Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Maintaining Muscle Mass
Old 11-26-2006, 11:06 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney
.... We have seen some adjustable dumbbell systems like the Bowflex SelectTech that allow quick and easy switching between different weights but the 'jump' between different weights is larger than we prefer (jumps of 10 lbs instead of 5) . We may need to use a standard plate set and take the time to add/remove plates in order to get what we want.

I'd like to hear from anyone else who is RV'ing and how they handle weight training while on the road for weeks or months at a time.
I don't own them, but it looks like the Powerblock brand dumbbells are adjustable from 5-90 lbs in 2.5 lb increments...

http://www.powerblock.com/specs.html

You might also search for a book on bodyweight exercises.

Cb

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb
I don't own them, but it looks like the Powerblock brand dumbbells are adjustable from 5-90 lbs in 2.5 lb increments...
Cb -- those look nice. I see that PowerBlock has a lightweight travel weight bench for sale as well, cool. I hadn't thought about body weight exercises but that's something to think about as well.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:55 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney
I'd like to hear from anyone else who is RV'ing and how they handle weight training while on the road for weeks or months at a time.
I don't RV- but how about one of the national health club chains like Bally's or 24 hour fitness? 24 Hour Fitness is mostly in the west; Bally’s I think has a larger national footprint.

If you would not likely be in the larger cities where most of these are found, I would look into body weight exercises. Matt Furey is an expert in this area, and it appears to work quite well, or at least so he says. He is kind of heavy on the hype!

http://www.mattfurey.com/conditioning_book.html

Two of my favorite exercises are body weight, at least until I work back up to where I can hang weights from my hips during them. Dips and pull-ups will take care of the upper body. Put your mate on your back piggy-back style and do partial squats, and then yhou have taken care of your legs.

Top it off by jumping into the air 8 times, rest 30 secs, and do it again for a total of 8 sets, (64 reps)

Ha
Old 11-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I don't RV- but how about one of the national health club chains like Bally's or 24 hour fitness? 24 Hour Fitness is mostly in the west; Bally’s I think has a larger national footprint.
That's just it. You are so NOT likely to be near a medium city. I mean - who RVs to stay near bigger cities? Only folks still working.

I do occasionally take advantage of a local gym paying the day use fee, but this is more like once a month, if I'm lucky. It's just so unreliable. We don't stay anyplace long enough to take advantage (if available).

The trick is to figure out to get sufficient training without those kinds of resources.

We don't want to carry that much weight either. We have 8, 10, and 15 lb dumbbells. We're not interested in carrying anything heavier - it doesn't seem safe to have really heavy things sitting around. And I don't want to be storing a big box of weights in the basement either. We need them up in the living area where they'll be used. We also have a set of "exertube" resistance bands.

So, that means supplementing lighter weights and learning how to use the body's own weight to help maintain strength.

Thanks for the (intimidating) link.

Audrey
Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you checked out the water weights? It sounds like they might fit the RV or traveling lifesyle.

http://activeforever.com/Products.as...google-adwords

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Anything you have to fill or empty is not really usable - at least not for the continual traveller. I have a nice balancing ball - it's great for strength training and ab work. But it has to be inflated, so it is never used (no room in the RV for an inflated balance ball to just sit around). I have a smaller inflated pillow (also for ab work) - that can stow in the motorhome inflated, so it gets used plenty.

Having props ready to use and easily accessible seems to be pretty critical - at least for me.

Audrey
Old 11-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

More on working out on the road/in an RV

I have been collecting a pretty extensive set of workout DVDs. Most of them are yoga and pilates which are well suited to working out inside a motorhome.

After occasionally watching the "Total Body Sculpt" series by Gilad Janklowicz on fitness TV, I realized that it looked really promising for working out inside our RV (I had to get over the annoying presentation/hype first). I went ahead and bought the 3 "Ultimate Body Sculpt" DVDs, and they're really pretty good. The presentation is fine too - not annoying like the TV program - good, clear instruction. What a relief!

So I'm working with these Gilad DVDs quite a bit now, and DH can actually do these! He's started using them too. This is timely for these colder months where it's harder to get regular outdoor exercise.

Audrey
Old 11-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf
response to the Galt guy' greek god quip:
Which one? Do women in your are know this??

Is this what my post on maintianing muscle mass has come to? Is there anyone out there who is serious about function? Defensively and disappointedly, Windsurf
I used to be big into Nautilus and then went through a free weight circuit training gig.........now I use resistance bands that work well...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

FinanceDude:
I used to be big into Nautilus and then went through a free weight circuit training gig.........now I use resistance bands that work well...........

It's all good. The key is to do something that involves movement and resistance. In addition to muscle mass, another benefit of resistance exercise is retention of bone density. Use it or lose it. To any fitness, buff, this is preaching to the choir. But I can see that each decade will present additional challenge to stay motivated. Gains are tougher, maintaining is a challenge, and injuries can set off an entropic tail-spin. So many people just give up. The good news is that there is always a benefit; even if one is coming to it late in the game. It is one endeavor where late is better than never.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:16 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

So who has a link to someplace showing how to do a Hindu pushup or squat? Why pay Furey a fortune to learn something an old Hindu guy gave him for nothing?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
So who has a link to someplace showing how to do a Hindu pushup or squat? Why pay Furey a fortune to learn something an old Hindu guy gave him for nothing?
donheff (and others),

Here's a link for the Hindu pushup. They are difficult but doable. Have fun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_ups
Old 11-28-2006, 02:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseken
donheff (and others),

Here's a link for the Hindu pushup. They are difficult but doable. Have fun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_ups
Wikipedia is great. Here is the squat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_squat

Doing a few of these is not to bad. But that Indian guy talked about 2500 In another life time - wait, he was probably already in another lifetime