Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Alan, your father will probably outlive us all if he worked like that all his life. He must be in fantastic physical shape despite the smoking. I'll bet he's so strong as a bull physically and mentally. That was some hard life he had, and it sounds admirable.
It's odd, but you find thin people who work out and eat right dying and some people who do everything wrong (like my biological father) live forever. I really think it is the biological sweepstakes of life in most instances, and you either get the good long living genes or not. Not that I am using that as an excuse not to get my own act together.

I know this sounds sick, but I'm excited to do this....maybe I need to get a life? Sad when a diet is what you have to look forward to..ha!ha!
My father struggles with a common smokers ailment - Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) and his memory is now really bad. Now, my wife's father is a year older than my father (85) and he is super fit. Still goes bowling 2 or 3 times a week and walks miles. He has never smoked but his diet is still very high fat and low in fruit and veggies.

If you are "sick" to be excited about looking forward to a diet, then I am right there with you. ~7 years ago ( Jan, 2003) I decided, after a medical showed me with high bp, to lose weight. I set a target to drop the bp and to lose enough weight and inches by June that year to get into a particular suit that had not fit for many years for a trip to England for BIL's wedding. I really enjoyed the whole experience and in fact had to wear a belt on the pants of that suit as I lost 6" on the waist plus 40lbs. I've put 6 lbs on since plus 1.5" on the waist (), and am aiming to lose that next year when I retire.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
oh yeah, fatness is contagious...all your overweight friends and relative will unconsciously undermine you - that goes for all things...pick your friend carefully, for that is your future
We see that a lot, it is really annoying

We also get a lot of folks who assume we are just "naturally" thin and that it takes no effort

Old 11-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Orchid, if you want to address your blood sugar, there are some really good cookbooks for people with diabetes. Some of them have chapters that discuss eating plans.

Maybe try one of those and see if your blood sugar levels decrease the next time you go to the doctor?

I believe some high cholestrol problems are not caused by one's diet and therefore cannot be controlled by diet.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Would correcting the ratio's in your cholesterol numbers correct the problem?
I have an ok overall number but my hdl is sitting at 40 when it should be above 60 to be heart healthy. I'm taking fish oil capsules and avocado for that. Flax seed is also supposed to affect those numbers. Mostly I need to watch the calorie count and get on my feet and Move..

Plan b for me(version12.8) is the YOU on a diet plan. I am getting a food plan and exercise suggestion email daily.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Now I have a tad bit of blood sugar and a little high cholestrol, which I am not appreciating one bit. They said for me to go on a low fat diet and it would be solved. It isn't high enough to really take pills for, and the diet would cure it.
The guy who wrote the South Beach diet is a cardiologist. He originally developed the diet to change patients' blood chemistry (that is, to lower cholesterol, reduce blood sugar, etc.) The weight loss turned out to be a welcome side effect.

So, if your main concern is as noted above, you might accomplish a couple of goals by trying South Beach. The first 2 weeks are pretty restrictive (but not awful.) After that, you go on another phase until you get to your target weight. The final phase (for the rest of your life) isn't all that tough but you have to watch what you eat.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll check into the South Beach diet, friar1610. Heard about it on tv, but, unfortunately, this area I am in now is loaded with overweight people (big German types and big Swedes/Norwegians who came here a couple generations ago for all the manufacturing plants in the Midwest), so know noone who has done it where I'm at now.

As for smoking, my Grandfather (the professional gambler Greek one) smoked 3 packs of unfiltered cigarettes from 13 y.o. on daily. He died at 82. But I hate smoking, so that is one addiction less for me.

If I hadn't insisted on getting the Complete Blood Count at the Medical Clinic I wouldn't even know about anything wrong. Not very wrong, but I want perfect scores so "diet here I come!"

Opposite of many people, the getting up and moving for me is the easiest and most enjoyable part. The shrinking the stomach...not so much.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #27

While I am a fan of Dr. Rob's diet, I also think calories count. What I find about his diet is, it is easier for me to reduce my portion sizes on his diet. I use to eat two eggs, four to 6 pieces of bacon, toast, and coffee for breakfast. I now eat one egg two strips of bacon, and no toast. Lunch was a sandwich and chips. Now no chips and a wrap. I eat just about what ever I want for dinner, but I watch the carbs, and no seconds. We also walk between two and three miles a day. So I would say I am a DR. Rob/portion control type of guy. Hopefully knowing what different foods are doing will allow me to control the weight gain.

It will be interesting to see what today does to me. Thanksgiving dinner is a real carb feast!!!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #28

You'll still have your girlish figure tomorrow, Rustic23, I'll bet...ha! But you have really cut down your portions, because, as I remember it, you are a big guy and one egg and no toast is really cutting out alot of food. I'm amazed you can survive the a.m. on so little, so you have really shrunk that stomach I guess.

The last time I lost weight I counted calories, carbs and how many calories I burned with each exercise like an anorexic does. It works...kinda overkill, but it works.

I HATE the shrinking the stomach part where you exercise and feel starved cause you aren't suppose to eat but X calories. That is the hardest part of any diet for me. Oh well....I can do it...complaining all the time, but I can do it.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #29

I'm not an expert and I'm not advocating any specific method for anyone else but I do have some experience with the Atkins approach. Last year I decided to try it and for 90 days I did everything I could to avoid carbs. No bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, ketchup or anything else with significant carbohydrate content. The most difficult part was ordering at restaurants. I tried to limit the size of my portions and meals but I didn't attempt to limit the number of meals I enjoyed. I usually ate about six times a day. Really, it seemed like all I had time for was meal preparation and clean up. Cook, eat, cleanup wait about an hour and start again. That's the way it went. I consumed lots of calories. I made no attempt to count them. I ate as much as I wanted and I was never hungry. I did develop some powerful cravings for some of my favorite carbs but when I did I'd just eat a hunk of meat or cheese and start smiling again. During this period I also exercised 40 minutes a day six days a week. Exercise for its own sake was something I had always avoided.

At the end of that three month experiment I weighed 35 pounds less. I felt great and my friends all said "you look great" followed by the whispered question... "You're not sick are you?"

My OPINION is that it isn't a good idea to eat like that always.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #30

Really great information on this thread. I am currently part of a research study that is testing Red yeast rice as a supplement to lower cholesterol. The study will run for a year during which time I will be taking supplements and having my labs monitored. I was placed in the cohort that is going through the Lifestyles change program that teaches about diet and exercise. The diet that is being recommended and that I will be following is a Modified Mediterranean diet. It is much like that posted by Kroeran:
"mediterannean, "natural" unprocessed foods out of the field, out of the sea (not so much the inauthentic American Italian focus on pasta)"

I was already working out, and have learned that I have to step up my game a bit to improve further and had already started to make some of the dietary modifications that is being recommended in the study. I am getting good information as to why I should be doing these things.

I agree that information is king, unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there, too much of it with the Government's stamp of approval on it. Weaving though it all is daunting.
The researchers are recommending the web site Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople and using the tools and resources there to assist with formulating a diet and exercise regimen that works for you.

I also use this one from about.com that is a lot less cluttered than Sparks

Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are really serious about diet and nutrition than you should consider this:

Professional Nutrition and Fitness Software Site

Otherwise...
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #32

This is a good way to eat.

Anti-Inflammatory Diet - Dr. Weil

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I read Dr. Weil for diet and overall health issues.

Andrew Weil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe he is the best voice out there for finding a balance between traditional medicine and alternatives, and on issues such as vaccinations or organic food....advice like, never eat a non-organic strawberry, which are pesticide spunges

his book "healthy aging" is particularly good
Old 11-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #34

I have great success on the Atkins diet. It works for my body chemistry. I have heard that it works better for men than women tho.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Diets don't work. There have been oodles of diets (and a lot of wealthy diet book authors) and yet we're more obese than ever. Why?
    • South Beach is a good balance, Fit for Life is another (a complete plan that includes exercise).
  • Plan to stay on this plan for life. If you don't plan to change your habits, you might as well not start.
I agree. Went up to 20 lbs overweight in 2002. Got disgusted and did South Beach. The book emphasizes that this is a permanent change in your way of life. I lost the 20 lbs and it is crept as much as 13 lbs back, but then I go a little harder core on the eating and it drops again. I've never been back up to what I once was. It is an easy diet in that you don't have to count calories -- just use moderation and common sense.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

thumbs up to NOT dieting, but rather looking for permanent changes you can live with.

good information allows you to get the best bang for the buck when you need to dial up the discipline a notch or two and not get discouraged.

I still think people need to study all the different approaches...some personalities will enjoy the calorie accounting approach, others will find simple rules work for them.

just for fun, check out this article on bacon...

"Ever see that old Woody Allen movie Sleeper? The one where he goes to sleep in 1973 and wakes up 200 years later, only to discover that decadent foods (fudge, cream pies) turned out to be healthful? Well, here comes Jennifer McLagan, author of a book simply called Fat, telling us that 45 percent of the fat in bacon is monounsaturated, the good-for-you fat that can help lower bad cholesterol levels. Better still, bacon's monounsaturated fat turns out to be oleic acid, the same fat found in olive oil. So that means that some could argue that bacon is about half as good for you as olive oil and about 100 times more delicious. Of course, moderation is key here, and you should seek out artisanal varieties without preservatives. One of the best things about bacon is that a little goes a long way. Not convinced? Fry up just one slice along with the aromatics for a pot of soup, or chop it up and use it as a garnish for fish or sauteed greens. For more ideas, check out our Everything's Better with Bacon slideshow."

10 Surprising Health Foods: Slideshows : bonappetit.com
Old 11-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"It is no measure of good health to be well-adjusted to a sick society." --Jiddu Krishnamurti
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #38

I did the low carb thing and Atkins once. Lost alot of weight super-fast. Problem: Can't stay on it for life, and, for some reason, meat really binds me up. Each person is different as it didn't do that to my friends.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #39

My diet: Moderation. Don´t eat out of boredom. No snacking. I tend to eat frugally and no fat/sugar on the meal I am less hungry, which in my case is supper. Of course smoking and having dentures that wobble when chewing hard help a lot
Old 11-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I did the low carb thing and Atkins once. Lost alot of weight super-fast. Problem: Can't stay on it for life, and, for some reason, meat really binds me up. Each person is different as it didn't do that to my friends.
for myself, I think it is more important to learn the lesson of Atkins, and incorporate that into your lifestyle.

my view is that the lesson of Atkins is not so much about eating meat, but is more about avoiding sugar/carbs, the fast-digesting foods that convert quickly, spike your insulin and leave you starving in a couple of hours.

regardless, the more dense (fibre deficient) the diet, the more important to help things with psyllium.