Join Early Retirement Today
May get a job, but health insurance is very high. Need advice
Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
gone traveling
May get a job, but health insurance is very high. Need advice

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me out. I am presently not working and unemployment ran out in early February of this year. I live in Massachusetts and am on MassHealth of which I pay no premium. I have run my numbers in Firecalc and it looks good for 20-23 years. I am presently 56 yrs old.

I am looking for work and would consider both part time and full. Here is my question. I just had a 2nd interview for a full time job and the manager was very impressed with me. I haven't been offered anything yet, but the benefits were explained to me. Healthcare would cost me $171 per bi-weekly pay period or about $4500/year which I believe is extremely high. The pay is only $35,000 year.

Would you accept the job if offered, or should I keep looking in hopes of finding another job with more cost effective benefits? I thought companies could charge you only a certain percentage of income for healthcare. If I stay unemployed, my healthcare is fully covered.

Would welcome any advice.

paulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
I thought companies could charge you only a certain percentage of income for healthcare.
No, they can charge as much as they want. HOWEVER -- as a result of the ACA, since you would have to pay more than 9.5% of your income in premiums for employer coverage (it's almost 13%), you would be eligible to participate in the ACA Exchange for your state and be eligible for subsidies. A $35,000 income would be under the 400% of the federal poverty line threshold, even for single filers, so you would remain eligible for subsidies on the Exchange.

That means you may have not two, but three options:

* Remain unemployed and get "free" health insurance;

* Take the job and sign up for their health insurance plan;

* Take the job, decline employer coverage and get subsidized coverage on the Marketplace.

You have to run the numbers for your specific situation to help guide you.

[Edit to add: You don't say anything about marital status or if you have a spouse that gets "affordable" employer health insurance coverage as defined by the ACA (less than 9.5% of household income). If you do, then the subsidy option is no longer in play, though you could still choose to buy unsubsidized health insurance on the Exchanges.]

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
If you're healthy, then your best bet may to take the job, decline the employer coverage and apply for a catastrophic or bronze level plan and see if you qualify for subsidy.
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
They probably figured out that most will decline it, part of corporate strategy.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote