Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
But I think the study also showed that older people tend to die at a higher rate than younger people, so that's another issue to be aware of.
That's why I'm trying very hard to not get any older, but the alternatives seem worse.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
It is also good for preventing pregnancies not a big issue at our age though.
Yes, the nuns in my grammar school used that line. They told the girls that an aspirin tablet was the best birth control method available. "Just hold it between your knees."
Old 09-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been taking a daily low-dose aspirin for quite a while now, and plan to continue. I am not convinced by this latest study, as there are a host of other studies out there that have shown a significantly reduced risk of cancer for those taking low-dose aspirin (particularly cancers of the colon, and other bowel cancers). Yes, there is some risk of gastrointestinal bleeding when you take aspirin, but that risk is quite low overall. At any rate, I'm not concerned about it, and I think the benefits probably outweigh the risks.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #44

I had high dose aspirin recommended by my doctor at the time to treat my arthritis. I used to not have any problem with my stomach, but after that seeing that quack with the aspirin suggestion, I had stomach problem. I think sensitivity toward certain food. It’s since went away. But I’m not taking any aspirin, low or not, I take a Tylenol now for pain relief, if I ever need it. Very rarely though.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Results are in from the ASPREE (ASPirin in Reducing Events in the Elderly) study and they are....

healthy elderly people (65-70yo) should not be taking a routine low dose aspirin.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/16/h...t-attacks.html

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...=featured_home
Interesting result, thanks. I will be talking with my Doc about this as that article suggests:
Quote:
But those who have already been using it regularly should not quit based on these findings, he said, recommending that they talk to their doctors first.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #46

If they wanted to test the effects of low dose aspirin why didn't they use the same strength low dose aspirin that most people use. All the low dose aspirin that I've seen in the stores is 81mg but for some reason the study provided the participants with 100mg (23% more).
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #47

US Preventative Services Task Force says LDASA for cancer prevention only in those with a 10 year cardiac event risk of greater than 10%. Otherwise risks outweigh benefits.
https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...ase-and-cancer

One can calculate their 10 year cardiac risk based on the Framingham data using this calculator: https://www.mdcalc.com/framingham-co...ase-risk-score
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
If they wanted to test the effects of low dose aspirin why didn't they use the same strength low dose aspirin that most people use. All the low dose aspirin that I've seen in the stores is 81mg but for some reason the study provided the participants with 100mg (23% more).
+1
I wondered the same thing !!
Old 09-17-2018, 03:45 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Did they use coated or un-coated pills?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

My doctor had recommended that I take low dose asperin for many years, but I forgot to take it more often than not, so I guess that in retrospect my forgetting to take it was a good thing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #51

I've been taking fish oil, low dose aspirin, vitamins, and red wine for ten years. I will let you all know how it works out.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #52

One consideration (RAE's point?), the ASPREE study was not designed to challenge the findings of earlier studies where healthy individuals started a low dose aspirin regimen at an earlier age and continued for a longer duration (say age 40 through 60) and saw reduced cancer incidence.

On the 100mg (enteric coated) dose question, I can think of three good reasons.
1) Enteric coated aspirin may be slightly less potent than uncoated (see page one of this thread)
2) Coated aspirin would be harder to detect (taste), better insulating to the placebo group.
3) Less likely to cause GI distress and consequent detection or drop out rate.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #53

I've been taking a baby aspirin for a few years at the request of my PCP and Cardiologist. Haven't had any problems. My DF used to pop aspirin big time (several a day full strength) and resulted in a couple of bleeding ulcers (one that almost killed him at 50). So, if you're healthy, I'd say you're probably better off not taking one.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
US Preventative Services Task Force says LDASA for cancer prevention only in those with a 10 year cardiac event risk of greater than 10%. Otherwise risks outweigh benefits.
https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...ase-and-cancer

I looked at the table in the link you cited, and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure why they are linking CVD risk and cancer prevention together, when advising whether it's appropriate to take low-dose aspirin. For example, I'm pretty sure my risk of having CVD within the next 10 years is less than 10% (I've done some of the CVD risk calculators), but based on many other studies I've reviewed, I still decided it's a good idea for me to take a low-dose aspirin for cancer prevention (not for reducing my risk for CVD). I guess I will have to go back and read their rationale/methodology more closely to see why they are linking the two together, but for now, I plan to keep on taking a low-dose aspirin, because the studies I've reviewed were pretty convincing re. aspirin's ability to reduce risk for bowel cancers.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
T. My doctor has recommended it for years, but every time I've tried, I wound up having frequent nosebleeds so I quit. I'm not likely to try it again.
But I think the study also showed that older people tend to die at a higher rate than younger people, so that's another issue to be aware of.
Me too, I started getting nosebleeds, so I quit.. I normally have a slow clotting time, anyway.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
One consideration (RAE's point?), the ASPREE study was not designed to challenge the findings of earlier studies where healthy individuals started a low dose aspirin regimen at an earlier age and continued for a longer duration (say age 40 through 60) and saw reduced cancer incidence.
Yes, that is definitely one reason why I think the latest study is not convincing, for me anyway. There are many peer-reviewed studies over the last couple decades that have shown that a daily low dose aspirin can reduce risk of developing colorectal and other cancers. And it's a significantly reduced risk (like 20-35%), not just a slight reduction.

Here is one paper that summarizes some of the evidence for aspirin's ability to reduce cancer risk:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3354696/
Old 09-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #57

I have been on 81mg Aspirin starting at age 48 (10 years now) per my healthcare provider protocol. So far so good. I know two people from my high school days that have suffered strokes in their 50's who rarely saw a doctor. I really don't want to go through what they are going through now. At a cost of $4.89 for a two year supply (from Costco) it's worth it as long as your body can tolerate it. My sister-in-law's husband in Switzerland has been on low dose Aspirin since age 38 to mitigate colon cancer after his DNA test confirmed a mutation for elevated colon cancer risk.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I looked at the table in the link you cited, and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure why they are linking CVD risk and cancer prevention together, when advising whether it's appropriate to take low-dose aspirin. For example, I'm pretty sure my risk of having CVD within the next 10 years is less than 10% (I've done some of the CVD risk calculators), but based on many other studies I've reviewed, I still decided it's a good idea for me to take a low-dose aspirin for cancer prevention (not for reducing my risk for CVD). I guess I will have to go back and read their rationale/methodology more closely to see why they are linking the two together, but for now, I plan to keep on taking a low-dose aspirin, because the studies I've reviewed were pretty convincing re. aspirin's ability to reduce risk for bowel cancers.

Because they are considering all risk and benefits. From a population point of view it isn't a big plus if it you need to give it to 300 people to prevent one case of colon cancer and 1000 people to save one person from death from colon cancer if it causes 1 bad GI bleed in every 200 people who take it and 1 death due to GI bleed in every 800 people who take it. The net effect becomes more deaths in those who take it than those who don't. If one's cardiac risk is >10% than you can save some lives there to make up for the increased morbidity and mortality caused by LDASA but in low risk populations (low risk for cardiac events and death) the numbers don't work. It is important to look at the big picture. Many treatments are like this. And many drug companies in researching and marketing drugs do their best to obfuscate things in this regard.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Because they are considering all risk and benefits. From a population point of view it isn't a big plus if it you need to give it to 300 people to prevent one case of colon cancer and 1000 people to save one person from death from colon cancer if it causes 1 bad GI bleed in every 200 people who take it and 1 death due to GI bleed in every 800 people who take it. The net effect becomes more deaths in those who take it than those who don't. If one's cardiac risk is >10% than you can save some lives there to make up for the increased morbidity and mortality caused by LDASA but in low risk populations (low risk for cardiac events and death) the numbers don't work. It is important to look at the big picture. Many treatments are like this. And many drug companies in researching and marketing drugs do their best to obfuscate things in this regard.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I have to wonder, though, what information they are using with regard to low-dose aspirin and cancer risk. The studies I've reviewed show a rather significant reduction in bowel cancer risk (and actually all cancers) from taking a daily low-dose aspirin, as I mentioned in my post above. I can't believe that the risks of GI bleeding outweigh the anti cancer benefits (from a population point of view). I'll have to go back and look at the table again to see if there is more info. on the data they used to come up with their recommendations.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

And I think it is worthwhile to at least consider differences in morbidity as well as mortality. If we look at just mortality, a death by GI bleed is the same as death by esophageal or colon cancer. If given the choice, I wouldn't call it a toss up.
(There's a nice, cheery post.)😕
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote