Join Early Retirement Today

MAGI for ACA subsidy in a partial year
Old 12-15-2015, 01:03 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

MAGI for ACA subsidy in a partial year

My DH will probably need to buy a policy via Connect for Health Colorado in Feb, 2016. However, he will only need it through Aug because he will be on Medicare in Sept. We plan on managing our MAGI so he can qualify for a subsidy.

My original thought was we would only need to maintain MAGI for as long as he is on an ACA policy. As soon as he is on Medicare, we should be able to increase MAGI with no impact on the subsidy he already received. But then I looked at IRS form 8962, it appears that my thought was incorrect. We must maintain MAGI throughout the year in order to not having to pay back the premium tax credit.

Has anyone run into this situation? Is my understanding correct?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #2

Yes, your income for the entire year is what matters. If you crank up the income after going on Medicare, you will likely have to pay some or all of the subsidy back come tax time.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you planning to get the subsidy for the six months that you will be on the ACA policy?
Since this is only part of the year you may just want to consider paying the entire (non-subsidized) premium and squaring everything on your Form 8962 when you file.

I bring this up because for 2015 it took Connect for Health eight months to get my premium tax credit and account correct. So far, it looks like 2016 will be OK. You may just want to save the time dealing with them if something goes wrong.

I do appreciate the ACA but Colorado Connect for Health not so much.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The resulting subsidy is really calculated on your taxes, not on the ACA site. Your income on the 1040 is not divided by month, but listed for the year. Boy it would be great for RE, just realize all your income in one month and get a great subsidy the reset of the year. Nope.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep, you need to add-up the income for everyone in the family for the entire year, where "family" is defined by the number of dependents. The form then does a fraction of FPL for that family size calculation.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks everyone, it makes sense that the income of entire year is what it counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
Are you planning to get the subsidy for the six months that you will be on the ACA policy?
Since this is only part of the year you may just want to consider paying the entire (non-subsidized) premium and squaring everything on your Form 8962 when you file.

I bring this up because for 2015 it took Connect for Health eight months to get my premium tax credit and account correct. So far, it looks like 2016 will be OK. You may just want to save the time dealing with them if something goes wrong.

I do appreciate the ACA but Colorado Connect for Health not so much.

@pjm-7, we also want cost sharing so we will need the tax credit up front. What was your issue that caused delay if you don't mind sharing? Thanks!