Join Early Retirement Today

Man Loses 198# in 10 Months
Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Man Loses 198# in 10 Months

Man loses 198 lbs., wins bet with wife Photos | Man loses 198 lbs., wins bet with wife Pictures - Yahoo! News

He bets his wife, then turns around and loses 198#. Take away, never challenge this guy unless you want to lose your bet.

The other thing I notice looking at these pictures, is that I can't really tell when people are fat. His before pictures don't look all that fat to me. More like any guy in a sports bar or walking down 1st Avenue to a Seahawks game.

How overweight does someone need to be before he looks fat? 250#? 300#?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Obviously it depends on how tall they are and how much muscle they have. There could be 2 guys 6'4" 275lbs with one of them having 10% body fat and the other having 30%+. One will look athletic, the other quite obese.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Obviously it depends on how tall they are and how much muscle they have. There could be 2 guys 6'4" 275lbs with one of them having 10% body fat and the other having 30%+. One will look athletic, the other quite obese.

True, but this guy clearly was obese, not NFL. He still didn't look all that fat. If I make pilgrimage to the suburbs and Wal-Mart, I'll see guys who could hide him in their overalls.

Ha
Old 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

He looked taller than average and the excess weight was fairly evenly distributed. If all the weight is in your gut it's more noticeable. Baggy clothes help hide it as well.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The other thing I notice looking at these pictures, is that I can't really tell when people are fat. His before pictures don't look all that fat to me. More like any guy in a sports bar or walking down 1st Avenue to a Seahawks game.
You just needed to find different pictures to look at:

Before:

After:

Old 11-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Looks like he went from 350 to 150
Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #7

My wife would love to get rid of 190 lbs of ugly fat.

Me.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

The guy looks emaciated and unwell. There's such a thing as overdoing it.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

He weighs 168 lbs., a few more lbs. than DH. He is probably a lot healthier than he was 10 months ago. Good for him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1083868.html
Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

He looks good to me. I imagine he is a lot more fun for his kids too. Must have been hard to run around with the kiddies at his ~360 weight.

And ladies- who would you rather mash with- Mr. Before, or Mr. After?

Ha
Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good for him! Spending a lot of time at a gym with healthy people, has reset my eye. A person at a healthy weight does look emaciated if all you normally see are average Joe and Jane Americans today. I'm not throwing stones, I need to lose weight myself. Maybe I'll bet DH I can drop 20! No wait, I'd lose.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat
Good for him! Spending a lot of time at a gym with healthy people, has reset my eye. A person at a healthy weight does look emaciated if all you normally see are average Joe and Jane Americans today. I'm not throwing stones, I need to lose weight myself. Maybe I'll bet DH I can drop 20! No wait, I'd lose.
+1. I've lost 30 pounds since last May. People are telling me I'm too skinny even though I still weigh 15 lbs more than I did at high school graduation.

We've gotten so used to seeing 'big' that I think our brains see that as normal now.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... The other thing I notice looking at these pictures, is that I can't really tell when people are fat. His before pictures don't look all that fat to me...
I believe this series of pictures was taken when he was already well on the way to lose some serious pounds. Hence, they were misleading.

In an interview, this guy said he decided to lose weight when he realized he had difficulties getting off the couch, and saw the disappointment in his wife's and kid's faces. He was consuming 8,000 to 10,000 calories a day!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
He weighs 168 lbs., a few more lbs. than DH. He is probably a lot healthier than he was 10 months ago. Good for him.
But isn't it supposed to be hard on the health to lose massive amounts of weight that fast? I'd be worried that he might have lost muscle, especially worried about heart muscle.

Not that I'm in any danger of ever losing weight too fast, so maybe this is a sour grapes post?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
+1. I've lost 30 pounds since last May. People are telling me I'm too skinny even though I still weigh 15 lbs more than I did at high school graduation.
Congratulations, and ignore them, they are just jealous.

Ha
Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But isn't it supposed to be hard on the health to lose massive amounts of weight that fast? I'd be worried that he might have lost muscle, especially worried about heart muscle.

Not that I'm in any danger of ever losing weight too fast, so maybe this is a sour grapes post?
I know, I try not to lose weight too fast either--I like to take several months to drop a couple of pounds .

I don't think he lost it "too fast", though--one article said he lost 40 lbs. the first month (at that weight, probably a ton of water that first month), so for the next 9 months it's what, 3 to 4 lbs. a week? And he worked out six days a week, so preserved muscle mass. Maybe his heart was more at risk when he had those extra 200 lbs. to pump blood to.

My crystal ball tells me a publisher has already signed him up to tell his "secret" to weight loss.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The wife should now get on the stick.

He drank 12 sodas per day!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
He looks good to me. I imagine he is a lot more fun for his kids too. Must have been hard to run around with the kiddies at his ~360 weight.

And ladies- who would you rather mash with- Mr. Before, or Mr. After?

Ha

I would go for Mr. Half way mark !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I just saw him and his family on GMA. Amazing what he ate before going a diet. He sounded sincere in keeping it off, but I would like to see a follow up segment 2 years from now. With a supporting family behind him, hopefully he will.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The wife should now get on the stick.

He drank 12 sodas per day!
I wish the articles had covered her too--for all we know she lost 50 lbs. already.