Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
After taking low dose aspirin for the last 15 years or so (I'm 63 no heart issues so far) my doctor told me I could stop taking it since the latest research showed it to be of no apparent help if one hasn't had heart issues. I've decided that since it doesn't seem to hurt (so far) I will continue taking it. This seems to be sort of like the coffee research one study says it will kill you, the next says it's greatest thing .

My doctor is HUGE fan of low dose aspirin. I'm 54 with no history of heart issues and he continues to tell me to take the aspirin. He's never mentioned any differences in the coated low dose aspirin versus the plain aspirin. I'm going to make sure I ask him about that next time I see him. He's also a fan of fish oil supplements.

Mike

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
My doctor is ... also a fan of fish oil supplements.
I was talking to a doctor (fairly well known locally) not long ago (just a casual meeting at a party), and the subject came up. He looked at several of us and asked if we were taking fish oil. Most of us said yes, and his next comment was "Do you know how much you're taking? Because I would bet money that none of you is taking enough."

That just got chuckles, and there was an interruption so the conversation got sidetracked, but at least I was impressed that he took it that seriously.

Back to the subject of the OP, I got curious and looked at the aspirin displays at several local drug stores. Not a single one had uncoated aspirin tablets, except for the flavored chewable kind, in any strength. It looks like they just don't make them any more.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I was talking to a doctor (fairly well known locally) not long ago (just a casual meeting at a party), and the subject came up. He looked at several of us and asked if we were taking fish oil. Most of us said yes, and his next comment was "Do you know how much you're taking? Because I would bet money that none of you is taking enough."

That just got chuckles, and there was an interruption so the conversation got sidetracked, but at least I was impressed that he took it that seriously.

Back to the subject of the OP, I got curious and looked at the aspirin displays at several local drug stores. Not a single one had uncoated aspirin tablets, except for the flavored chewable kind, in any strength. It looks like they just don't make them any more.

I have a bottle of Bayer 81mg aspirin that are safety coated. Ecotrin also has them coated. I haven't committed to doing this as I take Krill Oil and was worried about the combination of the two daily. But it appears if you take one in the morning and the other in the evening it is ok for most people. Still thinking though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's your uncoated: 325/4=81
Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Here's your uncoated: 325/4=81
No, I can't find uncoated regular strength either.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
No, I can't find uncoated regular strength either.

Duh, sorry I misread or I read what I wanted to see Braumeister.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Walgreens brand regular 325mg tablets do not indicate on the label that they are coated, so I assume they are not. They readily dissolve in my mouth without chewing - my usual method of delivery.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My doc thinks one "baby" aspirin every other day is a good compromise.

I take it first thing in the morning with a glass of water. Then eat my breakfast. Absolutely no stomach issues.

I bought a good quality Bayer brand. Cheap, who needs to save money on this one?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
They readily dissolve in my mouth without chewing - my usual method of delivery.
That is hard core. Well, at least after doing that you know that the worst part of the day is over.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I take it first thing in the morning with a glass of water. Then eat my breakfast. Absolutely no stomach issues.
I eat first, then take the aspirin
Old 08-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
My doc thinks one "baby" aspirin every other day is a good compromise.
One of the studies, I think it was the British long term trial, tested every other day use and it did not have the same good results as daily (for cancer reduction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That is hard core. Well, at least after doing that you know that the worst part of the day is over.
Piece of cake and easier on my stomach + esophageal cancer had most favorable results - I have family history risk here.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Piece of cake and easier on my stomach + esophageal cancer had most favorable results - I have family history risk here.
Interesting coincidence (?)--your signature line quotes George Harrison. The cancer that ended his life began as esophageal cancer.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #33

Coincidence on the cancer. My signature line is more metaphysical/humor - a nice mix.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One of the studies, I think it was the British long term trial, tested every other day use and it did not have the same good results as daily (for cancer reduction).
Hmmm ... this got me to do a search. Thanks for the tip.

I found a recent NYTimes article here: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

and this article references a detailed British paper here: Estimates of benefits and harms of prophylactic use of aspirin in the general population

The British one on page 5 mentions every other day aspirin has not shown clear benefits. Also mentions that one should take this for more then 3 years to see benefits. Mentions that gastrointestinal bleeding risks increase sharply above age 70.