Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My husband and I are not diabetics. Our last A1C number was way below the 5.8 something for diabetics. But we eat food as if we are. Low carbs, high vegetable fats, more protein, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, and we eat nuts. Stay away from alcohol, and cigarettes. Exercise almost daily, i.e. move more. Try to stay positive and avoid negative stuff. Maybe we will live longer, let's hope we do.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Yikes! Marketing!

We like Smucker's which has no added sugar, just a touch of salt.

I've come to really like the old fashioned separated PB. It took a little getting used to after all those years of blended trans-fat laden PB (yikes again!). But now that I'm used to it, I love it. I'll have to give Kroger's brand a try.
Pretty much the only PB worth eating. The nasty stuff we grew up with had sugar and partially hydrogenated fat (i.e. trans fat) added! My favorite is the Santa Cruz dark roasted crunchy PB - just peanuts and a little salt.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Yikes! Marketing!

We like Smucker's which has no added sugar, just a touch of salt.

I've come to really like the old fashioned separated PB. It took a little getting used to after all those years of blended trans-fat laden PB (yikes again!). But now that I'm used to it, I love it. I'll have to give Kroger's brand a try.
I've always preferred no-sugar-added Peanut Butter. Just peanuts and a little salt.

I'm pretty sure that the trans fat that was added to keep the oil from separating was a tiny amount. That's all that's needed to be effective. I'd be fine with that, I hate trying to get that oil stirred up. But nowadays, if it has a trace of trans fat, it probably has a bunch of other things that I don't want, like sugar.

Ah, I found a source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...?dopt=Abstract

Quote:
The fatty acid composition of 11 brands of peanut butter and paste freshly prepared from roasted peanuts was analyzed with emphasis on isomeric trans-fatty acids. No trans-fatty acids were detected in any of the samples in an analytical system with a detection threshold of 0.01% of the sample weight. Hydrogenated vegetable oils are added to peanut butters at levels of 1--2% to prevent oil separation. Some hydrogenated vegetable oils are known to be sources of trans-fatty acids in the human diet. The addition of these products was not found to result in measurable amounts of trans-fatty acids in the peanut butters analyzed
Anyone know of a PB brand w/o sugar that doesn't need to be stirred? I've been buying Trader Joe's, and Smucker's 'Old Fashioned' I think. They both need to be stirred, but taste good to me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Anyone know of a PB brand w/o sugar that doesn't need to be stirred? I've been buying Trader Joe's, and Smucker's 'Old Fashioned' I think. They both need to be stirred, but taste good to me.

-ERD50
My 'fix' for oil separation is to empty the entire contents of a new jar of PB into a large bowl and use my hand mixer to combine the oil on top with the peanut butter on the bottom. Return the contents to the jar and refrigerate. As long as it doesn't spend to much time at room temp, the oil stays well mixed in.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My 'fix' for oil separation is to empty the entire contents of a new jar of PB into a large bowl and use my hand mixer to combine the oil on top with the peanut butter on the bottom. Return the contents to the jar and refrigerate. As long as it doesn't spend to much time at room temp, the oil stays well mixed in.
Nice. I may try that.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've thought about that - should work as we keep it in the fridge once opened, so it does stay mixed at that point. Sounds a little messy though, and I am lazy. I'll take my chances with a trace amount of trans-fat if I can find one without the added sugar.

I'm not obsessive about eliminating sugar, I just prefer the taste of unsweetened PB. I put a bit of jam/preserves on top, so I'm already getting plenty of sweetness from that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you near Trader Joes? They have whole grain seeded crispbreads that are low carb/sugar (only 7g carb each), and I often use 2 of these slathered with their eggplant spread which is close to zero carb. You can add a handful of nuts or some low sugar fruit such as berries or melon.

Veggie omelet with chesse is also good.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

My go to breakfast is a cheese omelet with uncured ham or uncured
and coffee with some splenda and heavy cream.

Sometimes I plop a fried egg on top of the omelet (I know...I'm kinda )
Old 07-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My "fix" is to store the unopened jar upside down in the cupboard. When I open the jar, the peanut butter is on top. I then stir it around with a knife. Once opened, I store the jar in the refrigerator.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #70
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm not the food police, but I noticed you said your morning blood sugars tended to be higher....have you tried switching lunch and breakfast and then checking your blood sugar?
Actually I said my waking numbers are high prior to eating (e.g. dawn phenomena), but my thinking is that consuming carbs early in the day can be helpful in giving you energy to get throw the day. Cutting back carbs for lunch and then more so for dinner is usually a good strategy timing wise.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Am amazed at the people who cite a small bit of this and that, a few sliced almonds, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese...are y'all trying to be 105 pounds or something? LOL That's the way my 105-pound Mom used to eat. Half an English muffin with butter and a cup of tea for breakfast. Half a tunafish sandwich and a cup of tea for lunch. Half of this, a scrap of that. No thank you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Even DW, who is 100 lbs, eats more than that.
My wife is not 100 lbs (BMI of 21 though), and these ladies eat more than what she does for breakfast. She only has a cup of tea, no sugar, no milk.

So do I. Low carb enough for you?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My "fix" is to store the unopened jar upside down in the cupboard. When I open the jar, the peanut butter is on top. I then stir it around with a knife. Once opened, I store the jar in the refrigerator.
That helps, but I find it does not give a sufficient mix.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My wife is not 100 lbs (BMI of 21 though), and these ladies eat more than what she does for breakfast. She only has a cup of tea, no sugar, no milk.
OK...made me check DW's BMI - 18.9

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Actually I said my waking numbers are high prior to eating (e.g. dawn phenomena), but my thinking is that consuming carbs early in the day can be helpful in giving you energy to get throw the day. Cutting back carbs for lunch and then more so for dinner is usually a good strategy timing wise.
So because I'm curious about diabetes could you indulge me with a couple of questions? Are you insulin dependent and that's why you check your morning sugars? It seems counter intuitive to take carbs when the BS is higher. No problem if you don't want to answer

I know I don't understand a lot of the nuances involved. We have a close friend a life long bachelor of 65 who is really struggling with insulin control right now. He will share his problems sometimes and ask for advice so I don't want to say something that isn't helpful. And before you can say it, Yes I tell him to ask his doctor or use the internet, but he is a stubborn dude.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sensitive to eggs and don't eat most breakfast meats, so low sugar breakfasts are a challenge for me too. I like the Silver Palate Grain Berry cereal - the toasted oats version is low in sugar. I'll eat it with almond milk and some berries.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

So do I. Low carb enough for you?
Only a cup of tea? I used to be able to just have a cup of cafe au lait in the morning, and that would last me until 11:00am.
But since I've got married my husband always makes me breakfast. I said to him that it's his fault that I don't have a BMI of 21.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Not only that my wife only has a cup of tea, she does not want her tea too strong.

So, we share a tea bag. She dunks the bag in her cup for maybe 10 seconds, and lets me have it.

Two persons, one tea bag for breakfast. How cheaper can it get?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
OK...made me check DW's BMI - 18.9
Is it OK to give out one's wife's BMI?

That seems as risky as answering the question " Honey, do these jeans make me look fat?"

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Under some circumstances.....e.g. when she's not reading over your shoulder.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Any "Numbers" that are descriptive for women, in general, are not to be made public.