach I've been taking. I'm slowly dropping pounds and my blood sugar is much improved. I'm a vegetarian and thus can't do full on low carb, but cutting out simple/processed carbs has been powerful.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
I am not trying to be a smart*ss or provocative - I am truly curious.....

Would a diet avoiding process foods, primarily flour-, corn- and sugar-based foods, match a LCHF diet in many ways?
I really don't think so, although you're heading in the right direction. Your curiosity has so far only taken you the first step to understanding. If you read some of the authors mentioned here, particularly Gary Taubes, along with the referenced Westman bits, you'll quickly come to understand the whole LCHF paradigm. It's worth a bit of study IMHO.

Quote:
How does the LCHF diet idea fit in with the perception that southern Europeans are generally healthier and are at much less risk of heart and vascular disease?
This whole business of the various "paradoxes" derived from a cursory look at what different nations supposedly base their diets on is a many-headed hydra. Each can be explained quite handily, but once again you have to spend some time looking into the details.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Like many perceptions, this has little to do with reality.

Life Expectancy Of 14 Nations In Europe

Thsi article from Medial World News Today gives life expectancy for 14 European countries.

Ha
Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
That is my downfall too. DW has cut out rice so I just make a little for myself which keeps the amounts down, still... I also eat chocolate chip cookies with coffee in the morning. I guess I may be a little bit over to the HCHF end.

For those of you missing carbs, or avoiding LCHF because there are things you don't want to give up, know that there are low-carb alternatives for many high-carb foods.

This morning I had a slice of toasted nut bread made with flax seed meal and carbquik, with three pats of butter, Nature's Hollow low-carb strawberry jelly, lots of homemade sugar-free maple syrup, and a huge mound of sugar-free whipped cream.

I guarantee this tasted as good or better than any pancakes or waffles you'd get at a restaurant.

But you do need to make this stuff yourself, you generally can't buy good sugar-free products. For example, sugar-free chocolates are usually sweetened with maltitol, which is just about as bad as sugar. The good polyols are too expensive.

Instead of rice, we make mashed cauliflower that tastes great. It may sound bad, but it's loaded with butter and heavy whipping cream. Instead of chocolate chipped cookies we might have carbquik brownies, chocolate fudge, or cheesecake.