Join Early Retirement Today

Massage: Is It Worth It?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Massage: Is It Worth It?

I am way too cheap to spend the money on massage, but I did have one yesterday because it was reimbursed (I did it as a mystery/secret shopper!). I've heard people talk about how fabulous they are. It wasn't bad by any means, but I didn't achieve this wondrous state of relaxation. Didn't even get sleepy! For a lot of the massage, I felt like it was just having lotion rubbed on my arms and legs. With the back, there was a bit more pressure. No way would I pay $70 for it and then the tip.

I left not feeling any different than when I arrived! Earlier in the day, I took a Latin dance class for one hour and then did yoga for one hour, followed by the hot tub and sauna. Doing a routine like this daily keeps me feeling unstressed and pretty limber. I honestly achieve more relaxation at the end of a vigorous yoga class lying in corpse pose for ten minutes than being on the massage table for 60! No aches and pains to speak of. So---maybe it wasn't possible to feel any better! I'm glad that I know now that I am not missing anything. I'd rather keep the money!

I'm wondering---is massage really only for people who don't have a lot of aches and pains? If someone keeps fit and does yoga, is massage wasted on them? Do the frugal people here really spend the money on massage?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I work out and stretch for limberness, but I am still stiff and have aches, so yes they feel very good. But my wallet does not agree with how good they feel, so Ive only had a couple. I prefer free ones from a GF, but my current one is always complaining her hands getting tired in about a minute, so I never hold my breath for the next one. And I certainly am not giving a 10 minute one if all I get in return is that!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Massage therapists vary greatly in skill level (just like practitioners in many fields). It is important to find a masseuse who's techniques suit your needs.

I go for a massage every other week. I'm pretty frugal by nature but I find the benefits well worth the costs. I always go to the same therapist who I found through trial and error.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #4

You're not alone. I've had a few massages and did enjoy them, but felt it wasn't worth the money spent. If I had a medical reason I might feel differently.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #5

I had a use or lose massage at a spa while in Costa Rica. After being there a week and many Imperials, I could not have been any looser, before the massage.

Imperial%20Beer.jpg
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Massage therapists vary greatly in skill level (just like practitioners in many fields). It is important to find a masseuse who's techniques suit your needs.

I go for a massage every other week. I'm pretty frugal by nature but I find the benefits well worth the costs. I always go to the same therapist who I found through trial and error.
+1
I've been to really good ones, and ones where I felt like it was a waste of time and money. The better ones take the time to ask you your preferences in terms of amount of pressure and areas that they should spend the most time on. I haven't been to one in a while but eventually I'm sure I'll go back (to one of the good ones).
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Except when prescribed as therapy or recovery for elite athletes - massage is a luxury, an indulgence. Wealthy (mostly women) pampering themselves to have something to "mention" to friends. I've had several on vacation or gift certificates, but I've never paid for one. It was relaxing, though the massagee has to relax themselves, if you tense up the experience won't be the same. I never expected "wondrous" or "sleepy." If you like yoga more, I'd go with that...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #8

Gift certificates for massages are the choice of last resort in our family for the women when nothing else comes up. They're enjoyed but are a luxury; never had one myself other from DW. Son does ultra marathons and loves one the day after, says it's worth it (ran Comrades M in South Africa Sunday, 56 miles).
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #9

Had one for free when a relative took me to a famous spa, it was not particularly relaxing, and mostly just hurt. I wasn't tense at all, and I've never really had any problems with stiffness or muscle aches. Pretty sure I'll be avoiding massages even if they are free.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #10

My wife has someone come to the house every other week. She loves them. Me . . . I don't get anything from them. I can get my muscles relaxed from a hot tub or mud bath. There are, however, many different styles, some quite painful. It's one of those thing you try and then make a personal decision.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #11

I love massages - the relaxing type (Swedish). I'd get one once per week if I could. But, I'm too frugal (cheap) to pay the $60. Exercise, yoga, good food, and plenty of rest seem to do the trick with sore muscles.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Once or twice a month for the past 20 years. Fall asleep almost every time.

Keeps me loose and flexible. For me, worth every penny!

DW goes every other week. She had an accident last year and massage was the only thing that got her relief; now she's back with full mobility.

As noted, you have to find a good massage therapist; they vary greatly.

Anyone ever been to "Ten Thousand Waves" in Santa Fe? Highly recommended!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I go monthly to my massage therapist, and as an athlete, it is definitely worth it. He helps to keep me injury-free.

I agree that it depends on the therapist's qualifications. Mine was a semi-pro athlete (would have been in the Olympics if they had been held two years earlier/later) so he understands athletes. He's also the massage therapist for the local NBA and MLB teams.

I wish I were wealthy enough to go more frequently, but I must settle for monthly.

As an added bonus, he is a native speaker of my second language, so I consider my $70 well-spent as it's not only a massage but an hour-long practice of language!
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #14

For pretty much all of last year, I was getting a couple of massages every month, paying $60 per visit. I got extremely lucky finding a very good masseuse that not only charged me just $60, but also regularly spent 1 1/2 hrs doing it, instead of just one hour. We got to be pretty good friends, and there was always some great conversation. The fact that she ran a bed & breakfast only 1 mile from my apartment in Texas where I stay 4 days a week made it extra great. However, I finally decided I needed to stop spending the money, it was a luxury I could live without. It's been a few months now since my last massage, and I have to admit I've been thinking about it again.....I'm trying to resist...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #15

It takes 2 to have a positive massage experience. Given that so many men are taught from the earliest age to detach from their bodies I wonder why they even bother with massage.

Had about 8 paid massages in the US. Only bad one was a Swedish massage at a spa where the masseurs were booked solid for their whole shift. Later realized the massage was bad because she was probably conserving her energy to get through the whole day and/or knew we were all one time customers and there was no reason to perform. All other massages were done by practitioners who both came recommended by friends and who showed up at my front door with her massage table.

Shiatsu massage worked for me when I had a specific ailment. Swedish massage was relaxing but paid for it just once because I have other, cheaper ways of relaxing. I consider strong Thai massage by a knowledgeable probationer (who is willing and able to put herself through the exertion required to do it correctly) to be physical therapy that has transformed my body. My body was misaligned bundles of tight muscles before I started on a once every 10 days regiem of Thai massage. The change has been nothing short of amazing both in visible changes to my body and improvement in quality of life because my body now rests MUCH more comfortably in seats and beds. I live in Thailand, so it costs me about $13 a session (almost said 'a pop' but it's not that kind of massage). If I knew in my 20s what I know now about the effect of Thai massage I would have spent whatever it took to have done this then.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #16

Do it the Canadian way.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #17

Per an article in Science News: A study was done by a joint US-Canadian team where they stressed 10 volunteers with leg exercises and then massaged only one of the legs of each of them. They then biopsied the quadriceps muscles on both legs. The massaged legs had smaller quantities of protein related to inflammation. This represents rare objective evidence for the efficacy of massage in healing.

Muscle Massage May Speed Healing - Science News

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
gone traveling

Magic Fingers Massage Parlor (just outside the main gate of Tan San Nuht AB in Nam).

Took all your ache, pains, and other "daily stress" away. I highly recommend it (although I doubt if it is still there, some 40+ years later).

Just something I've experienced in my travels around the world, as a response to the OP ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I guess it's more relaxing if you order the happy ending.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

similar to chiropractors

they may make you feel better, true cause.. unknown